Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Rural BT Infinity issue - help interpreting stats  (Read 30665 times)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
Re: Rural BT Infinity issue - help interpreting stats
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2012, 01:28:09 AM »

As you can see the SNMR increases abruptly over 5 mins, just as the DS TxPwr drops along with the ATTDR. Would anyone care to hazard a guess why this would happen? Other than it being a long line of course...
Downstream Transmitter Power is determined and controlled by the DSLAM.   Why is it doing that?   To mitigate DSL crosstalk onto other pairs, perhaps?  If the DSLAM transceiver's output power is being cut back - i.e., that's not a reporting error - I can't think of any other reason.

Ahh, apparently, according to my mother, an engineer some engineers ago reduced the power on the line to make it more stable. The analogy he used was that of a leaky hosepipe. If you turn on the water pressure too high a lot of water will escape through the gaps. If you turn the pressure down you lose less along the way.

God knows. Not something I understand.  Perhaps one of our resident (off-duty) Openreach engineers could explain?

This would be general "line gain" ? In terms of transmission line theory,  when the TX power is increased, the SNR increases (further elevating the signal above the background noise), and the reliability of the communication is therefore enhanced (reduced bit error rate, or similar measure).  But there's a compromise when too great a TX power causes crosstalk onto other twisted pairs in the same cable bundles from you to the cabinet/exchange.   DSL services on those pairs will interpret that crosstalk as noise and it will impair the transmissions on those lines.  That's why CPE (and DSLAM linecards) have Power Spectral Density (PSD) masks. They are laid down by Ofcom.  The PSD masks limit the TX power according to frequency, in the hope of limiting that crosstalk, for the benefit of all subscribers.

That said, the DSLAM appears to be cutting back its TX power some time after initialisation. Yet, the PSD mask should be in place at the initialisation.  I really don't know. Sorry.

Is crosstalk a strong function of length? Or would, say, a really old bit of line that might have some damage along the way have higher crosstalk to a newer bit of line?

There are two types of DSL crosstalk, near-end (NEXT) and far-end (FEXT).   FEXT must be a function of loop length. The further away is the far-end, the more noise the signal will acquire en route.  NEXT must presumably have some correlation to length, too.  A signal from a long loop arrives at the DSLAM very degraded, so NEXT would only aggravate that.

The line statistics data obtainable from a CPE modem, e.g. the HG612, is limited insofar as it is only frequency domain-based. The metrics Hlog, SNR, Bit Loading, QLN, obtained from the modem are all measured per subcarrier or DSL tone or bin, spaced every 4312.5 Hz.  Those statistics are not going to capture Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise (REIN) - an electric fence discharging every two seconds, perhaps.  Nor are they likely to show a physical fault in the copper pair. Perhaps a high resistance joint or a bridged tap on the line.  Only something like a TDR will identify those problems.    The HG612 captures data (HLin) which could, in theory,  be transformed into the time domain, for those purposes.  Les-70 (from this very forum) investigated this to some length, but a breakthrough remains elusive   ???

cheers, a
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 02:07:08 AM by asbokid »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2012, 08:04:02 AM »

Quick response as am off to work.

We 'technicians ( ;)), can not have the power trimmed back, or up for that matter. It depends on what ones interpretation of 'power' is though ?? The engineer may have been talking in 'Laymans terms' in order that your mother may understand better. Its far easier to say I've adjusted the power, than tring to explain SNR to somebody who doesn't know, or even care what it is.
The onlt time that I've known actual true power be reduced on a circuit, is when they've had ADSL(Re) switched off due to the increased cross-talk affecting other circuits in the cable.

It's highly unlikely NEXT is affecting your circuit, but FEXT is more than probable. Dependant on the engineers knowledge, he could carry out a wideband noise test at perhaps the Cabinet to look for FEXT, and the circuits integrity ?? He wont be able to test for this at the Exchange, as the meter will likely pick up NEXT due to the large ammounts of power leaving the MDF at that particular point, thus giving a false reading. :)

tristan

« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2012, 07:05:20 PM »

An update:

After another couple of engineer/technician visits we seem to have exasperated them enough to get action. Of note:

1) No-one who has visited recognises any of the stats/graphs/advice I've collected from here. From that I mean the acronyms (FEXT, NEXT), the values, what they might show etc. I'm guessing BTNI haven't got as clued-up tech guys? I fear they are still working in the 'voice realm'. I'll include this in my letter to OFCOM.

