Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: rs-ux and rs-w v0.5 released  (Read 11015 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
rs-ux and rs-w v0.5 released
« on: August 12, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »

Linux 32-bit and 64-bit versions, Windows 32-bit version.

Changes compared to v4:

- corrected errors in autosaving snapshots
- added option to display bitloading chart in expanded or compressed style
- changed filename of config file in Windows version to 'rsw.ini'
- minor cosmetic changes

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxbUtOYVZ_SCZ1BnY3RKYnN2b1U/edit

(I've removed some of the earlier versions, although they're still available in the unlikely event anyone wants them).
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: rs-ux and rs-w v0.5 released
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 07:07:56 PM »

Thank you Eric. I should be able to test the 64-bit proper version straight away.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 07:13:07 PM »

Any plans for a Mac version?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »

Any plans for a Mac version?

Unlikely, I'm afraid, unless someone could provide me with a Mac and a suitably qualified programming assistant. :)
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »

I am happy to say that the lake snapsnot problem has now been resolved. Also the regular & expanded Bitloading graphs are produced, as expected.

I have deliberately configured the directory location, to which snapshots and periodic graphs are saved, without the suffix "/". I shall have an answer in less than an hour's time.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:11:44 PM »

The option to view bit-loading in compressed & expanded views is really useful, particularly for VDSL2 connections that use up to 16 times as many tones as ADSL1 & ADSL2 connections.

I have set up & am currently awaiting the automated snapshots, so I have attached manual bit-loading snapshots to demonstrate the compressed & expanded views accordingly.

The blue "shared or other" bit loading now looks correct too.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 09:28:45 PM »

I am happy to report that I have now had a successful trio of graphs, generated automagically.  :)

So it's  :thumbs:  from The Cattery.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 09:31:13 PM by burakkucat »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 10:33:45 PM »

Thanks for confirming it. :)
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 11:27:26 AM »

I can also confirm that auto-generated snapshots are now working on my Windows 7 machine.

I am using the default 2 hour window, but snapshots were generated at these times (not quite 2 hour intervals):-

21:21
23:16
01:11
03:06
05:01
06:56
08:51
10:46

The auto generated Bit-loading snapshot alternates between compressed or expanded view (whichever is selected in the GUI - or not).

It might be nice to chose which to default to, regardless of which version was last viewed in the GUI.

For my VDSL2 connection, I hoped to generate lots of compressed view for analysis/comparison, but I forgot to switch back to compressed view & thus now have a mixed bag of snapshots.

I can always start again & rely on my memory to force the correct version for auto generated snapshots, but................. ;)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 01:09:56 PM »

I can also confirm that auto-generated snapshots are now working on my Windows 7 machine.

Thanks for confirming that.

I am using the default 2 hour window, but snapshots were generated at these times (not quite 2 hour intervals):-

21:21
23:16
01:11
03:06
05:01
06:56
08:51
10:46

I allowed 5 minutes overlap between snapshots to make sure that nothing was lost in rounding errors and processing time, but it's probably a lot more than is necessary.

The auto generated Bit-loading snapshot alternates between compressed or expanded view (whichever is selected in the GUI - or not).

It might be nice to chose which to default to, regardless of which version was last viewed in the GUI.

That's a good point. I'll look at it.

I'm going to try to improve the presentation of the compressed snapshots. The one which you showed earlier had a lot of wasted space at the right hand side where there was no bitloading. I plan to trim the extent of the chart to just the range of tones actually used (plus a few).

And I've had a closer look at the profile bands, and I think that I've got it a bit wrong still. I've looked at the band info which you provided, and also the Digital Region bands, and I find that the only area of overlap is between tones 32 and 95. In the higher bands, there are upstream/downstream crossover points at tones 868, 1208, 1970 and 2780 which accommodate all the band plans with no overlap.
  Eric

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 07:39:26 PM »

I'm going to try to improve the presentation of the compressed snapshots. The one which you showed earlier had a lot of wasted space at the right hand side where there was no bitloading. I plan to trim the extent of the chart to just the range of tones actually used (plus a few).

It's only wasted on my connection as attenuation over distance from the cabinet is too high to actually use the higher tone bands.

See the attached for a connection that CAN actually use them.
Just look at the Attainable rates.
That connection is only around 80m from the cabinet though.

It's also useful to see what is/isn't being used from the theoretical maximum, so personally, I would show all 4096 tones along the x axis, whether actually used or not.
It really highlights the difference between good & poor connections.

And I've had a closer look at the profile bands, and I think that I've got it a bit wrong still. I've looked at the band info which you provided, and also the Digital Region bands, and I find that the only area of overlap is between tones 32 and 95. In the higher bands, there are upstream/downstream crossover points at tones 868, 1208, 1970 and 2780 which accommodate all the band plans with no overlap.

Yes, but there are also some "other" populated (not overlapped) tones between "official" band plans (i.e. between DS tone 859 & US tone 868 on a Huawei DSLAM).

Cheers,

Paul.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 08:09:36 PM »

It's also useful to see what is/isn't being used from the theoretical maximum, so personally, I would show all 4096 tones along the x axis, whether actually used or not.
It really highlights the difference between good & poor connections.

OK, I'll leave it as it is then.

Yes, but there are also some "other" populated (not overlapped) tones between "official" band plans (i.e. between DS tone 859 & US tone 868 on a Huawei DSLAM).

Oh I see, I didn't realise that some of the unallocated tones are actually used. They'll have to be blue then.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 10:23:38 AM »

Eric I may be doing something wrong or not understanding but I see no option to set the snapshot interval, unless it uses the time per page setting. Also when started with no existing settings the snapshot default folder still has a trailing slash. This is the 32 bit Linux version.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »

Stuart,

The snapshot interval is the time per page (minus 5 minutes at present, but will be minus 2 minutes). The snapshot directory needs a trailing slash, so that's what it has by default; however, because the user can enter a path manually, possibly without the trailing slash, the program can cope with either situation. It's not causing a problem is it?
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 07:22:13 PM »

Stuart,

The snapshot interval is the time per page (minus 5 minutes at present, but will be minus 2 minutes). The snapshot directory needs a trailing slash, so that's what it has by default; however, because the user can enter a path manually, possibly without the trailing slash, the program can cope with either situation. It's not causing a problem is it?

No problems at all just observations....  thanks.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2