Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Go Faster Stripe success stories  (Read 2446 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Go Faster Stripe success stories
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:39:47 PM »

I was idly wondering what others had done to their own, or friends/family's installations, that resolved problems and increased speeds.  I find it interesting to see what benefit there is from a particular 'fix', though of course the remedy is very dependent on the original problem.

Perhaps , though, there isn't an original 'problem', other than desiring a little more throughput, which has been obtained by cat5 cables for telephony, filtered faceplates or crystals, magnets and runes hung from the nearby pole.

For example, from my original setup that led me here in search of a solution, (I had ADSL noise on the voice phone) I got a quite reasonable 15424 down, but after installing a filtered faceplate on the master socket (which entirely cut the ADSL noise I could hear on voice calls) , I eventually achieved around 21000 down and a drop in attenuation from 23 to 21db.

Ian

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Go Faster Stripe success stories
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »

LOL @ Runes ...  :lol:

Personally, I think if the installation isn't star-wired, and all is filtered correctly ...... the biggest simple fix an EU can do is to disconnect the bell wire. I've personally seen massive gains made, over very short distances, by doing this.

c6em

• Reg Member
Re: Go Faster Stripe success stories
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »

curiously I've found
Router in hall attached to test socket behind NTE5: around 13100
Same router moved to rear study, on end of 33 meters of Cat5 normally connected from NTE5 plus the other voice phone points in the circuit: around 13800.

This is change is repeatable every time - using the master NTE5 socket always gives a lower sync every time by a significant amount.
The reason?
The hallway is more exposed to medium wave radio interference as can be seen from the QLN plots at each location.
It is also in direct line of sight 15 miles away to a radio transmitter.
The study at the back of house behind a few old and very solid brick wall is more shielded.
router must be picking this RFI up.