Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Open DNS  (Read 5547 times)

maxping

Open DNS
« on: November 26, 2007, 06:32:34 PM »

What is DNS: Where OpenDNS fits in
OpenDNS is the world's most intelligent DNS service. Our global network and our software work together symbiotically to offer a set of features custom-tailored to you, without requiring you to buy any hardware or install any software.

http://www.opendns.com/how/dns/turning-names-into-numbers/

How to change DNS on your PC - http://www.opendns.com/start/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 07:04:00 PM by maxping »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Open DNS
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:59:33 PM »

Quick info re Open DNS Servers (save looking at the page)

I set one of their DNS addresses into each PC as a backup DNS server in case theres a problem with my ISP one.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

maxping

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 07:06:50 PM »

Do you think  changing to open DNS does make a difference to the speed?
I am now using open DNS and some of the slow websites i regularly visit do seem a bit snappier but it could be my imagination.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 07:22:52 PM »

Not really noticed anything here. - I have in the past tried swapping with my ISP ones but it doesnt appear to have made much difference for me now.
Although I did use them as primary for a short while about a year or so ago when PlusNets were playing up. 

However...  it really does depend on the status of your own ISP DNS servers.  If your ISP ones are busy then they could well be.
Ive seen users of some ISPs saying the OpenDNS ones are quicker than their ISPs. Certainly doesnt harm to have them in as a backup.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

maxping

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »

Ta,i will give it a try for a few days and see if I'm still impressed.  ;)

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 08:26:53 AM »

Be users tend to use OpenDNS as Be's DNS isn't much use. I found various issues with OpenDNS - one of which was routing any of the BBC sites to Telehouse New York (OpenDNS are yanks). This meant you couldn't view most of the videos etc on the BBC.

The main thing to remember is that OpenDNS servers are physically further away from you than your ISPs DNS servers so if there's any problems between your ISP and them then you may end up with worse performance.

I generally recommend installing Treewalk (www.ntcanuck.com) - it does what it says and it does it "out of the box". ie any user configuration is minimal and well-documented. It is a better (IMHO) solution than messing about with OpenDNS.

As an aside, the OpenDNS people don't seem anywhere near as interested in fixing problems as they once were. That might just be my perspective though.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 11:49:09 AM »

Funnily enough I've not noticed any problems with Be's DNS. However I do have a caching Win2003 DNS server between me and t'Internet, so that might be clouding the issue a bit.
Chris

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 01:10:48 PM »

What DNS have they assigned to you?

I doubt the Win2k3 box is clouding the issue as I have one between me and the router as well :)

Treewalk is a better solution for the average user (IMHO) than OpenDNS as it really is "install and forget".

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 02:03:51 PM »

Primary DNS: 87.194.0.51
Secondary DNS: 87.194.0.52

Never played with Treewalk, might have a looky at some point :)
Chris

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 02:56:19 PM »

Different DNS to the ones I had IIRC. My Win2k3 DNS event logs regularly overflowed with "malformed response received" errors from Be's DNS. Logs long since flushed so can't give an example I'm afraid.

Treewalk is BIND9 packaged up in a friendly Windows interface :)

You can stay as simple as you like or get as complicated as you want (ACLs etc). It has "issues" with Vista but don't we all? ;)