Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Routerstats-style program for Linux  (Read 21480 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Routerstats-style program for Linux
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »

[OT hijack of Eric's thread]
If you only have one computer to connect to the broadband service and you do not need to use wireless, then yes, you can connect that system direct to the LAN1 port of the HG612.

Before dosing that, you will need to ensure that you have an adequate firewall present & operating on the computer and you will also need to configure the computer to establish a PPPoE connection.

If that reads as something a bit too difficult, I would advise that you leave the Home Hub between your computer(s) and the HG612. That way the Home Hub will provide the firewall service and the PPPoE authentication on your behalf.

Eric's monitoring program, rs-ux, is only usable by those who persons who "hug a penguin". If you use BillyGatesWare on your 'puter, you will need to use the scripts developed by "Feathers McGraw" (a.k.a. Baldy_Bird or Bald_Eagle1). If the latter is true, then he is the person to aid you getting things set up correctly to monitor your line.  :)
[/OT hijack of Eric's thread]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2012, 10:04:05 PM »

Thank you B*Cat I get the full picture. I won't have anything other than a penguin in my machine.
I've got my thinking head back on now.
Thanks again.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 11:38:22 AM »

Belatedly, I'll add my congratulations, looks like excellent work!   :drink:

My initial reaction was that it wasn't of immediate use to me since my linux boxes are either minimal (diskless myth frontends), or the big server, which is headless.  But actually, I have VNC up and running on the server and accessible from the windows PC, the MAC and even the iPad.  So running it in a VNC session on the server, which is available 24/7, could be very useful indeed and I now feel compelled to give that a try at some point.

All I need is the time.  I still haven't figured out why retirement from full-time work has left me with less time for things like this.   ???

Well done, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 11:40:46 AM by sevenlayermuddle »

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 12:58:00 PM »

Thanks 7LM :)
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »

I started off by configuring the 64-bit version to my own preferences (image rsux-08.png, below) and set it executing just before 2000 hours BST, yesterday.

Leaving it alone in a work-space of its own, I continued to use my laptop normally -- other than logging out. When it became time to retire to that warm and sleepy spot, I ensured that the laptop was running from the mains electricity supply and closed the lid.

Reviewing the Connection speed graph (image rsux-09.png, below), the first thing that is apparent is the (boring) plotted straight lines (very good)! Note that I managed to obtain the screen-scrape whilst the utility was displaying the confidence-boosting "Sampling" message in the top right-hand corner. Looking at the bottom of that image, we see --

Attn. Down: 50.5dB  Attn. Up: 28.5dB    Downstream power: 0.0dBm    Interleave Depth: 32

My personal preference is to have a space between the numerical value and its corresponding unit. For example, "Attn. Up: 28.5 dB". Is there a convention that covers such detail, please?  :-\

Moving on to the SNR margin graph (image rsux-10.png, below), yuck:tongue:  (Not at Eric's excellent work but my line's behaviour, last night.) Again, as above, I would prefer a space between the numerical value and its corresponding unit.

[OT]
With regards to my line, it is a TalkTalk fully LLU'd service. The MSAN has an Infineon chipset and is configured with the DLM disabled, interleaving on and a target SNRM of 6 dB.

As the Huawei HG612 uses a Broadcom chipset (BCM6368), I have tweaked the DS target SNRM to 4 dB by means of the technique documented in the Kitz wiki.

By consideration of my yucky SNR margin graph, there is clearly some (new) form of RFI being generated at certain times of the day. It's time to blow the surface dust off my Icom IC-R5 and start "sniffing" the radio spectrum at 306 kHz and 612 kHz.

As for the HG612's ability to "hang on" in the presence of noise, I have to say that it is very good. I have been happily using my broadband connection when the SNRM has dropped at low as -1.9 dB! And that was not momentary, it was for about 20 minutes. Finally when the SNRM hit -2.0 dB the HG612 finally "let go" and re-negotiated sync with the MSAN.
[/OT]
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »

My personal preference is to have a space between the numerical value and its corresponding unit. For example, "Attn. Up: 28.5 dB". Is there a convention that covers such detail, please?  :-\

I agree with you. Originally I was trying to save as much space as possible in order to fit as much in as I could, but it's probably unnecessary. The same status bar is displayed on both the SNR and Speed tabs, so the same comment applies to both.

