Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Check a site please - equifax  (Read 11701 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Check a site please - equifax
« on: July 19, 2012, 03:25:06 PM »

Anyone else having problems with http://www.equifax.co.uk/index.html

I can access the main site but as soon as I try to go to any of the https areas such as clicking the member area button, or get my report button,  then nothing happens.

eg

https://www.econsumer.equifax.co.uk/consumer/uk/showmyequifax.ehtml

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Check a site please - equifax
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »

Grr..  really fed up I had a day today when I was hoping to look at my own network and finish off the PC, but instead Ive been chasing around Lloyds TSB (whom I dont even bank with) about a debt that has nothing to do with me and in someone elses name who I have never heard of before in my life. 

Ive had to go down to my local TSB with my driving licence and prove who I am and that Im not Bodmin Tibor.   I wish Lloyds TSB would leave me the stuff alone instead of keep sending me solicitors letters and Debt Collectors to my house.  This has been going on for a year and they keep saying sorry we will leave you alone, this morning took the biscuit and Ive done nothing so far today other than try sort out a mess that is due to Lloyds TSB's incompetence.

Just reported them to the Financial Services Ombudsman for harassment who are going to take the case up on my behalf, but Im fed up of having to pay for phone calls, and Credit Searches to prove that Im me and not someone else hence needing to get into Equifax.
If Lloyds TSB had done a proper credit check (to comply with the money laundering regulations) when they opened the account they would see that no-one of that name ever lived here and alarm bells should have started ringing... and maybe he wouldnt have been able to run up >£60k of debt which they think they can harass me about.

At this rate it will be a friggin miracle if I find time to sort my own PC :(

-------------------------
Edit  getting a 404 now rather than it just being sat there doing nothing..  I guess Equifax is broken. :(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:49:04 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 04:02:29 PM »

You have my sympathy. Getting accused of responsibility for someone else's debt is no fun at all. :(

I tried the equifax links you gave, and there did seem to be a bit of a problem, but the members' login page now comes up properly.
  Eric

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 04:44:54 PM »

Sorry to hear of this Kitz,you have my sympathy. :(

Tbh TSB are a God awful bank,I left them many years ago due to their attitude when things were their fault and nor mine.  >:(

Re Equifax...their home page loads straight away for me,but nothing happens when clicking the Members Centre Login icon.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 04:47:28 PM by UncleUB »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:07:44 PM »

I am also getting a 404 with Firefox and nothing with Opera.
Sorry to hear of your troubles Kitz. I Hope you get a favorable result soon.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 05:57:43 PM »

Clicking on the secure link now brings up....

Site Unavailable
We're sorry...
The Equifax.com website and Equifax Personal Solutions are undergoing planned improvements and maintenance.

Based on feedback from our customers, we are completing system upgrades to better serve you. We apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back with us soon.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »

Good on you for going after Lloyds for harassment. I feel absolutely ashamed now to say I worked in a bank from 1958 for 31 years.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »

Thanks for trying guys also getting the planned improvements and maintenance page now.  When it was just sitting there earlier doing nothing I was unsure if it was just me, cause since getting the technicolor router some pages are slow to load.

This lloyds tsb thing has taken up the whole day today, I spent about an hour on the phone this morning to them being passed from pillar to post and in the end had to go into a local branch, where I was seen by their FA and later the branch manager.  They had to make several long phone calls where it emerged that lloyds tsb has let this guy open another account with them who has started running up another debt of £653 so far, not to mention the £60k from last year.   I couldnt believe it.
TSB's attitude on the phone was unbelievable saying am I sure that I didnt know this guy and that he wasnt here..  hence me having to take my Driving Licence down to the local branch and get a certified copy to prove who I was.  A proper credit check by them should easily prove that he has nothing to do with the address.

What makes it worse is they were supposed to leave me alone last year when the police got involved, but if they had been bothered to correspond with the police properly they could have had access to CCTV footage of this guy in an o2 store where he walked out with about £5,000 worth of  iphones and galaxy tabs etc (he'd been flashing his Lloyds tsb bank details to them and obtained a pile of credit) but guess where the bills for them all came :(   This guy has committed the same offence at jewellers/phone shops etc through out the county.   iirc one weekend he got about £600 of petrol moving from station to station and touring different o2 centre throughout the country to get stuff that will probably end up on ebay) and must be on CCTV at several locations last year.   But Llloyds TSB couldnt be bothered to correspond with the police, so they dropped the case.  Last I heard was the police saying well we cant take this further if TSB cant be bothered to press the charges.    So they stopped correspondence with the police, but instead started hounding me.  For a while I just send everything back "Not known at this address" and Lloyds TSB kept assuring me on several occasions they wouldnt bother me again.   But it all started again last month when the bank letters and solicitors correspondence turned into Debt Collectors bothering me.

