Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Switch then router or router then switch???  (Read 8732 times)

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
Switch then router or router then switch???
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »

I hope somebody can offer some help.

I have a new router currently connected straight to the master socket. It has 4 ports and wireless and is located in a location that does not serve the rest of my home with a particularly good wireless signal.

I also have an older router that I plan to use as a switch as I need more than the 4 ports supplied on the main router and after researching this yesterday have worked out how to use the second router as a switch adding another 3 of the 4 ports on it.

Ultimately I would like to move the main router to a different location where the wifi signal would be more central to my home. I don't want to use phone extension cabling since my connection speed is poor anyway (small village) and I don't want to drop any speed.

As far as I can see I have the following options or possibilities.

1, Move the master socket

2, Use extension cabling

Is it possible that I could use the old router connected to the master socket, and then connect the newer router to the more central location enabling the wifi???

The way I have just managed to get this working with info from the  internet was in reverse to this. I connected network cable from the new router to the old router in the central location and with the correct settings in the older router this acted as a switch and added 3 of the 4 ports for extra connections.

Another question springs to mind, the BT incoming connection into my loft connects to a small white junction box. It is my understanding that the cable then serving my home from this junction box is my responsibility. Therefore is there any reason I could not run and connect new cable from this junction box to my more desirable central location and hence then have the main router connected at this point?

Any comments?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Switch then router or router then switch???
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 12:31:32 PM »

Presumably we're talking about modem/routers in both cases here. If you want the new one to handle your ADSL connection, then that is the one which must be connected to the telephone line. What I would do in your circumstances is first fit a filtered faceplate on the master socket, so that any phone extensions are prevented from interfering with the ADSL signal. Then wire up a special extension just for the new router to connect to; use good quality twisted pair cable such as Cat5e, connected to the  unfiltered A and B terminals in the new faceplate. Fit this new socket where you want to position the new router.
  Eric

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:02:20 PM »

Thank you for the reply :-)

Presumably we're talking about modem/routers in both cases here.
Sorry, yes you're right both modem/routers.

What I would do in your circumstances is first fit a filtered faceplate on the master socket, so that any phone extensions are prevented from interfering with the ADSL signal.
I already have a filtered faceplate.

Then wire up a special extension just for the new router to connect to; use good quality twisted pair cable such as Cat5e, connected to the  unfiltered A and B terminals in the new faceplate. Fit this new socket where you want to position the new router.
Thanks for this. So using Cat5e cable would provide enough screening to prevent any interference and is better than normal phone extension cable?
I haven't ever wired a cat5e connector so i'll have to look at that and see if any tools etc are needed.
Or could I use a modified network cable, keep one end and then cut off the other end and rewire into the second socket faceplate?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »

I haven't ever wired a cat5e connector so i'll have to look at that and see if any tools etc are needed.
Or could I use a modified network cable, keep one end and then cut off the other end and rewire into the second socket faceplate?

At the master socket end, the faceplate has IDC connectors, so you can use a Krone tool or one of the cheap plastic tools for the purpose that you can get in places like B&Q. At the other end you should fit a telephone extension socket, which might have IDC connectors, or might have screw terminals. You won't need to be using ethernet-type connectors.

Thanks for this. So using Cat5e cable would provide enough screening to prevent any interference and is better than normal phone extension cable?

Normal everyday Cat5e cable isn't screened, but it has tight twists so it rejects inteference very well. It's unlikely that a screened cable would give any better performance in this situation, and could be more trouble than it's worth.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 07:35:06 AM by roseway »
  Eric

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 07:33:28 AM »

Many thanks once again.:thumbs:
Can you offer any pointers with regards to making the plug end of the new extension?

