Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What I hate about Apple!  (Read 7256 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
What I hate about Apple!
« on: July 31, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »

Dont get me wrong, I love my i-pad, it works well, some things are so simple and it looks good.... but the more I use it, the more I'm beginning to hate some of Apples ways and their tie ins.

For example.. 
 I cant use Flash....  yes I know that Steve jobs and Adobe had a fall out, but surely if I understand the risks I should be allowed to install an application that I want to use, because it stops me from being able to view a lot of websites I commonly use such as the BBC and other informative sites.  I dont seem to have any problems or horror stories with Flash on my Android phone.

Propreitory Parts
Why cant I insert an SD card to increase memory and why should I have to purchase a whole new model.
Why do Apple parts cost so much more than elsewhere?  Want to upgrade RAM for your imac - thats £160 for 8GB.  Yet 8GB of PC RAM  - choose a good make such as Corsair can be obtained for just £35.   Even laptop PC3-8000 can be obtained for not much more, so why the  extortionate price hike.

Theres many more examples of this ie plug adapter not confirming with the new usb type specifications that other mobile devices in future have to comply with.  Bluetooth will only work with other apple devices and theres nothing you can do to get them to talk with non apple products.

Proprietary software

The thing that has just REALLY got my goat and caused this rant:-  Theres a 'feature' in Safari that makes it difficult to post url links into forum posts, and stops you from inserting 2 links or even do anything else inbetween or you will loose the entire post.     Since Apple have known about it for over a year and done stuff all about it, I decided simple answer to use google chrome as my  default browser.      However, Ive just found out that I cant.   WTH!!!   would microsoft be able to get away with this, - would they heckers like.  They got slated because Windows came shipped with a copy of IE.   At least you could change your default, yet they still got hauled over the coals.  So just how the heck do Apple get away with it?

Anyhow thats my rant of the day over with.

----
edited to insert link
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:57:43 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: What I hate about Apple!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 04:54:18 PM »

As you are aware Kitz, PC's, Lappy's et al are not my forte, so bearing that in mind ............. I too couldn't play various stuff on my i-Mac and after 'Googling' it became apparent it was down to the absence of 'Adobe Flash'. It would, however, allow me to download it with no trouble whatsoever ?? Are the 'Pad' and the 'Mac' different in other ways than the obvious ??

If memory serves, whilst surfing for answers, I also read that using Google Chrome, or in particular Firefox, would also help run things more smoothly ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:03:15 PM »

Thanks for responding BS,  but unfortunately there is no way the ipad, ipod, or iphones, apple tv will allow you to do any of this and they are locked down tight - far tighter than the imacs and apple wont  let you do anything.

The only way around this is to jailbreak them,  which I didnt really want to do as it invalidates your warranty.   :'( 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_jailbreaking

In all fairness I was aware of the Apple/Flash issue before I bought the ipad, and I thought I could live with it, not realising just how many of the sites I did use made use of it.
This afternoons episode with the problem of Safari and trying to post links, then finding out that Apple class it as a 'feature' of safari and therefore no fix after over a year....  thinking I could get around it by using google chrome, then finding out that Apple wont let me change my default browser..  just made me go ROOOOOOAAR.

Not sure what to do now...  because Im not a happy bunny about something so simple

Has anyone on here jailbroken their ipad..   If so, Id like an honest opinion on what the effects of doing so are such as being able to use it with the ATV and airplay and mirroring....

and if I do so am I going to be leaving it wide open to all sorts of scary stuff (security) as is made out.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 08:44:17 PM »

Sympathies Kitz.  In my case, it's the lack of java support that most frustrates me. >:(

As for jail breaking, both our iPad as well as the iPod touch are used for App development and testing and, for that testing to be valid, jailbroken devices are not really an option.   Unless of course I start writing Apps that target jailbroken devices, but that's not the plan.

Wearing my developer's hat of course I'm mightily opposed to jail breaking as it is said to facilitate installation of 'cracked' versions of Apps that steal income from some poor developer who has slaved for months, and deserves a few bucks in return.  But I reallise that's not your own motivation... in your shoes, I'd feel the temptation.    :-\

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
What I hate about Apple!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 08:11:40 AM »

By jailbreaking the iPhone/iPad one can install an app that can change the default browser, and it can be Google Chrome!

I have jailbroken my iPhone because I like being able to change things that I don't like, e.g. The default web browser, quick reply from the lock screen, enabling tethering without paying extra (or in my case because it's not supported). The list is virtually endless.

It is so easy to do that I would recommend trying it, it is so easy to go back to stock if you don't like it.

For warranty purposes all one has to do is restore the  device and Apple won't know. It isn't illegal either, don't believe what Apple and others tell you!

I hope that helps.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:43:50 PM »

I hate having too use iTunes with the iPod - it runs loads of services when windows boots and itunes will not run without some of them running, so it slows your system down right out the gate - and the fact you can not use your iPod on any other PC, it has to be used on the first PC it was linked with iTunes on, also if you add manage to add music to the ipod elsewhere it will remove it/them when you re-sync it with your iTunes...

luckily there is a great app called FLOOLA that gets around this and allows you to run floola FROM the iPod on ANY computer and add/remove any music you like... its a little temperamental, but its good..
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

anything