Today was the final straw.  After I got back home this afternoon I decided to report them to the Financial Ombudsman who say I do have a strong case and they are launching an investigation.  They also recommend that I report them to the ICO for failing to carry out proper data checks..  and not keeping their records up to date and true.  Hence me needing to do yet another Credit Bureau search myself, as I have a list of instructions that I must do before the ICO will take action against them.

Theyve had a year so far to get off my back, Ive followed all the correct procedures but they havent, so reporting them to the higher authorities is my obvious next step.   

-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 06:51:21 PM »

I feel absolutely ashamed now to say I worked in a bank from 1958 for 31 years.
Ive done 20yrs of service in a bank working my way up through the ranks the hard way.  It was how I knew that they must not have complied with the money laundering regulations and performed the required CBS check properly when they opened the account.   If they had, then what they saw on the report for this address should have started alarm bells ringing.   Ive probably done 1,000's of CBS checks over the years, so damn well know what they can see and what they should be looking for.    The banks dont get the cut down versions that most other financial institutions get..  They can see everything including non-associated people at the address and anything on the person regardless of address and whom it was lent to, right down to the £2 per week you pay to a catalogue.
-----

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 07:11:08 PM »

Yet it always mistifies me why I get failed for the electronic ID check eash time I open a savings account and have to send in certified copies of my ID by post - itself a security risk.
This is having lived here for decades, and having numerous bank & credit card accounts all of which are correctly reported to the credit agencies.  Even my name/address format matches the one I use.  I am ex-directory so any phone lookup they use will fail - but so are many others.
So I merely send off the same credit card statements as can be seen by the savings group on my credit record along with an original Inland Revenue statement which has a significant typographical error in the address - just for fun you understand.  Yes, of course its all accepted and my account opened........

I did once make a formal complaint about all of this and the savings group blamed the credit reference agency and the credit reference agency blamed the savings group.

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:27:40 PM »

I feel absolutely ashamed now to say I worked in a bank from 1958 for 31 years.
Ive done 20yrs of service in a bank working my way up through the ranks the hard way.  It was how I knew that they must not have complied with the money laundering regulations and performed the required CBS check properly when they opened the account.   If they had, then what they saw on the report for this address should have started alarm bells ringing.   Ive probably done 1,000's of CBS checks over the years, so damn well know what they can see and what they should be looking for.    The banks dont get the cut down versions that most other financial institutions get..  They can see everything including non-associated people at the address and anything on the person regardless of address and whom it was lent to, right down to the £2 per week you pay to a catalogue.

My sympathies  :(

Inside Job?  Organised Crime in the banking system? An agent within the bank over-riding the security mechanisms? He ticks the boxes stating falsely that ID has been verified when it has not, etc?  If so, all too familiar.    NatWest Liverpool, in my case.

Most of those skimming stories don't seem plausible, either.  The banks often allege that a device attached to an ATM or card terminal has harvested customer security details, used later in fraudulent transactions.  It seems much more likely that no device is ever involved.  The security details are stolen by organised criminals with access to the internals of the banking system itself. Specifically, the electronic payment systems.

But since it undermines confidence in the banks to admit that the Enemy is Within,  it's easier to blame rogue elements outwith. 

It's difficult to find anything nice to say about banks. They are run by criminals and always have been.  Two days ago, HSBC was nailed by the US Senate for laundering billions (trillions?) from the Dope Trade.  Plus ca change.  That's the very reason the HongShang was founded 150 years ago: to launder the dirty money from the BEIC's Opium Trade in China!

Old habits die hard!

Hope you get it sorted ASAP.   A generous ex gratia compensatory payment from Lloyds TSB plc to Ms L. Kiti-Tzar is called for, in recognition of the distress caused!

cheers, a
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:40:04 PM by asbokid »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 08:37:45 PM »

>> Inside Job?

