Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line interference  (Read 2075 times)

biohead

• Reg Member
Line interference
« on: July 29, 2012, 06:35:11 PM »

I'm on an FTTC connection (although I don't think it's particularly important in this case).

After quickly looking at how my line has performed today, I saw this huge spike in ping times just before 6pm.

I'm assuming that the spike is caused by when I went out to mow the lawn quickly whilst the rain held off - the times match up. Now when I was on ADSL, I remember the snrm would plummet to less than 1 whilst the electric mower was used, and although the sync would hold - I couldn't transfer any data at all. Am I right in presuming this is the same thing (I wasn't able to check the line stats whilst mowing).

What actually causes this though?

And is it related to a brief comment the Openreach installer made whilst doing the install: Whilst trying to get the physical line stats, he tried to get an earth from a nearby radiator. Whilst it was earthed, it wasn't a very good one. He then tried with an earth directly from a socket - which gave a similar outcome. He just mentioned it must be a bad earth area in general.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Line interference
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »

I'm assuming that the spike is caused by when I went out to mow the lawn quickly whilst the rain held off - the times match up. Now when I was on ADSL, I remember the snrm would plummet to less than 1 whilst the electric mower was used, and although the sync would hold - I couldn't transfer any data at all. Am I right in presuming this is the same thing (I wasn't able to check the line stats whilst mowing).

If it is the same electric lawn mower then, yes, I believe you are correct. Perhaps you could set yourself up to use Bald_Eagle1's graphing scripts before the lawn requires another trim?

What actually causes this though?

Arcing from the electric motor's carbon brushes, where they make contact with the commutator, would be a source of localised RFI. Earthing would not come into it because, if I remember correctly, such devices as electric lawn mowers, strimmers, etc, are all doubly insulated and do not use an earth connection.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.