Like you, I'm connected to an Infineon MSAN and the HG612 is exceptionally stable (although the SNR margin has never dipped much below zero).

Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 12:10:21 AM »

Even though I cant use it, I must say this is looking very good.  Well done eric :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2012, 12:35:20 AM »

You used to be a Linux chick, no?!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2012, 01:14:48 AM »

Loooooooong time ago,  RedHat.  Back in the days when I had spare PCs to play on.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 01:38:13 AM »

RedHat?!  Eugh! That's for beardies! You seem much more of a Debian girl!

cheers, a

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2012, 02:38:52 AM »

I did say it was a loooooong time ago...  ;D back in the days of RH9 when you could get it on Free cds with PC mags etc. -  I didnt have DSL.

It had some sort of gui and better support for hardware than debian did in those days,  iirc back then favoured choices seemed to be Mandrake or RH9? 
Going all CLI would have been too much for me to take in at once... and even with RH I still ran into a couple of problems with driver support.  I may be wrong but Debian seemed to become more popular after it was announced that RH9 was going over to Fedora for future releases?  :-\
-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2012, 03:12:26 AM »

I did say it was a loooooong time ago...  ;D back in the days of RH9 when you could get it on Free cds with PC mags etc. -  I didnt have DSL.

I remember that time (only just!) :-(  People would get their distro on CDs from the LinuxEmporium.    Debian came on 8 or 10 CDs, and at £2 a CD that was a no-no except for the ultra wealthy!

It had some sort of gui and better support for hardware than debian did in those days,  iirc back then favoured choices seemed to be Mandrake or RH9? 

Going all CLI would have been too much for me to take in at once... and even with RH I still ran into a couple of problems with driver support.  I may be wrong but Debian seemed to become more popular after it was announced that RH9 was going over to Fedora for future releases?  :-\

I don't know what the Linux politics are about. Best to ignore them (especially that RedHat lot) They squabble over whose turn it is to squabble! In practice all Linux distros are much of a muchness now. The Debian packaging (also used by Ubuntu) does seem a bit easier to handle. i.e. idiot-proof is perfect for me!

Do you want a hand obliterating Windows to make space for Debian?!  Betcha that GbE interface works in Linux!

cheers, a

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2012, 08:20:29 PM »

lol

There's no need to 'retire' Windows if you've got 10GB to spare. Either Debian or Ubuntu will live quite happily in that with a swapfile instead of a partition.

My setup is three primary partitions, 20GB WXP Pro (O/S & programs), 425GB NTFS Data (Games and everything else), 20GB Ubuntu 12.04 (AMD64) with a 2GB swapfile in the root directory - about 7~8GB in total.

There are other ways of doing it of course. In this case the Linux install went in some time after everything else.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2012, 06:47:40 PM »

Version 0.3 now available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions:

- added bitloading graph (with drag scrolling) - see below
- right-clicking on a tone displays the details of that tone
- added separate 'DSL type' entries for VDSL2 profile 8a and VDSL2 profile 17a
- some small cosmetic improvements

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxbUtOYVZ_SCZ1BnY3RKYnN2b1U/edit

[A reminder: these are Linux programs only]
  Eric

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 07:04:21 PM »

Version 0.3 now available in 32-bit and 64-bit versions:

- added bitloading graph (with drag scrolling) - see below
- right-clicking on a tone displays the details of that tone
- added separate 'DSL type' entries for VDSL2 profile 8a and VDSL2 profile 17a
- some small cosmetic improvements

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0BxbUtOYVZ_SCZ1BnY3RKYnN2b1U/edit

[A reminder: these are Linux programs only]

This is looking very nice indeed :-)    I will enjoy playing with it after tea (sausage roll  :( )

cheers, a
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

anything