Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hewlett Packard ML110 G7 - Xeon Quad Core E3-1220 with HP cashback £230  (Read 13845 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

A large proportion of failures of modern consumer electronics are attributable to aluminium electrolytic capacitors, the lifetime of which is governed by a chemical process which is a function of temperature.  As a rule of thumb, life of these caps is halved for every 10 degree increase in temp.

The motherboard of this PC has a boot-up splash screen which boasts that it uses only solid capacitors (presumably solid aluminium). These are much more stable over time and temperature than the cheaper and far more common wet aluminium types.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

A large proportion of failures of modern consumer electronics are attributable to aluminium electrolytic capacitors, the lifetime of which is governed by a chemical process which is a function of temperature.  As a rule of thumb, life of these caps is halved for every 10 degree increase in temp.

The motherboard of this PC has a boot-up splash screen which boasts that it uses only solid capacitors (presumably solid aluminium). These are much more stable over time and temperature than the cheaper and far more common wet aluminium types.

How about the PSU?  I've seen more cap failures in PSUs than I have on motherboards, presumably because they are nearly still ticking over while when in standby, raising the internal temperatures of caps.

Sounds like progress though.  Cap failures on motherboards are rarely repairable, and usually I suspect the entire PC would just be binned. :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats

You're right. At least the PSU is easily replaceable.
  Eric
Pages: 1 [2]