Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: trying out a new picture editing programe  (Read 6754 times)

paul-49

trying out a new picture editing programe
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:42:34 PM »

Not sure if this is the right forum, if not can you move it(thank you)

Over the last week I have been trying out Adobe photoshop 7, not tried it all out but been adjust a few pictures, I made the background black and white and part of the picture in colour,only done a few so just testing at the moment,what do you think,

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
Re: trying out a new picture editing programe
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:00:39 PM »

Very nice bit of colour-popping, a very attractive technique.

There are so many methods to do this in Photoshop, I would be interested in which you used.

A wee bit more careful round the dges of the pop is all that is needed, and perhaps a bit of contrast boost on the b+w background.

Here is my attempt on one of your pics.

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 11:09:40 PM »

Been a loong time since I really played in Photoshop.  Im ashamed to admit it was 5.5 when I really got into it, but since then I moved on to other PC stuff  and never really found the time to get to grips with the later versions.

Funny enough I was playing with graphics today for about the first time in ages
<----- new av
Everything on there is "kitz drawn" including the back ground and the globe.  Used an old version of PSP though since Im more familiar with it.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 11:26:15 AM »

Great avatar, Kitz, and shows a very proficient use of Photoshop.

When I got my copy of Photoshop 7, I knew from it's price and source that it would not entirely meet with Adobe's approval. However, it all worked well and I had a great deal of fun with it. That is, after I found the plug-in......
The b****y thing was in RUSSIAN............. That was a pain until I found the translator plug-in, and after that it was much simpler to use.

Have CS2 now, (can't afford CS3 ) and spend most of my PC time on that.........nothing I like more than taking an old, damaged b+w pic and bringing it back to life. I did some recently for an elderly widow woman in the village, they were of her long departed husband. The look on the lady's face when she saw the restored pics was amazing, and made the effort well worth it.

Am currently labouring on a pic that goes back to about 1890, of a three masted sailing barque which was then commanded by my paternal grandfather. Have that as a psd and it has over forty layers and takes up most of my poor wee hard drive !!

Pwiggler

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 01:48:35 PM »

tufty

any chance of posting up the before, halfway thru, and finished images that you've done of the ship .... sounds really interesting?

Paul

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:36:43 PM »

Hi, pwiggler.

Well, here is the before. Barque "Alumbagh". This is a photo circa 1890 of a pen drawing circa 1880 something. The drawing was, reputedly, by my Grandad but I have nothing to support that theory.

As you can it is a mess. That bad staining ( I don't know what did it ) goes right through to the back of the mounting board, and that has to be sorted out first.

So, my layers so far consist of all the recognisable elements, some forty odd each on it's own layer and each having been selected and cut out using the pen tool. ............frame, border, writing,sails, rigging, masts, deck fittings, waves  etc which will all be cleaned seperately and then put back in.

The other pic is after having done some cloning etc to get rid of the stain, (stage forty four odd after the pen tool work) but the thing is still a mess. More cloning and cleaning to be done

I will then slowly clean the different elements and put them back in place, having to "borrow" sails and things from other parts of the ship to replace those lost in the cloning, especially on the foremast and upper main mast, and doing a bit of resizing to get them looking realistic.

Then, next stage is to get rid of that awful colour cast and give it a nice old fashioned sepia tiny, a bitty sharpening up, some work with levels and curves to balance up the exposure.

I don't mind about how long it will take, just do a bit at a time. Will post the finished thing if it ever gets completed.

paul-49

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 06:02:45 PM »

Very nice bit of colour-popping, a very attractive technique.
There are so many methods to do this in Photoshop, I would be interested in which you used.

Open new file and pick your picture, the click on layer(on the top row)then click dupilcate layer
once new picture is open click on layer again,click on new adjustment layer
click on hue/saturation(then click ok)
lower the  saturation down to -100, the picture will turn black and white
 then click on the picture and colour in the bits you want in colour, once done then save it,

simple as that,

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 04:25:19 PM »

Next stage................start on the ship now.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 12:37:45 AM »

Looking loads better now! Nice restoration job :)
Chris

scottiesmum

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 12:30:47 PM »

TD  ... After looking at your photo and  reading of your family connection with the Alumbagh I was interested enough to have a Google !!   I'm sure you've already done a lot of delving yourself, but it led me to a particularly interesting link,   http://www.merchantnetworks.com.au/periods/1800after/1800dunbar.htm
amongst all the other interesting details of the Dunbar's was this reference to "your" barque ....

The last of his ships to be called after a battle was the Ship ALUMBAGH, still on the stocks in the builder's yard, when he died. She was named after a fort, near Lucknow, recaptured in the Indian Mutiny, five years before.

Which then encouraged me to look up other information regarding the Indian Mutiny and subsequent other links ... 

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 02:05:53 PM »

I did a bit of googling as well, some time ago, and came across a lady living in Australia whose Grandma had been born in the "Alumbagh" whilst on passage UK/New Zealand, and she had managed to get an extract of the ship's log showing that event. On that voyage, unfortunately, she ( the ship not the lady  ::) was under command of a different skipper and so the log was signed not by Grandad (which would have been nice to see) but by his relief.

The "Alumbagh" was built for the UK/India route, but was eventually chartered by the New Zealand Shipping Co. and used to take emigrants from UK to the down-under "new world". She was eventually re-converted to cargo carrying, and met a ghastly fate, in that she foundered and sank, in the Atlantic whilst laden with timber and en-route from Canada to Liverpool

ooops, should have said, thank you for the "dunbar" link, had not seen that one before. Interesting reading.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 02:08:18 PM by tuftedduck »