Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: OOH !!! OOH !!!! I Spy A Shiny New FTTC CAB !!  (Read 28118 times)

GunJack

• Reg Member
OOH !!! OOH !!!! I Spy A Shiny New FTTC CAB !!
« on: August 07, 2012, 10:25:33 PM »

Well, it looks like the Autumn estimates for my area to get FTTC are beginning to look pretty accurate....was up the road in the vicinity of my pcp today....and there's a shiny new "growth" a couple of feet away from it !!!!  It's one of the smaller FTTC cabs, slightly surprised, but what kind of line quantity can the smaller ones (about 1m high by around 60-ish cm wide) take ??

Just for b*cat, I'll sort out a piccie when I get chance :)

Although, still don't know if it's going to be worth an extra tenner a month.....
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

crystal_ship

Re: OOH !!! OOH !!!! I Spy A Shiny New FTTC CAB !!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:42:33 PM »

Whether its worth the extra money or not depends on how far away you are from it.

it seems that Infinity 2 rapidly loses performance over certain distances. Have a look at the numerous complaints in the BT Infinity forum.

I really hope BT fix this problem. Vectoring (a means to reduce the ill effects caused by cross talk) seems to be a million years away from becoming reality....

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 03:04:32 AM »

what kind of line quantity can the smaller ones (about 1m high by around 60-ish cm wide) take ??

Just for b*cat, I'll sort out a piccie when I get chance :)

Those dimensions (although in alien units) do not seem familiar to me so, yes please, a photograph will be interesting to examine.

I also know that Walter will be interested in any details about the new cabinet.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 08:38:54 AM »

Whether its worth the extra money or not depends on how far away you are from it.

it seems that Infinity 2 rapidly loses performance over certain distances.

Just because it is FTTC doesn't necessary mean mega fast speeds,the distance the old copper(or aluminium) cable runs from your house to the street cabinet can have a large impact on what speeds you can get.
My house is less than 200m walking distance from the fibre street cabinet,yet the estimation for the length the old copper cable runs is 861m,which gives me a rough speed of 22mb down and 8mb up(on a 24/10 package with Origin BB)

The chart below was supplied by Thinkbroad,it is for Digital Region,whether its the same for other fibre connections I'm not sure but it will give you a rough idea.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »

I live 644 metres  (Google) from cab and do not use FTTC but BT/PN rate estimate is 25.6

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 04:49:10 PM »

Hi Renluop,

Your picture will probably look like the one below if it's the Israeli manufactured one.
As the name suggests it can be either a 128 service or a 256 service version which are the same external size.
However the actual capacity is limited by the number of tie cables 2 * 100 pr = 100 services or 4 * 100 pr = 200 services.

This is what the a 100 service PCP looks like with the tie cables terminated on the right hand side of the cabinet.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/102678991/PCP-19-FTTC-Tie-Cables-Installed

For a 200 service there will be two more cables stripped further down the same termination unit.
(Note also that there are some PCPs with IDC blocks some of which have new ones for the tie cables and some don't !)

Kind regards,
Walter

GunJack

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 11:45:18 AM »

nice one walter, saves me taking the pic ;)  that's the fella that's pitched up about 2 ft from the pcp.
8)..........Gettin' There, Wherever There is..........8)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 03:39:35 PM »

nice one walter, saves me taking the pic ;)  that's the fella that's pitched up about 2 ft from the pcp.

Is it "in the hedge" (like the PCP) or out on the pavement?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »

That Image of a Cabinet that waltergmw provided looks very messy  :o

Surly it should look like this inside ? http://superfastnorthamptonshire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/fttc.jpg

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 05:22:32 PM »

Surly it should look like this inside ? http://superfastnorthamptonshire.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/fttc.jpg

:no:  The image you have linked to is of the inside of a "big" Huawei FTTC, whereas the image that Walter has provided is of the exterior of the "smaller" ECI FTTC. The internal image, to which Walter provides a link, is of the FTTC's twin, the PCP;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:27:01 PM by burakkucat »

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 06:53:34 PM »

IIRC the FTTC cab twinned with the PCP that serves my address is the smaller 100 version. Stupidly I have lost the link to the spreadsheet that listed cab against post code, and the number of premises  I thought allocated exceeds 100.

Anyone got that link for this dimbo? :-[

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »

:no:  The image you have linked to is of the inside of a "big" Huawei FTTC, whereas the image that Walter has provided is of the exterior of the "smaller" ECI FTTC. The internal image, to which Walter provides a link, is of the FTTC's twin, the PCP;)

Thanks for FTTC Cab lesson 1, Ill never get my OR/BT exam  ???

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 10:20:21 PM »

If I were the examiner, I would find it rather difficult to fail a candidate with such a nice looking avatar.  ;D

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 07:22:17 AM »

Thanks for FTTC Cab lesson 1, Ill never get my OR/BT exam  ???

I wouldn't worry, you'd probably get slotted in at tier 2 management. If you'd have shown us a phot of a Virgin Media cab, then tier 5 management would have beckoned.  ;D :'( ;D

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 07:10:34 PM »

Do I detect an outbreak of heresy without the Openreack ranks?  :-\

Could the various customer-facing support tiers really be staffed by "numpty script-reading monkeys"?  :-X

Pages: [1] 2 3 4