Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Views on virtues and vices of the various browsers  (Read 3847 times)

renluop

• Kitizen
Views on virtues and vices of the various browsers
« on: August 02, 2012, 05:42:19 PM »

How many web browsers are out there; IE, FF, Chrome, Opera, more?

What do friends think are the virtues and vices of each, do the sites' claims stack up, and what sector so you reckon they are aimed at?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Views on virtues and vices of the various browsers
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »

Personal choice really,try them all and see which you like,Chrome is my favourite(at present)

Yes there are quite a few more

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 09:21:21 PM »

As above, I think a lot of it is down to personal preference.

My main PC is running Windows XP, and I run Chrome browser mostly.  It renders pages quickly, and rarely crashes.  Though I do occasionally find sites that don't work as expected - eg a .tw hardware support site wouldn't start an ftp download of a driver, so I reverted to Internet Explorer 8 (the latest that will run on XP) and it downloaded fine.  Likewise I was trying to place an order earlier and Chrome kept claiming my basket was empty, yet it worked fine with Internet Explorer.  But IE is much much slower on XP compared to Chrome.

I tried Opera browser, which I use on my Nokia phone.  The phone version is great, but I really didn't get on with the PC version.

I've briefly tried Firefox too, found no specific problems but was already used to using Chrome so I'll stay with that for now.

All that said, I notice that IE on Windows 7 and especially on the beta Windows 8 is a lot quicker than earlier versions, even on the same hardware.

I use twitter a fair bit, and out of Opera, IE and Chrome, it is only the latter that doesn't seem to slow down after long periods of use on there.

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »

I quite like Chrome, it certainly seems to run quite smooth.   However I tend to use Firefox mostly for sites that I visit most often (such as here).
I have several different browsers installed, mostly because if Im doing anything on the site, I like to make sure it works on the most common ones. 

I think the only one I dont really like/get on with is Opera.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 08:07:36 AM »

I use FF pretty much to the exclusion of anything else. I started using standards compliant browsers some years ago and have always gone that way. I absolutely hate non-standard stuff on the web and if a site wont work on a standard compliant browser I wont use it. I have tried others and the only one I use at all is Chrome, I just cant get on with Opera, like kitz I have IE installed (in Virtualbox XP) for testing my own website but I only test with IE as that sadly does still have the highest hit rate on my site. To be honest IE is usually the only browser I have problems with when testing my site usually with the older versions which thankfully are not used as much these days.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:26:35 PM »

I only use two browsers these days, Opera and Firefox. Seeing as I am a penguin hugger Internet Explorer is of no use.
I have just opened another thread about the the difference I have found between Opera & Firefox, before I read this thread otherwise I would have put the post in here.
I used to prefer Opera as it has a better UI for me. It just looks cleaner. It used to be faster as well, but not anymore.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 12:33:18 AM »

Funny enough SS I just responded to that thread, before Id even seen this post.   Ive put some comments in there about Opera and Flash.   

Going back umm about 5yrs ? Opera probably was the browser I used most as it had some nice extras, but these days I dont use it at all apart from testing purposes, as regrettably I find it slower than any of the other browsers and its inability to cope with Flash apps was basically the reason why I stopped using it completely. :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything