Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HDD from Sky+ box  (Read 4369 times)

Shaft

HDD from Sky+ box
« on: August 24, 2012, 02:03:40 PM »

I am not sure if this is the correct place.
I cancelled my Sky contract and found that I couldn't watch the stuff I recorded previously.   I stripped down the box and took out the HDD (160gb) thinking perhaps I could transfer the irems from it to my PC with the usb gadget I have, problem is even tho the gadget is working the HDD doesn't show on my PC, have they somehow done something to the HDD so it won't work with a PC and is there any way I can transfer the stuff?   The stuff being about 9 episodes of Spooks.
Any thoughts?
Shaft (aka Rob)

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
Re: HDD from Sky+ box
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 03:01:34 PM »

Rod
Usually in PVRs a version of Linux/Unix is used to manage the HDD.
Tony

Shaft

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »

Hi, so would I need Linux or something to open it?

Rob

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 03:07:46 PM »

. . . and the disk could also be encrypted. Just like certain games consoles, e.g. a PS3.

I suspect that our resident Asbokid may have some thoughts on the subject. In the mean-time, look after that disk and do not try anything else with it. I'm sure the data can be copied from it. The next step would be to decrypt it if, indeed, encryption is involved.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:31:15 PM »

Rob (sorry about the Rod)
It takes more than just a Linux distro install I'm afraid. If you Google "Downloading from PVR" or somesuch you will find a lot of people have put a lot of work into doing this with varying degrees of success. By all accounts it's not easy.
Tony

Shaft

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 05:15:33 PM »

Thanks for the info, I will look and see.

Rob

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 05:53:50 PM »

FeeFiFoFum!

Sorry, no, I don't know anything about Sky+.  Though recall in the distant past, a hi-tec enterprise hidden deep in the Cambridgeshire fenlands (betwixt haystack and cowsheds) that was churning out its very own (non-)brand of Sky viewing cards. At its height, manufacturing peaked at thousands of units per week  :D

These illicit devices used a humble PIC16 microcontroller to provide an SPI/UART interface to connect by serial cable to a PC.   The "special" card was inserted into the viewing card slot of the Sky Box.  Just as a real viewing card should be inserted.  However, the PC ran Sky's decryption algorithm and fed the decrypted data back to the Sky box via the UART/SPI.    Thereby allowing the householder to enjoy the full services of Sky TV while spending the Sky subscription fee on something more sensible instead (e.g. beer and popcorn) :)

Mister Keith Rupert Murdoch, AC, KSG (billionaire proprietor of Sky TV) didn't like these liberating entrepreneurs one jot. And so the Dirty Digger (as he is known to friends) hopped into bed with the
Rt.Hon. Gordon Brown, Prime Minister of the Day.   Determined to stamp out this vile new trade, they worked late into the night on a final solution. By day-break they had drafted the notorious Prevention of Sky TV Viewing Card Terrorism Offences (Death By Hanging) Act 2007.  And alas soon it was to become law. :(

Of course Mr Murdoch and Sky TV are no strangers to hacking themselves.  Back in March, BBC Panorama revealed that Murdoch had paid contractors to hack the encryption system of rival ONDigital, to destroy its revenue stream [1]    Naughty boy - slap his legs! 

LEGGING IT: Rupert Murdoch leaves the Leveson Inquiry into the
News International phone hacking scandal

[1] http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17494723
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:44:30 PM by asbokid »

anything