Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Opera vs Firefox  (Read 3692 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Opera vs Firefox
« on: August 03, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »

I have just done two speed test.
The first one is with Firefox
The second one is with Opera.

Both using the same server and within a couple of minutes of each other.
Either Opera is not installed properly or flash works better with Firefox.

Edit: I put them the right way round.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:50:11 PM by silversurfer44 »
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Opera vs Firefox
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 09:45:05 PM »

Just a thought, are your browsers running the same (and latest) version of Flash?

There are several varieties to download from http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ depending on your browser, and installing one won't update the other.

For example, I'm pretty good at keeping things up to date, but having tried 3 browsers, they all have different versions.  Go here http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html in each browser to see what version you're running, and what the latest is.

I've just discovered my versions, all on the same WinXp machine, are :

Chrome 11.3.31.222 (but this is installed automatically by the Chrome browser as it's "built in")
IE        11.3.300.257
Opera   11.3.300.262

and I'm informed the latest is 11.3.300.268

Ian

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 09:56:22 PM »

Good idea there Sheddyian, the thing is I run on Linux.
Opera is bang up to date, and since the last two updates flash has not behaved properly.
That shouldn't make the difference I wouldn't have thought.
I also have a dislike going to Adobe sites as the always want me to download this that and the other.
I run the same flash plugin in both browsers because they share the same plugin.
Nice thought though.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 11:13:31 PM »

I was just trying some test to see if there was much speed difference on speedtest.net between browsers, but found tht the results (for me) vary significantly between tests on the same browser and PC.  Eg 5 minutes ago I got

I then retested and got

Both in Chrome!

There's no other activity on my connection, nor anything else running, so who knows whats going on there!

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 12:29:18 AM »

@ ian there could be a small amount of congestion going on which could account for your variable speeds.   This isnt too unlikely at about 10pm when  users may say be streaming media such as iplayer.

@ SS.   I think I mentioned only in another thread a couple of days ago that I didnt get on much with Opera.  One of the reasons was a few years ago I used to use Opera a lot, and I also used to enjoy playing online games which used Flash.  However, Opera just could not seem to cope with Flash games which after a very short while would seem to leech all the memory and the game would grind to a complete standstill. 
No matter what I did, I just wasnt able to use Opera to play Flash based games without running into problems...  and its the prime reason why I switched to chrome which seems to cope with Flash much faster even than FF.

Granted this was a while ago and I dont play any games these days to give an up to date test to see if it still leeches memory after  a while.  However Ive just run a quick speedtest comparing Opera v Firefox and theres not much in it. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 09:18:31 AM »

Well I've just done a real test.
Yesterday around the same time of day I downloaded a 3.5gig iso file I wanted for installing a new OS on another computer. I thought it was fairly quick as it only took around 50mins. With Opera.

I've just downloaded the same file with Firefox and it was done in approx 8mins. :o

Now that is some difference. I think I will have to uninstall Opera completely. Including any cache file it may have been using.

This may answer another totally unconnected problem that I have been suffering. I have been writing a program in c++ to gather real time data from a weather station. Every once in a while, totally randomly I would start getting useless garbage for my readings. Now that points to memory corruption, reading un-initialized regions of memory. I will have to wait and see if Opera could be the cause, globbing all the ram.