Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 999  (Read 3385 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:44:12 PM »

Having had to use the 999 service myself this morning, in the small hours, I thought this was maybe an apt time to mention this wonderful service by way of a few small words. Something else the UK has to be proud of.

BTW, my circumstances meant I requested an ambulance, as I thought my wife was having a stroke, it was up there with one of the scariest moments of my life. The two paramedics that turned up were fantastic, calming both myself and my wife down and going about their business whilst allaying our fears that she had endured a stroke. They arrived within minutes of the call, and stayed with us for approx. 2hrs, until the situation became manageable by my wife. Fantastic, wonderful service.

BT's 999 emergency call service (The world's first), recently celebrated it's 75th anniversary after being launched on 30 June 1937. It was brought into being after the deaths of five women, in a fire at a London surgeons home in November 1935.

Glasgow was next to have the service, followed by its extention to all major towns and cities by 1948. The first week of service in 1937, saw more than 1000 calls made to the new number. This is compared with the current average of 597,000 calls made a week across the UK.

The operators at call centres around the UK, answer more than 98% of the 31 million calls made annually from fixed and mobile phones, within 5 seconds.

As with most things, one doesn't really appreciate something until it's needed or it's taken away.  :-[

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: 999
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:54:57 PM »

It's a first class service, and I'm really pleased to hear that your wife is OK, after a very frightening experience.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 03:58:02 PM »

Thanks Eric. Appreciate it. :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:11:46 PM »

BTW, my circumstances meant I requested an ambulance, as I thought my wife was having a stroke, it was up there with one of the scariest moments of my life. The two paramedics that turned up were fantastic, calming both myself and my wife down and going about their business whilst allaying our fears that she had endured a stroke. They arrived within minutes of the call, and stayed with us for approx. 2hrs, until the situation became manageable by my wife. Fantastic, wonderful service.

That must have been quite a worrying (if not frightening) time for you both.  :'(

I'm pleased to read that the primary need was resolved and Mrs Sheep is no longer regarded as critical. (I trust you will ensure that she has a consultation with your GP as a follow-up . . . If needs be, holes, poles, pairs and booked fault calls should be swept aside to ensure that SWMBO has such a consultation.)  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »

Ha ha, BK. She is going to the Doctors (as stringently reccomended by the Paramedics) tomorrow mate. Cheers pal. :)

I'm sure we've all had cause to ring 999 at some time in our lives, and I for one am massively glad that help is just a simple phone call away.  :)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »

I'm sure we've all had cause to ring 999 at some time in our lives, and I for one am massively glad that help is just a simple phone call away.  :)

Yes, indeed.  :thumbs:

I have had the need to use the service a handful of occasions so far in my lifetime -- all, bar once, to the "Public Law and Order Division" (a.k.a. PLOD) and once for paramedic assistance. (In the latter case, nothing could be done . . .  :(  )
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:24:46 AM »

Best wishes to your good lady wife for a speedy recovery, Black_Sheep  :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 07:03:53 AM »

Best wishes for you good lady Black Sheep.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:56:56 AM »

Hello Black Sheep

So sorry to hear about your wife being taken ill.

Good to hear that she's now OK.

Hope that the doctor's appointment goes OK too.

As far as the 999 service goes, I don't think that we appreciate that's it there until we actually have to use it. I for one am happy that it's there for when we need it.

Regards

happy37

chrissie

• Kitizen
  • little sweetie
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 08:44:40 AM »

Glad to hear your wife is okay after you both had such a worrying experience.  You're right about our three 9's service, what a good job we have it and have some first class people who work with it.  It makes me so mad to know that they are abused at times when attending calls when all they are doing is their job.  It's awful too when idiots make hoax calls to the service when they could be stopping them going to life threatening incidents...it seems that nothing is safe from those who think such acts are "fun"!
Don\\'t go to sleep ANGRY!!!  Stay awake and plot your revenge......

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »

I commented in another thread a while ago, about a sign in an Atlanta park, saying 'if you see any rules being broken' (dog fouling, cycling on footpaths etc), dial 911!

Can't make up my mind whether I'm impressed that the Citizens are actually encouraged to reports crimes and expect a response, or whether to despair that the person reporting a medical emergency or robbery in progress may have to share a line with dog-fouling reports.  I think our 999 service probably strikes a better balance.

Glad to hear Mrs BS seems well though.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »

>>  As with most things, one doesn't really appreciate something until it's needed or it's taken away.

This is so true.

Anyhow the main thing is that the Medics arrived promptly and they did a good job during a worrying time.   Hope Mrs BS is feeling much better and soon on the mend.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »

Seriously guys, thank you very much for your comments, I appreciate it.  :blush: :)

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 07:07:02 PM »

I join others who have commented in their praise of 999 and thoughts for Bs's Erin Dors.

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 08:42:39 PM »

Glad your missus is on the mend Blacksheep. I'm getting a new found appreciation of the Ambulance service and NHs from the other side of the pond.

anything