Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Your valued thoughts, please ??  (Read 46406 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Your valued thoughts, please ??
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 06:02:50 PM »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Of course BE, how could I forget ?? ;D

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »

Maybe install OS X as a guest operating system in VirtualBox on your existing PC  to see if you like it?!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fxz7jVI9kQ[/youtube]

http://www.virtualbox.org/

cheers, a

EDIT:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 08:39:33 PM by asbokid »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 06:48:32 PM »

Crikey asbo !! Where did you pull that from ??  ;D

I'll be honest, I'm not confident enough to attempt installing a new OS, even via a step-by-step guide. Having seen other EU's i-Macs, I think I'll be taking the leap pretty soon though. I'll just have to adapt to the new OS as I go.
I really appreciate the help and comments though. I was hoping to get feedback along these lines, even more-so what 7LM has given, a kinda 'likes' and 'dislikes (Pro's and cons).

All I need now is for someone to say they know a man who knocks them out for a monkey, and all's well !!!  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers all.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »

Not that OSX isn't a good operating system, because it is.  My only issue with apple gear is that you have to do everything apple's way, or you simply don't do it.  Even upgrading the memory or changing the HD on an apple system isn't the straightforward job it is with Windows or Linux.

Thats one of my bug-bears too..  I'd love an i-Mac, and there certainly is some sort of status about owning one..  but as already pointed out the price seems so much more when you compare to what you could get from a system running another O/S.   I also wish Apple didnt make it so costly to upgrade things that are simple and cheap on a PC.. nor were they so propreitory about what you can and cant do.

Take my ipad for example..  yeah I love it and yep it is a status symbol to have an i-whatever.  But when it comes to purchasing again/replacing, I doubt it would be apple, because (1) it annoys the hell out of me that I cant put on it what I want (ie Flash), and (2) to add parts that would cost peanuts on another system (such as memory) then you no can do and instead have to purchase a new and more up to date model.

Apple is considered good if you are say into graphics/web design, or music editing,  but IMHO for the average user a PC would perhaps be best. I know everyone likes to slate Windows, but when it comes to choice of software or even repairs or support then without doubt PC does have the edge.  You have to consider that if going apple then certain software wont be available (there will be alternatives), but it means the transfer of existing data/programmes/apps is going to be harder.

As regards to getting them cheaper anywhere, not really Apple fixes its prices -  and retailer prices dont tend to be much cheaper (if at all) than buying from Apple direct.   You can sometimes pick up cheaper if you are prepared to go for a model that is just about to be replaced by a newer and greater model.

Ive seen OSX installed within virtual boxes, but IMHO its just a geeky thing to play with if you want to try out some high end specific software.
If you are wanting a change of O/s you could always go for linux.  :D

Granted there was no monitor involved in mine....  but I can tell you that without doubt my new system is higher spec, at less than half the cost, of the imac on sale at £1649.  Even by the time you add in a nice monitor you could still make some serious savings.

But if you want it all to work out of the box, if you want it to look smart, and you want to be geeky then by all means go Apple because that is what they are good at. :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 07:03:08 PM »

Ha ha ......... thanks for the candid reply, Kitz.

I can assure you, I'm not the type of man who actively seeks out 'status symbols'. I really do just like the look of the thing.

I seem to spend quite a lot of time on my PC (rightly or wrongly), and as such, can justify to myself spending the kind of cash being asked. I wont be photo-editing, or whatsits with music, just basically doing what I'm doing now. The consensus thus far indicates it's a quality bit of kit, although quite pricey. I dont mind paying through the nose for quality.  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 07:13:22 PM »

I well aware I saved quite a bit of money on mine, by spending ages faffing about trying to decide on the parts and having to spend time trying to get compatible hardware, and Im aware that not everyone wants to do that...   but as an example of an out of the box PC solution..  try looking at something like this
http://www.medion.com/gb/electronics/prod/MEDION%C2%AE+AKOYA%C2%AE+P5327+E+%28MD8198%29/310015998?category=erazer_35&recId=d57837ae-8971-4475-b558-4283edb47c7e

Which has better, faster, processor and more disk space, than the imac costing £1650.  Add on a 27" monitor at £200 and you'll see what we mean about how much cheaper a PC is.

