Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TeraCopy vs FastCopy vs Windows Copy  (Read 24882 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
TeraCopy vs FastCopy vs Windows Copy
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:19:29 AM »

after doing some research to find out if TeraCopy was faster than Windows 7 I found out there are other file copiers that are fast, I decided to pit the two considered the best/fastest together with windows... these tests were done with no Anti-Virus running or other background processes.

here are my findings ("in" refers to external-to-internal drive and "out" refers to the opposite)

one 827Mb file:
FastCopy = 32 seconds in - 36 seconds out
TeraCopy = 36 seconds in - 36 seconds out
Windows = 40 seconds in - 39 seconds out

one 1.92Gb file:
FastCopy = 76 seconds in - 85 seconds out
TeraCopy = 83 seconds in - 86 seconds out
Windows = 91 seconds in - 90 seconds out

2.16Gb of Music Tracks:
FastCopy = 86 seconds in - 98 seconds out
TeraCopy = 98 seconds in - 102 seconds out
Windows = 100 seconds in - 142 seconds out

772 documents totaling 347Mb:
FastCopy = 16 seconds in - 20 seconds out
TeraCopy = 19 seconds in - 22 seconds out
Windows = 23 seconds in - 33 seconds out

As you can see FastCopy is the quickest, but not by much as Teracopy is very close behind and almost as quick when copying out to ext. drive, windows is a bit slower, especially when copying out to ext. drive.

FastCopy may be the quickest but TeraCopy integrates into windows better and has a nicer interface with progress bars, it also has the option to Pause during copying, FastCopy can be integrated into windows too but... when 'pasting' you have to right-click and choose Paste (fastcopy) from the menu and then when its copy window appears you have to click the "execute" button ...this alone can add 3-5 seconds onto the copying time, whereas TeraCopy you can simply use CTRL+C and CTRL+V with no interaction from you at all, it replaces windows copier.

FastCopy has some advanced buffer settings that allows you to adjust buffer sizes which may improve (or worsen) copy times, I think if you copy a LOT of files a LOT of the time then FastCopy is for you - but if most of your copying (like me) is out to an external drive then TeraCopy would be better.

you can have both TeraCopy and FastCopy installed and use either/or - both have to be integrated into windows via their options, once you have done so; to use TeraCopy simply use Copy/Paste or CTRL+C/CTRL+V - to use FastCopy use Copy/CTRL+C and to paste Right-Click and choose PASTE (FASTCOPY) then press enter which clicks the 'execute' button that appears, or click on it with mouse.

TeraCopy -> http://codesector.com/teracopy/

FastCopy -> http://ipmsg.org/tools/fastcopy.html.en
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: TeraCopy vs FastCopy vs Windows Copy
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:24:05 PM »

>> As you can see FastCopy is the quickest, but not by much as Teracopy is very close behind and almost as quick when copying out to ext. drive, windows is a bit slower, especially when copying out to ext. drive.

Thank you for this info, although I havent tried them out yet, Teracopy seems to have a nice interface.
Fastcopy reminds me in some aspects of Robocopy - which is what I currently use for batch transfers to the NAS. However, its all command line based it can take some getting used to at first, but I use it because its way faster than Windows and you can set up a script so it will run automatically at certain times.

Out of interest have you ever used Robocopy and if so how does it compare with say Fastcopy?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 03:38:34 PM »

I have never used RoboCopy - the wiki says there is a GUI add on for it?

I have noticed though that FASTCOPY is slower than TERACOPY when copying files from a DVD to the internal drive
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »

>> there is a GUI add on for it  (robocopy)

There is...  but tbh last time I tried it (admittedly about 4 yrs ago), I didnt think it was actually much of a user friendly GUI, and went back to using the bog standard plain version of robocopy.

Thanks for all the above info though, may switch to Teracopy and give it a whirl.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker