Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Talktalk & Free Broadband  (Read 5411 times)

Peter

• Reg Member
  • My Country needed me????
Talktalk & Free Broadband
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:47:02 PM »

A few minutes ago I had a young woman at the door, (A pretty little thing I have to sasy! :-[)

Asking had I received the information about the recent lines updates?  no I hadn't.
She then went on to ask about was I on the internet and using broad band, yes I am.
She then said I should be getting my broadband free!!  Did I kknow that??  No I did not!.
Then, can I come in to check your line?  No you cannot!
OK thencan I ask who your provider is now?
Yes, I replied, but I'll not be telling you. At that she gave up went next door.

So was telling porkies re free broadband etc; or is this a way to get me to sign up for Talktalk??

Peter

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
Re: Talktalk & Free Broadband
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 05:04:58 PM »

Tell them nothing !!!!  >:(

Except to do one  :shoot:

I though all this door to door cold calling had been banned......... :shrug2:

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 05:41:31 PM »

Sounds a bit like a scam to me.  All sounded plausible doorstep selling except the "come in to check your line" bit.

Distraction burglary?
Opportunity to install some malware on your computer to create revenue/steal info?

odd.

Ian

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 06:07:04 PM »

Did she produce any ID.........irrc the last time we had TT calling at the door they gave a number to call so you could verify they were genuine.I did and they were.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 06:20:34 PM »

That's why companies are in business ..... to give their wares away for free. It's an old adage, but if it sounds too good .............. I think we all know the rest.  :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »

It might be genuine, although dubious as a business practice. They could be offering free internet for the first three months of a long contract, for example. As it happens, TT have just LLU'd my local exchange, and everyone connected to that exchange got a letter from TT offering half price (£3.25 a month) internet for the first 12 months. It also includes various freebies on the telephone side, and looks almost like an unmissable deal.
  Eric

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 06:59:19 PM »

She had her id badge hanging around her neck, the ribbon clearly showed TalkTalk, also there was a young man with her.

I went out later and watched her, passing several doors then calling at another, presumably the ones she passed were already TT customers.

When she claimed I should be getting free broadband it sounded like regardless of provider.

Peter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »

Probably something like this they did last year.  Free for 12 months, but have to take out the other services and sign up for a min of 18 months.. plus a connection fee.  After that you pay normal price.

Don't for one minute believe they will be physically checking your line,  that sounds more like a rouse to gain entry so they can get you to sign on the dotted line.   
Although they may ask to borrow your phone and dial in to TT to get an estimation of your line speed.  However the TT door to door type sales persons are usually given a mobile so they can ring base to get the estimation.   Its nothing special..  just the same info as you get from the BTw checker.. ie estimated speed 10-15 Mbps..  and then they will tell you you can get up to 15Mbps.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Peter

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2012, 07:21:30 PM »

Anyway, it was a failed sale.

Peter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2012, 07:33:18 PM »

I quite like it when they knock on my door.

My daughter says Im cruel.   Im not... honest...  I just act dumb until they come out with any bovine.  :angel:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Blackeagle

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »

It might be genuine, although dubious as a business practice. They could be offering free internet for the first three months of a long contract, for example. As it happens, TT have just LLU'd my local exchange, and everyone connected to that exchange got a letter from TT offering half price (£3.25 a month) internet for the first 12 months. It also includes various freebies on the telephone side, and looks almost like an unmissable deal.

The half price deal is for the call package. Then you would have line rental on top of this.  Broadband however, is free on a talktalk LLU line, otherwise its £15 per month on IPStream.  Thats assuming you go for the 'essentials' package with a 40Gb download cap.  The 'plus' package costs more but you get more inclusive stuff on your call package & unlimited download.  Fibre is £10 on top of either package if you go for the 40/2 offering or £15 if you go for 80/20.
ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI -- TalkTalk Broadband since 2006

anything