Broadband Related > Telephony Wiring + Equipment

will Engineer install new Master Socket?

(1/6) > >>

snadge:
My dad has a "new line" installation with Talk Talk on 18th... if he has old sockets will/should the engineer replace it with NTE-5..?

Iam going up there today visiting so will see what its like, but he explains that the drop wire comes into house into a "splitter" , one wire runs off to the master socket in living room and another runs off to several sockets around the home... we would be best removing the second wire from splitter OR rewiring it into the master sockets faceplate - i dont think he needs the second wire as he uses wireless phone upstairs which communicates with the main base section (doesnt need a phone port)

Am I right in saying the less joins in a line the better?  would he be able to get a new drop line installed directly into the master socket? cutting out the join from this splitter...?  do they make that much of a difference?

I am taking my SSFP up for him today as I have no use of it, I have a NTE-2000 anyway

thanks

HPsauce:
A pre-master "splitter" is definitely non-standard.
Personally I would supply written notes for the engineer, pointing out the splitter, non-standard extension wiring and stating where the master socket is required to be and that no extensions are required from that location.
Hopefully, if the required location is "within the rules" the engineer will 100% "regularise" the installation using the correct weatherproof connectors and cables; no need for you to do anything.

snadge:
thanks

ive had a look and its a right mess - ive told him he should install an NTE-5 but (from my experience with BT-OR Engineers) he will probably wanna BODGIT & LEGGIT lol... simply connect it to exchange and be off...

anyway, layout is so:-

there is a pipe coming out from ground into a JB under the window (the JB feeds another JB which feeds 2 neighbours) - anyway - the cable comes from the first JB and in through window into an old small rectangle splitter, in the same end the cable goes into a wire comes out and runs off along the other side of the living room where there is an NTE-5 'loose' on the floor with splitters feeding cables to a phone there then running off upstairs...  back at the old rectangle splitter another wire comes out the other end and runs to an LJU type socket (old master socket) which is fixed onto the top of a fixed unit and its facing the ceiling??? - as this point was nearest the cable entry point I told my dad thats where he wants the NTE-5 if it goes anywhere, or as near as that as possible, i told him the BTo engineer should replace that with an NTE-5 - I left him with an NTE-5 (albeit an older type) and an SSFP and told him to ask the BT engineer to install it ... he said shouldnt he be putting one in anyway? I said yes but he may not bother...so make sure, otherwise we will be doing it. and all other wiring to be ripped out, he is gunna use Wi-Fi to get broadband upstairs...

edit: Amended

burakkucat:
Very confusing, Snadge.  :(

A "drop wire" (or, as I prefer, a drop cable) is the aerial feed from a pole top DP to the premises. As you are talking about a "pipe coming out from ground into a JB under the window", it reads as if Snadge Snr is fed by an underground service cable.

Is there any possibility that you could photograph the existing wiring, sockets, junction boxes, etc, so that we can have a clear idea of what is present?

As HP has mentioned, if Senior has told TalkTalk that the current wiring is not up to specification and needs to be regularised, they would have it noted on the order and a competent engineer would be sent by Openreach to perform the task.

snadge:
@ B'Kat - sorry you are right... it is a underground service cable and not a drop cable...used to calling all cables into house drop cable lol... thanks for pointing that out, I have amended the document.

i cant take photos as im no longer there and its 60 miles away, does he have to contact Talk Talk to tell them to make sure the BT OR Engineer does his job properly?, I was always under the impression that 'if they see anything older than a NTE-5 they should replace it with an NTE-5'...? - the install date is now just 6 days away, he will not want to defer it any longer if possible.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version