Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Happy's FTTC Switchover  (Read 6466 times)

happy37

• Reg Member
Happy's FTTC Switchover
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:38:45 PM »

Good luck Happy,hopefully you should be well on the way to getting switched over... :fingers:

Still Aug 3rd for me (hopefully)  :)

And Monday for you Colin  :)

Hello everyone.........

All done - now switched over.    ;D

Early days yet, but what do you all think?

Regards

happy37

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: Happy's FTTC Switchover
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »

Compared to 3.5Mb/s down it is flying.
The upload speed looks a tad slow though. As you say early days yet.
Glad you had a smooth install.
How close to the predictions are the up and down figures?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 02:13:41 PM »

Looking good Happy  :thumbs:

What actual speeds are you/have they estimated you can get...?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »

Early days yet, but what do you all think?

A definite improvement. It will be interesting to see the result in 24 hours time.

You might like to use the BT Wholesale Performance Tester and paste the results here (except for your telephone number).

I expect that Bald_Eagle1 will be along shortly to ask if the installing engineer was able to tell you your D-side pair length . . .  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 06:50:35 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

Am popping back with an update as I know that a lot of you were waiting to hear how it all went yesterday.

Glad you had a smooth install.

@ss44:-

That's what I thought, but it's turned out to be a nightmare as I discovered that the engineer has now left us without a phone line in the house as NONE of my phone extension sockets work.

Just before he fitted the new "OpenReach" branded master socket, he asked me to check the extensions in 2 different rooms with a corded phone to see if they worked.

Indeed they did.

Lo and behold, he goes and wires up the master socket, and I found out later on in the evening that the phone line was not working.  ???  :o  >:(  :no:

So, now a cordless phone is now plugged into the Test socket underneath the Master socket.

At least the phone works for now, but I have to keep it charged as it does run out towards the end of the day if it's not kept in the charger/holder.

What are my options now?

1. I called PlusNet who have now raised a complaint against the engineer's work as they said that he should've checked his work before he left. Is this indeed the case?
I did ask them yesterday to see if they could send him back out again to fix it, or at least another engineer, but was told that this is BT Openreach, and they cannot be contacted through the usual channels?  :-\
Their "Faults" team is dealing with this as a priority, and I can either wait for a phone call on my mobile first thing this morning, or I can call them myself.
Any thoughts?

2. I phoned BT, and yes, you guessed it - they wanted to charge me for an engineer to come out and fix this fault, even though I did not cause this myself.

3. Last, but not least, I have asked a mate of mine who works for BT to come over tonight to come over and sort out this problem.

Enough said - is my third choice a wise (or the best) course of action after all that's happened, or should I wait and twiddle my thumbs for PlusNet to contact me, or vice versa?

The Internet is working fine, but as I keep on having to unplug the Master socket to use the phone all day, Internet access will be at best sporadic until this phone fault is fixed.  :(

Having read all this, can anyone suggest the best course of action for me to take.

What actual speeds are you/have they estimated you can get...?

@UncleUB - "Up to" 40mb down, and 2mb up which is fixed as I signed up for the 40mb down/2mb up PlusNet fibre offering.

Once I get this all sorted, I have been told that I can sign up for the free 80/20 trial that PlusNet are also doing at the moment.

Not a bad idea!  :) 

I will try and pop back on here to read all your responses. Am going back to bed as have not slept at all last night.......am not a happy bunny.

See you all in a little while.

Many, many thanks once again - any help and advice on how to get this mess sorted ASAP will be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone on here know how to contact BT OpenReach directly? Can it be done?

Regards

happy37
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:53:02 AM by happy37 »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 08:09:47 AM »

Oh dear sorry to hear of your demise not so Happy37. As for the official options there are more knowledgeable people than I that can advise you.

>>So, now a cordless phone is now plugged into the Test socket underneath the Master socket.

That statement tells me that the line itself is OK and the problem is in the NTE connection. My first though would be a poor/broken connection to the IDC connectors. After that I have no idea without seeing the thing.
Hope you are sorted soon.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »

I expect that Bald_Eagle1 will be along shortly to ask if the installing engineer was able to tell you your D-side pair length . . . 

