Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: ADSL sync but no Internet light (authentication) even with test login  (Read 4694 times)

glowplug1

• Just arrived

ADSL syncs at good speed for area. No line noise or problems. BT test logins all fail to connect.

Had this issue for several days. Replaced router and tried additional router I know works at home but issue remains. Supplier slow to react and when they did it was logged as a line fault. I suspect issue at exchange but wonder if someone can explain what could cause this and resolution (for my own info if nothing else).

Thank you

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: ADSL sync but no Internet light (authentication) even with test login
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 10:51:00 AM »

Are you saying that there's no internet access at all, or just that the BT test logins fail to connect?
  Eric

glowplug1

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:14 AM »

Are you saying that there's no internet access at all, or just that the BT test logins fail to connect?

It fails to establish any kind of connection, either full with our user login details, or the usually restricted with the BT test logins.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

It doesn't sound like a line fault, because you have a good ADSL sync. I rather agree with you that the issue is probably in the exchange, but diagnosing that is outside my capabilities. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.
  Eric

glowplug1

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »

It doesn't sound like a line fault, because you have a good ADSL sync. I rather agree with you that the issue is probably in the exchange, but diagnosing that is outside my capabilities. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along soon.

Thanks anyway for your replies.  :)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 04:14:24 PM »

Could be a few things really. A faulty router, faulty DSL Exchange Equipment, the port locked up (A remote reset would cure that), your 'jumper wires' in the Exchange connected to the wrong DSL port ?? I would ring your ISP support in the first instance and see if they can do a port/card reset or a 'rebuild' of the circuit.   

glowplug1

• Just arrived
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 10:28:19 PM »

Could be a few things really. A faulty router, faulty DSL Exchange Equipment, the port locked up (A remote reset would cure that), your 'jumper wires' in the Exchange connected to the wrong DSL port ?? I would ring your ISP support in the first instance and see if they can do a port/card reset or a 'rebuild' of the circuit.

Thanks for the reply. We tried 3 routers in total, of which one was a brand new Billion.

In the end, we didnt find out specifically what the cause was, but it was something in the exchange and I suspect you are right when you mentioned port/card reset.

They advised it was fixed and it is now up and running.

Thanks for your help.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 10:31:38 PM »

Happy days. Thanks for the feedback.  :)

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »

What they would of tried first is what BT call a "flex VC" which basically resets the port. If that didn't work then they would be checked the mapping cause at times with these issues the circuit needs re-mapped cause the records between BT Wholesale and BT openreach may not exactly match. It requires all those details to be correct in order for you to log into your service providers radius server so if any of them are wrong then the radius server will reject your login details and not authenticate you. The other problem as BS mentioned could of been incorrect jumpering however in those cases that would usually have an impact on the DSL signal for an example your service provider would test your circuit as having a DSL signal but you would see no signal at your end or vice versa  ;D. Good news however that you got it sorted.

Regards
Gary