Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Broadband, Phone Land line, and Wifi major problem!  (Read 3025 times)

Clara Clot

• Just arrived
Broadband, Phone Land line, and Wifi major problem!
« on: July 07, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »

Hello out there!
This is something I dont usualy do but I could really do with some help from people in the know.

I have an Orange livebox wifi unit and have had several years of trouble free broadband from it.
However in the last few days its gone whacko and I'm not sure why. Let me list the things I've done and the symptoms.

Symptoms
1, The line into the Live box is all good but when I hook onto the wifi with my Iphone I loose landline and internet, I then have to reset the livebox and its all okay again. The desktop works, the lappy works etc. But the moment I hook on again the landline is dead again and we have to start all over again.

2, I can have either landline calls or Internet but not the two together.

What I've done

1, Line test by BT they say its all okay
2, Broadband test by Orange and they say its fine.
3, Replaced a damaged land line box thinking that might be the issue, but have ruled that out
4, Replaced the 2 ADSL filters no improvement
5, Channel changed on the Livebox, I was thinking that someonesnearby may have a new device that could be interfeering with the signal?

What I need to know is does anyone have any ideas why this is, can it be as a result of the inclement weather we have had recently? I live in a rural area and historicaly have had landline issues in high winds and hard rain.
Or is it a hardware issue maybe, is the Livebox past its sellby date and I should get another. I'm at a loss to know what to do now and am hoping I've missed something silly. Would be nice to jsut make sure I've covered all my bases before I get the IT lady out for a homme visit or perish the thought call BT and ask them to help???

Many thanks in advance

Clara Clot x

Mick

• Reg Member
Re: Broadband, Phone Land line, and Wifi major problem!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 05:47:42 PM »

Welcome!  :)

Symptoms
1, The line into the Live box is all good but when I hook onto the wifi with my Iphone I loose landline and internet, I then have to reset the livebox and its all okay again. The desktop works, the lappy works etc. But the moment I hook on again the landline is dead again and we have to start all over again.
This reads like a broken router.

You can reflash the firmware on your router and see if the problem persists, or better test the connection with another router.

2, I can have either landline calls or Internet but not the two together.
This reads like an ADSL error.

Do you get hissing/crackling down the line when in a voice call?  You can run a quiet line test as described here.

Can you also please post your router stats.
Regards,
Mick

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 09:43:35 PM »

just too add to what Mick has said...

when you said "the desktop is fine, the laptop is fine" - this read like you mean internet is fine on these devices... and when you say "hook up" I thought you meant your iPhone, so it read (to me) that you were suggesting its only when your iPhone hooks up to the live-box is when you have problems... is this right? ??  or is it any device?

if your ISP has tested the connection as OK then its possible the Wi-Fi module in the live-box is faulty, if it knocks off your landline (assuming this is a non-wireless phone) then it must be sending some form of EMI (ElectroMagnetic Interference) back through the router, ADSL Cable and filter which is causing problems with the phone line, if it IS a wireless phone then it could be RFI (Radio Frequency Interference) from the faulty Wi-Fi module thats knocking it off

can you also confirm that the computers can connect to internet via LAN and you can use the phone while doing so?

Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »

Hey and welcome  ;D

I am going with the router on this one. No harm is getting orange to replace the entire kit so you get new filters, DSL cable and router. However if it is a cordless phone you are using i would suggest you plug in a corded phone and connect your iphone to the wireless to see if it does the same thing.

Regards
Gary