>>> The consensus thus far indicates it's a quality bit of kit, although quite pricey. I dont mind paying through the nose for quality.

I do get your point, and by all means if thats what you want... (and by gawd they do look smart)..  then go for it, and become an apple-man :D

========

oops scrap that link..  I was trying to get a shorter version of the original link and its not got the same processor as the 1st one I looked at..  its an i-7 but only 2600..  if you have a look around there is one somewhere with the better processor.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 07:17:51 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 07:39:07 PM »

Why do I get the feeling you wont talk to me again, if I do purchase an i-Mac, Kitz !!  :lol: :lol:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 08:33:50 PM »

Why do I get the feeling you wont talk to me again
Well, being honest, a big part of the problem is that, like oil and water, Mac's and PC's and more especially Mac and PC supporters, just don't mix.
So, in reality the chances of you getting an unbiased view, especially from people who don't know you or your needs and skills well, is minimal.

Obviously there are a few exceptions, but you might as well be sitting astride the "wall" the Israelis built in the West Bank and ask the people nearby for an unbiased opinion.  :angel:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 08:43:32 PM »

Ha ha ...... point taken. Looks like a trip down the M6 to Coventry, for me then.  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »

Why do I get the feeling you wont talk to me again, if I do purchase an i-Mac, Kitz !!  :lol: :lol:

Haha not at all..  As I said in my first post, I'd love one..  They do look good... I suppose with me budget is always going to sway things, and for me personally I couldn't justify the additional cost over a pc

If I do stop speaking to you it will only be cause I've gone green with envy.   :lol:

Pasts I am happy with my new pc though....  Just need about another six months to install everything I need on it  :D
-----

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 09:35:26 PM »

Is now the wrong time to chip in and say that the computer I'm currently using I found next to a bin in the street. Honestly!

OK, it needed fixing, and I've bought a faster CPU and memory (from ebay) but it's still running  :D

Ian

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012, 10:41:24 PM »

A man after my own heart!  Are you the same with cars?  Amazing what gems are being scrapped these days. And all because of some trivial problem - a billowing head gasket, exploded gearbox, Cat. C front-end write-off, faulty ABS or airbags, or all of the above?  Hard to resist such a bargain?!

There's a well-documented ebay phenomenon concerning SPARES OR REPAIR.  More of a mental disorder, perhaps, that afflicts only men.

List anything on ebay as FAULTY and suddenly it attracts dozens of male bidders, all keen to prove their expertise at fixing the unfixable. And the more broken it is, the more bids it gets!  Must be a primitive Alpha Male Ego thing!

cheers, a
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:26:36 AM by asbokid »

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012, 11:29:54 PM »

List anything on ebay as FAULTY and suddenly it attracts dozens of male bidders, all keen to prove their expertise at fixing the unfixable. And the more broken it is, the more bids it gets!  Must be a primitive Alpha Male Ego thing!

cheers, a

Yes, I've witnessed that!

A few years ago I bid a few quid on what seemed to be a bricked Netgear media player (described as spares or repairs)  as I believed I knew how to unbrick it.  ;)

Come the last few minutes of auction I logged on at work and watched anxiously, ready to place the killer last-minute bid.  But amazingly, a spiral of bids in the last couple of minutes left my bids cold, and quickly went to within a whisker of the price you could buy the thing for, brand new, from Amazon.  :lol:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 08:18:16 PM »

I'm hooked ........ it can do anything can an i-Mac. I love 'em. Now where's mi' cheque book.  :)

http://www.apple.com/uk/why-mac/

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 12:35:56 AM »

lmao...  go fer it BS.

Apple are very good at making things look sexi..  but they are also very good at marketing their products to make them look uber-sexi.

I think thats what hooked me in on both the ATV and the ipad.  :blush:
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6