Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Line Reset  (Read 2098 times)

mikew650

Line Reset
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:00:23 PM »

I had a 2mb stuck profile so I had the line reset. Before I had an average 3 mb connection speed with a 12db tsnr on an unstable line, prone to disconnects late evenings and in thundery weather conditions.

After the first reset the tsnr remained at 6 db and the latency stayed at fast despite a few bad disconnects during some lightning storms and others caused by a high error count. I even had a connection of 1120 kbs for 15 hours and the profile remained at 2mb. When the 10 day period was up the latency was changed from fast to interleaving and the line was reset again.

The 10 day period is up tomorrow and during this time i've had quite a few disconnects and the tsnr is still at 6 db but with this margin I'm resyncing near 4 mb. Since the line resets the FECs have gone from about 40,000 a day to 5 million and I've noticed thousands of CRCs showing just before a disconnect. Do you think there is a problem at the exchange as the DLM appears not to be interveaning. I am on ASDL 1 up to 8 mb.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Line Reset
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 04:57:23 PM »

Could be anywhere ??!! Get a Broadband Engineering Visit arranged.  :)

mikew650

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:45:18 PM »

Thanks for the reply.

I have had a OR engineer visit this week, sent by BT to do a line check. He used a JSU  meter and found no faults. He said the disconnections were not unusual on a long line like mine. When I mentioned about the stuck profile he went to the exchange and found the system showed an error when he pressed the reset button because it was still in the 10 day reset.

I wiil be contacting BT tommorow with my router stats. I was wondering if the DLM can be at fault if these problems can happen.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:39:09 PM »

The DLM should kick in at some point and adjust both the interleaving/and target SNR as needed.   Usually interleaving kicks in first.

The DLM is supposed to be independent of the IP profile, but if youve had a full reset then obviously both will have started afresh.
Ive heard of many a stuck IP profiles, and often the DLM being over-zealous, but never of a case of DLM kicking in at some point, it just sometimes takes longer than others.

Has the stuck IP profile now cleared? Sorry I cant see mention of this.

Without seeing your full line stats its impossible to say too much about your line, but the OR engineer is correct in that long lines do have frequent disconnections because they are more likely to need a higher target SNR to remain stable.  You should also see an immediate benefit when interleaving does kick in.

You can ask your ISP to physically set interleaved to ON for your line, but BTr will give you the stock reply and say they can do anything within the 10 day training period. :/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mikew650

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:58:07 AM »

I have had the 2mb profile for over 5 weeks, still the same now, and BT did the first reset 4 weeks ago. During the next 10 days the connection became unstable with the thundery weather but the latency and tsnr never changed. It stayed like that untill, prior to the next reset, 10 days ago,  interleaving was applied.

In this present 10 day period i managed to maintain a 5 day+ connection and then it became unstable again. Since the tsnr has been at 6 db I've noticed with the higher sync rate the error count, FEC and CRC have increased hugely so realise a higher tsnr is best for my line but the DLM has not interveaned  despite 6 resyncs in the last 2 days. I will be contacting fhe forum mod today abut this.

From this experience I've realised it is better to have a lower sync rate on an unstable line like mine and accept a lower profile. Browsing is smoother without the router having to cope with all the errors.

I have attached the router stats from the stable 5 day period showing all the error count and also the btspeedtest from the same time. I have since changed the HGV2700 to a Home Hub 2 because the business hub failed to reconnect after singnal loss and it had a solid red on the internet light. I had to do a menu reset before it would connect to the ISP.

anything