I have done a search but keep coming up with RJ45 plug wiring and not the BT plug.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 08:00:00 AM by TableLeg »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »

Havent read the full thread properly to read exactly what you are trying to do, but the end of my CAT5 cable run which is used purely for adsl terminates with an LJU1

The starting point is behind an NTE5a faceplate.  I then just plug the supplied router lead into the LJU1, which has an adsl filter attached.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 06:35:39 PM »

Yes, sorry TableLeg, I failed to notice that you had posted another message. Kitz is exactly right - you don't need any plugs, just an appropriate length of Cat5e cable. At one end it's connected to the back of the master socket faceplate (A and B terminals) and at the other end it's connected to a telephone extension socket like the LJU1 (terminals 2 and 5). Use one of the twisted pairs in the cable for ther connection and leave the others unconnected.
  Eric

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:59:48 PM »

I'd just like to throw in my 10 cents worth.
Cat5e is somewhat overkill, good old CW1308 is fine for this job (it's also twisted pair).

Advantages:
Thinner as it's available in 4-core (Cat5e is 8-core ) so easier to run.
Usually solid-core so ideal for punch-down IDC terminals
Usually white so more "acceptable" visually (and did I say it was thinner?)
Probably cheaper, but that's a minor point.
AND it's the "correct" product to use for telephone wiring.  ;)

Just DON'T use the cheap flat (untwisted) phone extension cable.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:54:23 PM »

Many thanks to all who replied.

I now understand your information regarding hard wiring the extension to the back of the master faceplate to a second box as opposed to what I thought you meant wiring a plug for the cable and then plugging it into the master faceplate. :-[

The bonus in using network cable is that I have a length spare that is long enough.

Many thanks again to all of you.

:thumbs:

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:54:42 PM »

Good luck with the job. :)
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 10:20:05 PM »

I now understand your information regarding hard wiring the extension to the back of the master faceplate to a second box as opposed to what I thought you meant wiring a plug for the cable and then plugging it into the master faceplate. :-[

Theres some pics and instructions about halfway down this page from when I did mine NTE5a Faceplate - CAT5e variation.

Good luck :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Howlingwolf

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2012, 06:56:13 PM »

Another question springs to mind, the BT incoming connection into my loft connects to a small white junction box. It is my understanding that the cable then serving my home from this junction box is my responsibility. Therefore is there any reason I could not run and connect new cable from this junction box to my more desirable central location and hence then have the main router connected at this point?

Any comments?

I'm probably a bit late with this but as no one else seems to have addressed this specific issue...

Everything up to and including the master socket is the property of BT/Openreach and really shouldn't be tampered with. They can get quite nasty about it sometimes.

The only bit you are allowed to touch is the faceplate.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 02:12:10 PM »

Thanks Howlingwolf for the added response.

Can I please clarify, If I were to wire up an extension to the back of the filtered faceplate using Cat5 cable, I could use one pair for the phone (2 & 5) and one pair (A & B) for the Adsl connection and then use an extension box which has phone and adsl faceplate like the master socket?

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 05:32:52 PM »

You could indeed.

TableLeg

• Content Team
  • Reg Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »

Thanks HPSauce,

However Im still confused about one aspect, the extension box.

Whilst terminals 2 & 5 plus A & B on the back of my NTE2005 filtered faceplate allow me to add extension wiring I am struggling to understand the connections at the extension end.

I thought I would use a faceplate with both a Bt socket and and an Adsl socket so that at the extension end I could plug in a router and also a telephone.

The extension boxes I have seen with both sockets have 6 terminals arranged in 2 pairs of 3. The first has terms. 2, NC & 5, the second has F2, F3 & F5.

I presume 2 & 5 are the phone connections but does anybody have an idea about the 'F' connections?

Info I found is here:
http://www.solwise.co.uk/downloads/files/ffp85d-manual.pdf

Is it better or even necessary to have a separate connection from the master for the phone and Adsl to an extension or do I only need to extend the phone wire to the new box which then splits the signal again to the 2x output sockets due to the dual Bt/Adsl filtered faceplate?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 09:58:46 PM by TableLeg »
Pages: [1] 2

anything