Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: OOH !!! OOH !!!! I Spy A Shiny New FTTC CAB !!  (Read 28116 times)

smucat

Re: OOH !!! OOH !!!! I Spy A Shiny New FTTC CAB !!
« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2012, 09:08:27 PM »

@ waltergmw

Oh, to clarify you are saying that the ECI 128 and 256 are the same dimensions?

As a newbie here I'll try not to second guess anyone, but it seems strange that they would derate the capacity for the sake of another 50 pr. I'm wondering if they've got later upgrades in mind where they'll increase the DSLAM loadings and put in another 100 pair at the same time.
And another question arises as to how many subs on a typical PCP. I'll have to do some more reading of previous posts here.
Thanks for the replies so far :)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »

@ smucat,

Yes exactly the same. The only difference is in the cards populated with the same rack @ 64 lines per card.
More importantly, and quite incredibly where there is no VM competition they don't bother to put all the IDC blocks or link cables in. Also the block arrangements are such that you would be bridging the blocks across the tie cables. At present each 128 block set has a single 100 pr cable set. if you want to add the last 50 you either end up with a rat's nest of overlapping cables or you shift the second 100 pr up to complete the missing 28 pairs and then start mid-cable on the second 128 leaving the last 50 off the second block to the 50 pr.
Bearing in mind the whole design is KISS a far as the Openreach fellas are concerned, it seems as if they are not expecting to deploy field engineering staff.

Why they don't design a cabinet with a capacity for 500 services, but only populated as required beats me.
Instead of which you see the vast expense of installing a second cabinet.

PCPs come in different sizes with different numbers of cables. Perhaps BS can help but I'd guess rural cabinets can be anything from a couple of hundred up to around 600 lines.
If you really ant to spend months counting there is always the BT PCP to Postcode database in the public domain.

Kind regards,
Walter

smucat

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »

@ waltergmw

Thanks Walter, you guys really do have your paws on the lines.

I'm always happy to speculate on the ways of Beattie. The Huawei cabs were purchased first and the large 288 ones aren't popular with the NIMBY folks, so an even larger cab wouldn't be good news. The ECI 256 seems a better solution and on the basis of ''lock 'em and leave 'em'' the cabling mess wouldn't be a problem. And all jumpering for new FTTC subs is done in the PCP [Is that right?]. With planners being placed in the field to match the increasing demand of FTTC home installs it's a mad rush to meet targets before someone in the City decides it's under-performing!

Talking of large cabs, there were trials of 'all in one' and 'top box' combined PCPs and FTTCs. Have any such animals been spotted in the wild?
And can you explain what a 're-shell' of a PCP involves?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2012, 03:04:08 PM »

@ smucat,

Now if someone was actually trying to solve the capacity problem for FTTC they could always do as the then Rutland Telecoms did and INSIST on isolated D side lines (AKA FMP in BT Speak). That way would halve the block count and save a small copper fortune on the second tie cable. Anybody insisting on a battery backed phone line could buy it direct from the PCP. The rest could buy a small UPS so they could still use their laptops and iPads in a power outage.

I've only seen the pictures of prototype units as you describe. Again, if they could get over the perceived finger-poking problems by "ordinary BT Openreach folk" it would be so much better in cramped footpath conditions than running very long tie cables elsewhere.

Re-shell or re-sleeve is replacing the often cast iron cabinet skins with larger sheet metal ones to accommodate the new tie cable termination "French Onion Mans" assemblies.
Here's a picture of how NOT to do it !

http://www.scribd.com/doc/97538956/Reversed-PCP-5352

Kind regards,
Walter

smucat

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2012, 04:04:09 PM »

@ waltergmw

Thanks, I understand some of that, but I'm not an engineer, so I don't know what you mean by isolated D sides. In a PCP, the E sides are the pairs from the exchange. The D sides go (finally) U/G or O/H to the subs. The D & E sides get rejumpered to a broadband 'in' and out' strip on the passive side of the FTTC cab.
If isolated 'D sides' meant loss of POTs service in a power outage, then there would be licence implications? Sorry, knowledge is lacking...

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2012, 09:22:40 PM »

@ smucat,

You have understood the construction precisely ! Although there were some implications I believe they were recognised and any VDSL service requiring a telephone service via the broadband service were supplied with UPS units thus satisfying Ofcom. These points were clearly explained in the literature. I also believe the Openreach price schedule includes both SMPF and FMP prices at that time as required by Ofcom.

Kind regards,
Walter

smucat

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »

If you really ant to spend months counting there is always the BT PCP to Postcode database in the public domain.

Kind regards,
Walter

When there's nothing on TV, I might. Do you have a URL please?

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2012, 07:42:35 PM »

@ smucat,

I suspect most sites have now long since disappeared. The behemoth was decidedly displeased so I understand !

However if you were to obtain the very best cut of wild salmon and proffer it towards a renowned master-pussy it is possible he could provide a set of files of very large proportions.

Kind regards,
Walter

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2012, 08:09:33 PM »

Yucky!  :tongue:  I don't like fish. The live in an environment contaminated by human effluent.  :sick:

However not being an associate of the Evil Empire, I am willing to send a 6.3 MB ZIP file to a certain cat's e-mail address that I have got, on-file, here in The Cattery. Please note that the file is now eleven months out of date but it still contains useful information.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2012, 09:04:42 AM »

Being a man of senior leisure I have been spending  moments already working out the number of premises linked to my cabinet [p12]. The ratio of addresses to cabinet capacity is quite high already. Some addresses are urban and some have rural postcodes. Will post idc ( to add to your boredom >:D ;D).

smucat

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

I briefly watched Morrison's (not the supermarket) dig up the 'council tax paid for' block paving'-footway this morning as they located the main street power cable and dug a small trench to the FTTC H288. I expect that M J Quinn or UK Power will arrive on Monday to complete the connection?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2012, 10:04:42 PM »

Yes and no. Maybe and probably. Is the tide high in Dartford Creek? Where are we in the current sun-spot cycle? Who knows the innermost secrets of Beattie's boudoir? Not I.

:P

smucat

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2012, 11:56:35 AM »

The tide is now high at 'Dartford Creek', but the plain white van is not helping establish the contractor's name. :no:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2012, 11:57:50 PM »

. . . but the plain white van . . .

Oh no!  :o  That could be interpreted as the local division of 'Pikey's R Us' are in action, 'on the rob'.  :-\

smucat

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2012, 08:47:37 AM »

. . . but the plain white van . . .

...apart from the 'flammable gas' red warning diamonds on the outside.

And indeed they did appear to 'appropriate' a section of the power cable, leaving a plastic joint in its place, as well as a new armoured (?) lead-in for the cab. I expect fellow Kitizens are familiar with the process :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4