2) My mother and sister
a) walked along the 2.5k route the cable takes taking photos of the various dodgy-looking bits of cable/junctions (cover pealing away etc)
b) read up on proximity to electrical cables (crossing 33kV lines requires phone cables to be buried?)

3) Showing the pictures to the technician and actually taking the guy to the places of concern convinced him to get the cherry picker out.

Resulting in:

4) OR have agreed to replace a stretch of cabling. Only 120m, but a start. No word on when this will happen.

Now, what chance has a non-techie, less belligerent rural-dweller got of getting an issue like this resolved?? Again, something that will be asked of BT/OR in my letter.

Anyway, on to the numbers. I've been taking stats at ~3 min intervals since the last engineer visit (graph attached showing SNMR, TxPwr, ATTNDR, Actual speed, and, for a laugh, temperature from a local weather station - I can also show wind speed, humidity, rain fall, lightning etc). There are a few interesting things of note.

1) Between 3am and 5am the line collapses for 5-15 mins (the 'vertical' lines)
2) There are seemingly predictable variations through the day (a decrease in SNMR D from 1800 to the 'collapse'
3) A 'collapse' occurs close to the coldest temperature :-)
4) The interleaving values (not shown for clarity) are high, but are steady between each 'collapse'

Now, BT also pointed out this 'collapse' some time ago as something unusual.

Any thoughts on this?

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2012, 09:24:09 PM »

Great work, Tristan.

It looks like you've uncovered a clear (and close) correlation between SNR and temperature. The rises and falls of SNR closely relate to outside temperature. The transmission behaviour of the cable itself can't be responding so dramatically to temperature changes.   So that points towards poor splicing at one or more joints along your loop.

And since, in terms of the speed at which those SNR changes occur, that probably eliminates water ingress as the fault.  Ingressed water in the cable would take many hours or even days of warm temperature to dry out, with much more damped improvements in SNR than you have recorded.

A series of TDR taken at strategic points in time could locate the site of the errant joint(s).    Is Openreach able to expend the manpower these days to do that?  Maybe not.

British Telecom workforce by year

Year     Workforce
1984     400,000 (state-owned GPO)
1990     239,000
1995,    137,500
2008     120,000
2009     105,000 + 42,000 contractors/agency workers
2010     90,000
2012     27,000 + 75,000 agency / "flexi" workers
2015     43    (upper estimate)

cheers, a

http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/bt-group-plc-history/
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/may/14/bt-cuts-15000-jobs-annual-loss
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8049276.stm
http://www.employersforcarers.org/business-case/case-study-bt
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 09:29:14 PM by asbokid »

tristan

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2012, 02:29:59 PM »

Great work, Tristan.

It looks like you've uncovered a clear (and close) correlation between SNR and temperature. The rises and falls of SNR closely relate to outside temperature. The transmission behaviour of the cable itself can't be responding so dramatically to temperature changes.   So that points towards poor splicing at one or more joints along your loop.

And since, in terms of the speed at which those SNR changes occur, that probably eliminates water ingress as the fault.  Ingressed water in the cable would take many hours or even days of warm temperature to dry out, with much more damped improvements in SNR than you have recorded.

A series of TDR taken at strategic points in time could locate the site of the errant joint(s).    Is Openreach able to expend the manpower these days to do that?  Maybe not.

Cheers! Not sure we're quite there yet, but a small victory was had this morning: 3 BT vans turned up and replaced a good couple of hundred m of line (longer than they had planned). In their words the line was 'in tatters' - it looked like farm machinery had got tangled up at some point. So much for OR's proclamations that the line was perfect! The pairs were exposed to the elements apparently.

Our BB is back on but the speed seems set at the pre-replacement level. Guess we need to get a reset done?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]