Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Port Forwarding issue on BT Hub v3 type A  (Read 4440 times)

sand_danser

• Just arrived
Port Forwarding issue on BT Hub v3 type A
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:38:16 AM »

I'm setting up a Swann DVR & CCTV system to work with an iphone which I've done a good few times now & know what I'm doing but this Hub has got me done in! It seems that it's port forwarding capabilities are either broken or buggy? Apparently the Hub v3 type B works fine for this job but the clients struggling to get one so I need to get it sorted today.

I've set up a static IP/host on DYN and made sure uPnP is enabled (although the hub does have an advanced/enhanced security option ticked by default)
I've tried enabling DMZ for the DVR with no success and disabling the firewall etc. but all to no avail. It's definitely the router to blame as I set up my CCTV on the clients iPhone without any issues.

I've so far read that the hub sets up a v6 IP address by default and I need to set it up as v4 manually (never seen the option last visit) and I've also read that I should set up a static LAN IP outside the LAN pool so that the forwarded port works with it. I'll try this today when I go back but if anyone here has any tips on this I'd appreciate it  :)

tia

Andy
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 10:45:09 AM by sand_danser »

SecTSys

• I only work with HTCPCP
    • Putney Computers Facebook page
Re: Port Forwarding issue on BT Hub v3 type A
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:36:22 AM »

hehehe.. - ah the great BT Homehub port forwarding issue...

I posted recently on BT Forums about this though it was for MW3 Strict NAT settings i will admit - but technically the same principle!

http://community.bt.com/t5/Other-BB-Queries/BT-Home-hub-Online-gaming-NAT-type-Strict-Solution/td-p/197207/page/3

Look for STS thats me - there is a long post there that i posted on the subject. - and not just for mw3 - i "tried" to generalise it.
Visit the Live Gaming Website STSLG Website
Visit my YouTube gaming channel at STS Live Gaming

sand_danser

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 11:25:32 AM »

thanks for the reply STS and the link, I came back in to say I got it sorted and with help from Keith in the BT Forums. Turns out the HH3 Type A doesn't let you reserve IP's and instead you have to create an application with the port to forward (18004) then go to 'devices' and assign the application to the static IP address of the DVR which is set outside of the LAN pool with uPNP off at both ends.
The setup is completely the opposite of 'normal' routers which threw me completely but I always get there in the end  8) I'm going to log everything I did and knock something up to share 'cos there's loads of people having this issue with BT gear. Also, I had to reset the HH3 to lose the DVR from DHCP, once I did that and put all the details in again it worked. Turns out that DHCP was interfering with the connection/forwarding and I was unable to assign the application to the device as it wasn't listed ???

thanks again

Andy

SecTSys

• I only work with HTCPCP
    • Putney Computers Facebook page
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:42:23 PM »

f you could that would be grand!
Visit the Live Gaming Website STSLG Website
Visit my YouTube gaming channel at STS Live Gaming

anything