413.05 metres is what he said to me yesterday.

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2012, 09:38:46 AM »

That statement tells me that the line itself is OK and the problem is in the NTE connection. My first though would be a poor/broken connection to the IDC connectors. After that I have no idea without seeing the thing.
Hope you are sorted soon.

ss44:-

Good morning.

My thoughts exactly - my BT mate said this too.

Let's see where we go from here.

Will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for the thought.

Regards

happy37

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:41:28 AM »

I expect that Bald_Eagle1 will be along shortly to ask if the installing engineer was able to tell you your D-side pair length . . . 

413.05 metres is what he said to me yesterday.

So according to this chart from the Thinkbroadband site you should get roughly 40mb download.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 06:14:17 PM »

Oh dear. I can understand happy37's current state of unhappiness.  :'(

Let's look at the positives, first. With that D-side distance, 40 Mbps DS should be possible.  :)

Now the negative. The Openreach branded SSFP that would have been fitted has a top socket for the VDSL2 connection to the modem and the lower socket for a telephone. Questions:

[1] When a telephone is plugged into the lower socket, does it work?
[2] When the faceplate (with the lower socket) is removed, does a telephone work when plugged into the socket so exposed?

From my reading of the above description, it seems as if both the faceplate and the SSFP have been removed so that a telephone can be plugged directly into the NTE5/A test socket. That seems to indicate to me that the answers to [1] and [2], above, are both "No". That, in turn, is indicative of a faulty SSFP.

Please try this. Plug a "dangly" microfilter into the NTE5/A test socket. Plug the lead to the HG612 modem into the microfilter. Plug your telephone into the microfilter. Now you should have both a working broadband connection and a telephone.

If I still lived nearby (as I did 45 years ago), I would be around there to "put things right" for you. Or if you friend is capable of doing so, then let him.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 06:16:19 PM by burakkucat »

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2012, 07:58:59 PM »

All,

Am back now and all is indeed working well.

Will pop back later tonight with the whole tale of how things were fixed by my friend.

In the meantime, here's today's latest speed test.

Regards

happy37

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 11:26:56 PM »

Ah, some good news!  :)

As this is really Uncle's thread concerning obtaining a MAC for migration, perhaps this would be a good point for you to start your own thread in the FTTC and FTTH Issues forum?

I will be interested to read what you friend had discovered and what he had to do to correct the problem. As you have already said that he is a BT Group employee, I can see no reason for not telling PlusNet what was the problem with this new FTTC installation.  ;)

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 08:59:22 AM »

Ah, some good news!  :)

As this is really Uncle's thread concerning obtaining a MAC for migration, perhaps this would be a good point for you to start your own thread in the FTTC and FTTH Issues forum?

Good morning Mr B Cat and everyone,

Indeed it is good news - I have got a huge Cheshire Cat grin on my face this morning.

;D  :D

With all due respect to UncleUB, Mr B Cat is indeed correct.

Apologies for trampling all over your thread UncleUB with all my inane blatherings on............can I please ask one of the mods to copy/move my posts in this thread to the one that I started titled:-

"o2 contract running out next week......." on this same board.

Whilst I have asked for this to be done, can you also please confirm if in doing this, it will mess up the continuity of this thread?

My posts were #41/46/50/53 and 56.

Many thanks.

I will be interested to read what you friend had discovered and what he had to do to correct the problem. As you have already said that he is a BT Group employee, I can see no reason for not telling PlusNet what was the problem with this new FTTC installation.  ;)

When I get a minute or two, I will start a new thread in the other forum as Mr B Cat has suggested.

Regards

happy37 

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 09:56:42 AM »

Hi Happy  :)

No problem what so ever using this thread,but as Mr B-Cat pointed out perhaps another thread about your new fibre connection will get more comments/help under the FTTC/FFTH section.

Glad you have got it sorted now,long may it continue... :thumbs:

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 10:15:44 PM »

Im on mobile device, which isnt best to start splitting threads on, but will do so tomorrow when I can see what Im doing on a proper screen.  :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker