Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Slow PC on the network.  (Read 13835 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Slow PC on the network.
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 08:18:33 AM »

I reallise you'd probably not attempt to fix the switch yourself Kitz, but you could always take the lid off and look for bulgeing capacitors, which is perhaps the most likely cause of failure.

Absence of bulgeing caps proves nothing, but presence would increase the confidence level that the switch is the problem.

But I'm finding it hard to think of a bulletproof test that would prove with certainty that a new switch would fix everything in the world.   :(

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »

That does seem a lot of errors!

I mis-read your earlier post, in that you'd disabled Jumbo Frames (I thought you had them enabled), but I notice you have disabled flow control (or flow control is disabled by default).  What happens if you enable this?  Wonder if packets are being dropped because something can't handle the rate?  Try switching flow control on, and see what happens.

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 11:24:29 AM »

Drivers for the Ethernet adaptor : Did Windows find these for you and install, or did you download from the Atheros site?

This seems to be the download page.  http://www.atheros.com/corporate/content.php?nav1=146

Under "AR813X AR815X Family Drivers" choose "WIN_AR813X_AR815X_Windows WHQL Driver V2.1.0.5"

I'm still thinking here that there's something up with the install of the network card, but, as has been suggested it could also be the switch.  I assume you've not got another gigabit device to try?

Here's what I'd do next :

Download that driver, save it onto the errant machine, ready to install.

Shut down, remove the network card from the computer, boot it up as normal again.

Find Command Prompt in start menu, right click on it and "run as administrator"
type the following :

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

Device manager now starts.

Click "view" and tick "show hidden devices"

You can now see all devices that have ever been in the computer.  Devices that are no longer there appear in a light grey.

Under network adaptors, find the ethernet controller, highlight it and click the "x uninstall" button at the top.  If an option appears asking if you want to remove the driver as well, then do so.

Shut down, replace the network card, and reboot.  When the card is detected, point it to your newly downloaded driver.

I always prefer a fresh install of a driver to an upgrade  :D

Ian

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »

That does seem a lot of errors!

I mis-read your earlier post, in that you'd disabled Jumbo Frames (I thought you had them enabled), but I notice you have disabled flow control (or flow control is disabled by default).  What happens if you enable this?  Wonder if packets are being dropped because something can't handle the rate?  Try switching flow control on, and see what happens.

Ian

Flow control relates to software control (cpu on motherboard) and should be disabled if the checksum offload is enabled (which it should be on anything made in the last 10 years).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 11:34:25 PM »

Thanks for the extra info guys.

At rizla...   Actually my switch is a net gear one too.    Thinking also how my st 585 failed because I couldn't pass any traffic on the wan, but that wouldn't connect anyhow via a direct  cable either.

Unfortunately I can't do any more testing till next week, so will have another look then.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55:41 PM »

Thanks for the extra info guys.

At rizla...   Actually my switch is a net gear one too.

As was mine, model GS 608 iirc.  Symptoms same ( lots of errors, dial-up throughput).  If the similarities continue to component level then a consolation is that, if you know anybody who's handy with a soldering iron, repair is feasible and cheap.   ;)

I probably have some suitable low ESR high temp caps wasting away in my components cupboard in fact. You'd be very welcome...  :)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 04:05:18 PM »

Finally had some time today to mess with my own PC and look into this.   Thanks guys for all the suggestions

1) Updated Atheros Drivers - Clean install to the Atheros Drivers as linked via Sheddyian.  Couldnt physically remove the NIC as its onboard, but removed the device and drivers from within windows, reboot, search for new device, installed 2.0.15.16
Set to auto Negotiation:- Speed = <1Mbps
Set to 100Mbps Full Duplex:- Speed = 18Mbps

Directly connected to router:- speed = 18Mbps regardless of speed setting.
Unfortunately without some rejigging of network cable routing I cant connect to the NAS without using the netgear switch to test network speed and dont see the point atm since the router is only 10/100 anyhow.

2) Bought and installed new Intel Pro 1000T Desktop adapter.  It works fine.    ::)

No idea wth is up with the onboard Atheros adapter to cause the slow downs :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]

anything