Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Problems With Public Wifi Connection.  (Read 9545 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Problems With Public Wifi Connection.
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:22:57 PM »

Anyone have problems connecting a Linux laptop to a public wifi.?

Trying to get my daughters laptop ready for uni next month I wanted to try to see if it would connect to a public wifi, I went down to our local pub and used there connection (wpa with key) with there permission.
Having first removed all the network adapter's in pcc > network manager, I set up a new connection in pcc, entered the key, it connected and gave me an ip address but said it was not connected to the internet !, I have tried this several times, tried a reboot, still no internet.

I could ping the router ok but could not ping anything else past that.

The landlady said her laptop is ok on the internet at the back of the bar .

I did try http://192.168.1.1 in a browser for access to there router but it was password protected.

Edit..  I have had this sort of thing at home and have to go to the routers settings page and click 'connect' but I can not do that on a public wifi. !.

I can connect at home ok to our 'wifi access point'.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:34:45 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

tickmike

• Kitizen
Re: Problems With Public Wifi Connection.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 09:06:01 PM »

Do you think this is a DNS problem ?.

I have two days to get it sorted before we go on a day visit to her uni .

I have put this in the wrong topic ?, mods move it please if so.
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:33:39 PM »

I suppose it could be a DNS problem. You could check this by pinging an IP address directly (try the BBC, 212.58.241.131). If that works, but 'ping bbc.co.uk' doesn't work, then it is a DNS problem. Does the laptop get the DNS addresses automatically? If so, try entering manual DNS addresses instead.

Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 09:58:02 PM »

@TM,

I have just performed an nmap scan of that particular port of your IP address. Here is an obfuscated result --

Code: [Select]
[bcat@Duo2 HG612_stats]$ nmap -T4 -sV -Pn -p xxxx aaaa.bbbb.cccc.dddd

Starting Nmap 5.51 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-08-05 21:52 BST
Nmap scan report for aaaa.bbbb.cccc.dddd
Host is up.
PORT     STATE    SERVICE VERSION
xxxx/tcp filtered unknown

Service detection performed. Please report any incorrect results at http://nmap.org/submit/ .
Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 1.88 seconds

Isn't that exactly what you require?  :-\

I'm now re-running the scan for all 65536 ports on your IP address. It will take a little while . . .  ::)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 10:00:36 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 10:31:26 PM »

I have just performed an nmap scan of that particular port of your IP address. Here is an obfuscated result --

I,m Sorry but what has scanning my IP address got to do with the IP address at the PUB where I was trying to get my daughters laptop to connect on to the internet ?

I suppose it could be a DNS problem. You could check this by pinging an IP address directly (try the BBC, 212.58.241.131). If that works, but 'ping bbc.co.uk' doesn't work, then it is a DNS problem. Does the laptop get the DNS addresses automatically? If so, try entering manual DNS addresses instead.

I did try a ping on 8.8.8.8 but nil response.

RE. " If so, try entering manual DNS addresses instead"  What if I put my ISP DNS server address's on the wlan set up page ? would that work ?.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »

I'm a bit baffled, I'm afraid. I wonder if the pub's router is set up with MAC address security, or some other blocking mechanism.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:53:52 PM »

I'm a bit baffled, I'm afraid. I wonder if the pub's router is set up with MAC address security, or some other blocking mechanism.

It would not give me an IP address would it ?.

I did these yesterday.
$ iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:"Staff_Public"
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Access Point: 00:22:3F:33:1B:96   
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=17 dBm   
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:on
          Link Quality=49/70  Signal level=-61 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:34   Missed beacon:0

$ ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1F:16:A9:AA:4B
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
          Interrupt:16

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:475 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:475 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:40358 (39.4 KiB)  TX bytes:40358 (39.4 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:24:2C:A2:73:7B
          inet addr:192.168.1.16  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          inet6 addr: fe80::224:2cff:fea2:737b/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:132 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:850 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:31190 (30.4 KiB)  TX bytes:135743 (132.5 KiB)

$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.1.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 wlan0
link-local      *               255.255.0.0     U     1003   0        0 wlan0
loopback        *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0 lo
default         192.168.1.1     0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 wlan0

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »

I,m Sorry but what has scanning my IP address got to do with the IP address at the PUB where I was trying to get my daughters laptop to connect on to the internet ?

Clearly I have misunderstood what is your ultimate objective. I certainly didn't think it was to resolve possible configuration problems with your local public house's modem/router, I thought it was to be confident that your backup server is visible and, thus, accessible to those who know where to look.  :blush:

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »

Clearly I have misunderstood what is your ultimate objective. I certainly didn't think it was to resolve possible configuration problems with your local public house's modem/router, I thought it was to be confident that your backup server is visible and, thus, accessible to those who know where to look.  :blush:

The idea was to try a backup from there and to do a nmap to my server but I have this massive problem I could not get on the internet.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 12:52:48 AM »

The idea was to try a backup from there and to do a nmap to my server but I have this massive problem I could not get on the internet.

Ah, I see. Well as for an nmap scan, I can report that all 65536 ports on IP address aaaa.bbbb.cccc.dddd are filtered.

Time for b*cat the start thinking about a warm and sleepy place!  :P

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 02:51:31 PM »

@b, cat Thanks for doing the scan again  :).

I went to the same pub today to try putting open DNS or my ISP's DNS servers in the WLan config settings also tried MTU of 1450 then 1400 also ran from a live cd, Nothing I tried would get me on the internet >:D, the landlady did not want to re-boot the router because of the tills.
Next going to the next town to the library and try there.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »

I went to a public library and to a friends house to test wifi on the laptop both connected with no problems  :)  but still would not connect at the pub >:D so it's a problem with there router set up.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:53 PM »

Let's look on the bright-side . . . whilst in the pub testing the WiFi connection, it was a good excuse to "sample the wares".  :drink:

;)

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 10:26:57 AM »

Let's look on the bright-side . . . whilst in the pub testing the WiFi connection, it was a good excuse to "sample the wares".  :drink:

;)

Not so because I was driving later  :'(  so one time I had a coffee @ £3.50  omg  >:D
next time had a '55' soft drink @ £1.95  >:D
next time a lemonade @ £1,95  >:D  you can get 4lts for that in tesco  >:D.
I can see how they can afford a new house being built near the pub .

Ratae

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 09:47:22 AM »

G'day folks. I haven't been here for a while, mainly 'cos I already know everything about everything that there is to know, so I don't need to ask anything! ;D

However.....I was passing by, and this particular post caught my eye. Well, I have a little Acer notebook that I dual boot with Ubuntu 10.04 and XP, and as I occasionally visit local hostelries for a little light refreshment, it is my custom to often have my notebook in my rucksack. Well....it works fine on the wi-fi in both my local Wetherspoon's pub, and my usual watering hole, using both of the operating systems. But I'm damned if I can get it to work using either O/S in the pub up the road.

Admittedly, I've only tried it once in there, I suppose it's possible that the barman gave me an incorrect password, I'll give it another try later this week and see what happens.

If I can't dazzle them with my intelligence, I'll baffle them with my bulls**t!
Pages: [1] 2