Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spoofing MAC on non-sky routers for sky broadband  (Read 9737 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
Spoofing MAC on non-sky routers for sky broadband
« on: December 13, 2012, 08:02:39 PM »

I want to ask if anyone else who is on sky broadband and uses a 3rd party router:- do you get kicked off the network (lose IP address but remain connected to exchange) within 7-30 days if you haven't spoofed the MAC address to make it the same as you sky router....

because I do.

I dont need to do it too get connected, its like there are random checks, quickest its happened was about a week after previous one and longest I waited was about 1 month after previous one..

its done this with

Netgear DG834GT
Speedtouch 585v6
Huawei HG612

I actually used the Netgear with a spoofed MAC beecause someone told me I needed to otherwise I may get kicked off network, one day i thought I would try it without and about 7 days later I got kicked off - I went back to the sky router (2504N) after that - then some time later i tried the speedtouch 585v6 and I had issues with that - then I was back on Netgear (spoofed) and sky router (SR101) - now Iam on the Huawei HG612 , there is no easy way to spoof MAC in this and I have regularly been kicked off the network, still connected to the exchange, just no IP Address, there is no pattern to dates or times when it happens , but seems to happen within 7-30 days.

I have found out a way to spoof MAC in the HG612 and am gunna try it and see what happens.

like I say it connects fine, to me it seems to be periodic checks.

I wondered if anyone else uses non-sky routers on sky's Broadband Unlimited
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Spoofing MAC on non-sky routers for sky broadband
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:29:19 AM »

Not being a Sky user, I have nothing to add. However it is interesting to read of your experiments and observations.  :hmm:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »

the reason I bring it up is because before I joined sky I was told I would need to spoof MAC, it may have been a long time before I joined sky, it was talked about on some forum(s) - hence why i done it from the outset - after constantly being kicked off with the HG612 I brought it up on skyuser but some users on there say they dont have too do this and that never have (yet a search on that forum brings up some previous talks about it and users on there doing it) - if it IS because of the MAC address then it doesnt happen on all devices or on all sky MSAN's / DSLAM's

wierd, I wished I knew the answer cos its buggin the heck out of me...hehe

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 12:50:36 PM »

You get your PPP session terminated every few weeks on Sky.

One of the (supposed) benefits of MER was making it easier to auth with the least overloaded (national) network segment. In theory this should allocate you a suitable tunnel to that segment. I'm not going to comment on the reality, suffice it to say it doesn't do what it says on the tin ;)

Anyway if you force CHAP you will be authenticating with the RAS and your tunnel will look like it did on the Easynet kit. This is also a way of pretty much guaranteeing an IP address change on each login. CHAP is back because of FTTC stuff AIUI.

I digress (as always).

One of the reasons Sky is buying O2/Be is the IPv4 addresses they are allocated. There's a lot spare and there will be even more once the Be users lose their multiple IP address assignments. Every 6 weeks or so (maximum) if you're logged in via CHAP then the remote server will drop your PPP connection for around about 10 minutes as routes/tunnels/IP pools get rebalanced. Normally happens about 01:30 or so. If you're on MER the connection comes back up inside seconds, CHAP and its anything up to 9 minutes. If you resync inside that 6 week period then you're unlikely to see any PPP drops.

HTH.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 01:23:32 AM »

Hi Rizla

I understood some of what you say lol, as always your knowledge of it all astounds me.

I dont have a MER connection, its PPPoA and has been for a long while, I have sold the HG612 anyway because of the afore mentioned symptom. Iam back on the 2504N (modded) and it works extremely well, on 4db SNRM I get a 19Mb Sync & I can view the graphs & stats instantly in the router so Iam happy with it.

have to say the last time I had my DG834N in I left in for few weeks and didnt seem to get booted off again? sure I had it happen in the Netgear routers, anyway its not an issue (for the time being anyway).

thanks for the info

Shotgun

• Just arrived
  • Know a little - Share alot.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »

FYI

Sky have fluttered with the use of using CGN and BNG terminations (obviously with along side the standard PPPoA and IPoE terminations) due to the correctly above mentioned 'shortage of national IP addresses'. Just to let you know, if the issue have been since in and around December; Skys' ISAM-v and ISAM-b firmware has/is being upgraded as well as backhaul fibre link in prep for the 500,000 O2 customers and to relieve any bottle necked link - so with these network changes happening and also new firmware roll out to Sky routers; it probably is all has a part to your random disconnections.

Shotgun.
We're all on the same path in life, i'm just focused on my direction.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »

Hi Shotgun,

welcome to kitz :)

do you work for sky? you certainly seem to know a lot about it? - the disconnections only seemed to happen with non-sky routers and on the HG612 it was  sometime near end of last year I think... at moment Iam using modded 2504N.

cheers

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46:14 PM »

Sky have fluttered with the use of using CGN and BNG terminations (obviously with along side the standard PPPoA and IPoE terminations) due to the correctly above mentioned 'shortage of national IP addresses'. Just to let you know, if the issue have been since in and around December; Skys' ISAM-v and ISAM-b firmware has/is being upgraded as well as backhaul fibre link in prep for the 500,000 O2 customers and to relieve any bottle necked link - so with these network changes happening and also new firmware roll out to Sky routers; it probably is all has a part to your random disconnections.

Makes sense. Sooner or later they're going to have to bite the bullet and go IPv6 but even with bulk purchasing that's likely to run to over £100 million just on replacing routers. They could mitigate this to some extent by dropping the requirement for a "Sky" router and that'd get the early adopters onto IPv6 - maybe someone has planned for this with the trial of "self-install" FTTC but I doubt it.

Forcing session changes helps keep the network tunnels balanced anyway.

I still can't believe I ran a seminar for Pipex (as was) staff on the subject of preparing for an IPv6 transition in 2002. Yet here we are more than 10 years down the line and ARIN/RIPE ISPs are still failing to deal with the reality of diminishing IPv4 addresses.

Shotgun

• Just arrived
  • Know a little - Share alot.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »

Hi Shotgun,

welcome to kitz :)

do you work for sky? you certainly seem to know a lot about it? - the disconnections only seemed to happen with non-sky routers and on the HG612 it was  sometime near end of last year I think... at moment Iam using modded 2504N.

cheers

No comment ;) I know bits, haha.

Shotgun.

We're all on the same path in life, i'm just focused on my direction.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2013, 07:57:41 AM »

Makes sense. Sooner or later they're going to have to bite the bullet and go IPv6 but even with bulk purchasing that's likely to run to over £100 million just on replacing routers. They could mitigate this to some extent by dropping the requirement for a "Sky" router and that'd get the early adopters onto IPv6 - maybe someone has planned for this with the trial of "self-install" FTTC but I doubt it.

I still can't believe I ran a seminar for Pipex (as was) staff on the subject of preparing for an IPv6 transition in 2002. Yet here we are more than 10 years down the line and ARIN/RIPE ISPs are still failing to deal with the reality of diminishing IPv4 addresses.

Or sky can put their foot down and just get their router vendor to do a ipv6 firmware for the sky hub?

These router vendors saying a new router is needed as they want to sell units.  Its a classic way to make money, do not put all your eggs in your latest product, only enough to intice someone to buy it over the old product, ipv6 is one of those eggs.

BT are rolling out ipv6 this year, the hh4 is coming soon, I dont think they goign to do a hh4a or hh5 for ipv6, I expect will either be ipv6 already on the hh4 or it will be a firmware update.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • VM Gig1 - AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2013, 07:58:56 AM »

yep is a sad state of affairs.

anything