Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: OOH !!! OOH !!!! I Spy A Shiny New FTTC CAB !!  (Read 28117 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: OOH !!! OOH !!!! I Spy A Shiny New FTTC CAB !!
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:28 PM »

If I were the examiner, I would find it rather difficult to fail a candidate with such a nice looking avatar.  ;D

Thanks BC that Avatar is the only Best friend left, as I my other friend two weeks ago roamed to far near a busy road  :'(

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2012, 09:56:37 PM »

I'm sorry to read that. How sad.  :'(
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 11:07:21 AM »

IIRC the FTTC cab twinned with the PCP that serves my address is the smaller 100 version. Stupidly I have lost the link to the spreadsheet that listed cab against post code, and the number of premises  I thought allocated exceeds 100.

Anyone got that link for this dimbo? :-[

Anyone?

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »

After a long delve have found the SS issued by BT 04/11.
I wonder if the allocation of the PCPs is  that reliable, as I have not even got through 50% of the postcodes supposedly on the same PCP as mine and adjusted to the %ages forecast to have a FTTC service, and there are over 400 addresses.

Now some are commercial premises and some will not have phones, but they will be insignificant.

Even if the PCP and FTTC cab are higher capacity than thought, which I doubt, I reckon BT would be unlikely to pass stage 1 primary maths.

Alex Atkin UK

• Addicted Kitizen
    • Thinkbroadband Quality Monitors
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 07:53:08 PM »

Whether its worth the extra money or not depends on how far away you are from it.

it seems that Infinity 2 rapidly loses performance over certain distances.

The chart below was supplied by Thinkbroad,it is for Digital Region,whether its the same for other fibre connections I'm not sure but it will give you a rough idea.

I'm not sure that table is very helpful, seeing as what you need to know is line length to cabinet rather than line-of-sight distance to cabinet, which it appears that chart is based on. 

There are plenty of reports of people being very close to the cabinet but the actual line goes round their estate before going back to the cabinet, making them actually quite far away in line length.

I myself am around 110M from the cabinet with my line length approximately 230M to the cabinet (based on tracing my lines real path on Google Earth). 

My max attainable speed is ALWAYS over 110Mbit (thank you HG612).  However, Digital Region in their infinite wisdom have me capped at 70Mbit, in fact they currently cap ALL residential customers at 70Mbit max.

So it makes that table all the more questionable as how can they know how close you need to be to get 100Mbit if nobody on the network is being allowed to sync at that speed?

If its based on speed test results then that is even less accurate, as the TBB speed test NEVER achieves my maximum data rate, speedtest.net does however.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:57:21 PM by Alex Atkin UK »
Broadband: Zen Full Fibre 900 + Three 5G Routers: pfSense (Intel N100) + Huawei CPE Pro 2 H122-373 WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX
Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX My Broadband History & Ping Monitors

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2012, 09:57:03 PM »

To give some reference my parents are about 200m from an fttc. add 15m for the pole, about 35m of drop wire. 4 m of lead-in to the nte (star wiring and hr dis removed  :angel:)  plus say an average 2m per ug box of which there's about 5

There downstream is about 39 Mbps

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 01:42:45 AM »

Here is one clear datum point for you all.

I have electronically measured (with an ex-Beatie Tester 301C) the distance of my neighbour's pair from his NTE5/A to the FTTC DSLAM at 395 metres. It is a copper pair, with no aluminium used in the metallic path.

The results of a throughput speed test and the usual graphs are attached, below, for his BT Infinity 1 (40/10 Mbps) Broadband connection.

Note that the attainable rate shows as 25574 kbps US and 66764 kbps DS.

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 09:50:40 AM »

nice one walter, saves me taking the pic ;)  that's the fella that's pitched up about 2 ft from the pcp.

Is it "in the hedge" (like the PCP) or out on the pavement?

sorry Mr *Cat, I missed this question..... it's on the pavement, not in the hedge :) 

They have been busy around us, and I've counted at least 3 new cabs have gone in, and what looks like prep for a fourth....
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »

My "repaired" connection is reported as 1186m from the cabinet using a BT 301C tester & just less than 1000m when the most likely route was measured with a trundle wheel.

DS Sync speeds have been as high as 33Mbps - 35Mbps (Interleaving OFF) & are currently around 27.5Mbps - 28.5Mbps (Interleaving ON).

DS Attainable Rate is usually around 33Mbps (slightly lower overnight).

US sync speed is usually around 4.5Mbps as is US Attainable Rate (US Interleaving is usually OFF).

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 08:27:45 PM »

sorry Mr *Cat, I missed this question..... it's on the pavement, not in the hedge :) 

No problems. I had forgotten that I had asked it!  ::)

smucat

« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »

Surly it should look like this inside ? http://superfastnorthamptonshire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/fttc.jpg

I'm not sure if I'd like a cab in the front parlour, but it would look great in the back garden next to my K8! As a newbie, I'm gathering info on DSLAMs as part of a 'street furniture' project rather than a 'how fast can I go' quest, but the tech specs/builds are interesting nonetheless.

I haven't seen any actual ECI cabs, but it appears that they have more vent holes than the Huawei types? Is there any other way to spot the difference?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 07:21:24 PM »

Hi smucat and welcome. :)

You may be interested in the following thread which shows the fttc street furniture.
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=11819.0

Since you mention an interest in the ECI cabs, I posted a few internal pics, 
http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11701.0.html

I'll  add link to the thread in a moment (im on a mobile device which tends to bin the post if I try add links at the same time).

--
Edited to add links

« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:26:17 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 07:43:16 PM »

Further to the above, I just noticed you may have already put your paws into the thread in the first post I linked to ;)  but just to clarify check out the video that b*cat linked to in there.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

smucat

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 08:08:12 PM »

Further to the above, I just noticed you may have already put your paws into the thread in the first post I linked to ;)  but just to clarify check out the video that b*cat linked to in there.

Hello Kitz. Yes, been there, seen that, and indeed thanks to b*cat for sight. I wondered how the presenter got away with naming the DSLAM a module rather than a multiplexer. I'm apt to go leaping about, so I'm grateful to you for shining a light along the fibres to highlight the routes  8)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 08:26:00 PM »

@ smucat,

You are correct about the additional ventilation holes for ECI cabinets, but if you are going into BKK mode he will insist you differentiate between an ECI 128 and and ECI 256 which have identical cabinets.
That is an impossible quest from the outside but easy if the doors are open as the installation progresses.
You can guess the size if the associated joint pit is open as the ECI 128 only has one pair of 100 pr cables whereas the ECI 256 seems to have two pairs.
(I've yet to see if a further 50 pr set is added too. That's another job for Kitz next time her radar detects an open joint pit by her FTTCs !)

Talking of doors the ECI cabinets have the old standard triangle door catches whereas the Huawei ones have star catches.
Both do have security locks fitted in the central bar casing, but only after the cabinet is fully commissioned with power and all the cables in place.

Kind regards,
Walter
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

anything