Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A TV cookery programme for cats!  (Read 5963 times)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
A TV cookery programme for cats!
« on: August 02, 2012, 03:09:36 AM »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: A TV cookery programme for cats!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:12:13 AM »

That chaffinch would easily beat off a few moggies... ;D
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 06:41:46 PM »

Meow! Curried chaffinch.  :yum:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:37:28 AM »

That chaffinch would easily beat off a few moggies... ;D

Seriously is that a chaffinch?    Only reason I ask is because I was in the garden the other week and about 4 or 5 of them appeared in a bush that Id had the shears to about an hour earlier.   I didnt know what they were and by the time I'd got my camera theyd gone.   Id never seen any around here before but when I tried to look them up on the RSPB I couldnt find anything that matched.   ie the yellow underside, but reddish face. 

The nearest I could see was the goldfinch and although that has also reddish face it doesnt have the bright yellow underbelly like these did. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 07:30:52 AM »

Seriously is that a chaffinch?

It looks like a chaffinch here, but it's not very clear. The colours you see will depend on the calibration of your monitor - I've calibrated mine because I do a lot of photo editing, and to me the bird's breast looks orange, not yellow. The chaffinch picture on the RSPB site is terrible, vastly overcoloured. There's a better picture on Wikipedia.
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 12:49:10 PM »

Thanks eric... from that wiki pic,  it definitely wasnt chaffinches that I saw.   They didnt have the grey hood, nor were they brownish red underneath.

They were finch size, but had yellow under belly and a I thought they had a browny reddy head with a yellow beak  Looking at a goldfinch on wiki rather than the RSPB, Im 100% certain it wasnt one of those, the red is too red and no yellow underneath.

Nor is it either a blue tit, green finch or goldcrest, as Im used to seeing those (or rather unfortunately Chaz used to be very adept at catching the latter 2 and bringing them to me as presents much to my dismay) :(

Because they werent like anything Id seen round here before, I rushed upstairs to get my camera, but they flew away before I could get any pics :/   

>> The colours you see will depend on the calibration of your monitor

Just to check it is the smaller bird on top, not the larger one underneath (see attach) that Im seeing as yellow?

I thought I calibrated this monitor with Adobe Gamma when I first got it, but that was a few years ago..  and also Im now using a totally different machine with a different graphics card..  so I suppose its something I need to check later.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 01:27:32 PM »

Hmmm wonder if it was one of the varieties of redpoll  that I saw.

From googling around it would seem that some of the jueveniles and in particular females have been known to show more yellow.

This is about the nearest so far from what I can recall, only more yellow on the underside.
Guess I'll never know now - too slow with the camera :/

-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »

Just to check it is the smaller bird on top, not the larger one underneath

Yes, that's the one. To be honest, I don't think the picture is clear enough to be sure. I'm pretty certain it's a finch, but it may not even be a British one. My first thought was a chaffinch, but perhaps it's a brambling.

As to the birds you saw, if they were Redpolls then I'm very envious. :)
  Eric

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »

It probably isn't a British bird.  Someone from China posted it on Facebook!
The photo is probably fake or staged - cats added digitally, or there's something/someone behind the TV attracting their attention.

cheers, a

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 04:19:43 PM »

>> As to the birds you saw, if they were Redpolls then I'm very envious.

I guess I'll never know, however according to the gumph although they are in decline they do still breed in the north and scotland where they are resident.  Unfortunately Ive not seen them again :(

The pictures above most certainly are the most like them than anything else I can find.  The red on the head, the size, the yellow beak, the pattern on the back all fit..  the only thing that doesnt quite sit right is the ones I saw distinctly had yellow underneath.   When I first tried searching on rspb they didnt come up in the possibles because I'd put yellow as one of the feather colourings... but there do indeed seem to be instances elsewhere on the internet where the redpolls have been seen with yellow particularly females and young ones.

Whatever they were, they were chirpy chatty little birds which is why I first noticed them in the first place when they swooped down into the shrub I'd cut back earlier in the day and appeared to be having a grand time picking at whatever it was they found in there to pick at.

>> Yes, that's the one. To be honest, I don't think the picture is clear enough to be sure.

No it is difficult to say :/ ...  anyhow I need to find my old CD to check colour calibration, as Adobe seems to have stopped doing it now and I cant find a link from a reputable source.

>>>  The photo is probably fake or staged - cats added digitally, or there's something/someone behind the TV attracting their attention.

Yep youre probably right  :D :lol:
-----

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 05:47:25 PM »

I thought there was something fishy about that picture!!!
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.