TBH that thought had crossed my mind...  if not then certainly gross negligence by one of the employees for not having properly done what they should with the CBS checks. I dont see how they could have got around the id checks, other than fake or inside job.
I (or rather the police) think there may also be some bigger crime ring to it, because they certainly have targeted addresses, rather than individuals.   I only found out when a neighbour mentioned to me that she was worried sick because of all the stress it was causing her, then I told her I was going through the same thing.  Then later we found out about her other neighbour too.   Even more reason that TSB should be suspicious - 3 homes in a row, 100's of miles away from the branch were the accounts were opened, all opened in the same week with slight variations on the similar foreign name.  None of the names on being listed at any of the addresses.  :no:

>>> It's difficult to find anything nice to say about banks.

TBH I used to love my job, but it all changed in the late 90's early 00's with the take-overs and mergers.  Priorities changed and the rules and targets were different. Long gone are the days when you could approve (or decline) a loan/mortgage/business lend because it felt right (or wrong).  Now the computer says yes or no.   I still laugh at the memory of the rough looking (but known horse breeder - clear CBS) guy coming in to the bank wanting to borrow £20k to buy a new horse and needing the cash within 1/2 hr.   I was in charge of the branch at the time..  without a doubt the computer would say no now... as there was no time to make it a secured loan, but I took a risk saying dont let me down.   The overdraft was totally paid in full with a week. I used to base a heck of a lot of my lending decisions on instinct and I could name several big business lends that were successful using the CBS + instinct method.  I cant recall any that went wrong.

The bank even used to go along with this method - they used to include a course on interpreting body language that you had to attend and pass before you could even do your first business lend.   Wouldnt happen now.
-----

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 10:00:29 PM »

What makes it worse is they were supposed to leave me alone last year when the police got involved, but if they had been bothered to correspond with the police properly they could have had access to CCTV footage of this guy...This guy has committed the same offence at jewellers/phone shops etc through out the county.   iirc one weekend he got about £600 of petrol moving from station to station and touring different o2 centre throughout the country to get stuff that will probably end up on ebay) and must be on CCTV at several locations last year.   

But Lloyds TSB couldnt be bothered to correspond with the police, so they dropped the case.  Last I heard was the police saying well we cant take this further if TSB cant be bothered to press the charges.    So they stopped correspondence with the police, but instead started hounding me.

Sounds more and more like an Inside Job.  Maybe Lloyds can't involve the police because to do so would reveal that their security mechanisms are riddled with holes?  i.e. the bank has been negligent, if not complicit, in allowing mafiosi gangsters to open accounts in the names of non-existent people.

Those grunts going into the stores with fake ID are low-grade crooks in the operation.  They take all the risk, for relatively little gain.

In similar circumstances, I got the third degree from a NatWest fraud investigator who was very aggressive and persistent. Eventually it dawned on me that the fraud must have involved bank insiders. So I turned the cards on the investigator, and accused the bank of complicity and he immediately backed off.
It does sound like you deserve a good dollop of compensation from Lloyds!

cheers, a
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:23:47 PM by asbokid »

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 10:16:18 PM »

TBH I used to love my job, but it all changed in the late 90's early 00's with the take-overs and mergers.  Priorities changed and the rules and targets were different. Long gone are the days when you could approve (or decline) a loan/mortgage/business lend because it felt right (or wrong).  Now the computer says yes or no.   I still laugh at the memory of the rough looking (but known horse breeder - clear CBS) guy coming in to the bank wanting to borrow £20k to buy a new horse and needing the cash within 1/2 hr.   I was in charge of the branch at the time..  without a doubt the computer would say no now... as there was no time to make it a secured loan, but I took a risk saying dont let me down.   The overdraft was totally paid in full with a week. I used to base a heck of a lot of my lending decisions on instinct and I could name several big business lends that were successful using the CBS + instinct method.  I cant recall any that went wrong.

The bank even used to go along with this method - they used to include a course on interpreting body language that you had to attend and pass before you could even do your first business lend.   Wouldnt happen now.

Hehe!  Excuse my ignorance but what does CBS stand for, other than Colombia Broadcasting System ?!

cheers, a

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2012, 10:41:29 PM »

Sorry..  it never even dawned on me that Id used it and other people wouldnt know what it meant  :-[

CBS = Credit Bureau Search - ie a full credit check with Experion/Equifax. 
Practically every single branch of all the major banks had their own direct terminal machine which showed all the information held by the above companies... its how they can see more info than the basic stuff other financial institutions would get when they do a credit report.
-----
Pages: [1] 2

anything