Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: o2 contract running out next week.......  (Read 15565 times)

happy37

• Reg Member
Re: o2 contract running out next week.......
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2012, 09:20:28 AM »

Mr B Cat et al,

Good morning, everyone.

Thanks for that really useful info - much appreciated.

Here are the Google Maps URL links for 3 cabs that I've found in mine and the surrounding streets:-

1. http://goo.gl/maps/XgmB

This green cab is in the road called Southover, which is just up the road from my road Brook Lane. I went past there last night, but I could not see the number 53 or any nunbers on there for that matter?

2. http://goo.gl/maps/x7Qx

This green cab is at the top of my road Brook Lane. Again, no number 53 written on this one, but there are 8 or 9 digits written on there? These could be 1510.....

Is this a PCP/phone/FTTC cab?

3. http://goo.gl/maps/lAIF

This 3rd cab is directly opposite my house in Brook Lane. Again, no number 53 written on this one, but there are 8 or 9 digits written on there. Looks like 1510 2106 according to Google Maps? Is this a PCP/phone/FTTC cab?

Haven't found any more green cabs around yet, but unless someone "in the know" can confirm which one of these cabs is indeed PCP 53, I will be most grateful.

And finally, @burakkucat:-

There is one other way. Keep a look-out for an Openreach engineer in your neighbourhood and then just ask her/him where the particular PCP of interest is located. :D

Let's see - I might just do that, but it depends if he/she will be one to talk or not.    :P    ;D    :D

Thanks.

Regards

happy37

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2012, 01:17:35 AM »

Hello Happy,

Thank you for providing those links. Unfortunately none of those cabinets appear (to me) to be PCPs and they are certainly not FTTCs. I believe they are Cable TV cabinets, now absorbed into the Virgin Media empire. It has been a very long time since I was last in that area, although it is still in my memory. Certainly if anyone asked me "Do you know Burnt Ash Lane, Southover, Brook Lane or Avondale Road?" I would smile and indicate in the affirmative!

To give you some idea for what you should be looking, RobertoS (a long term inhabitant on the ThinkBroadband fora) has a website on which there is a page with a selection of images of street cabinets. Of the first nine images on that page, numbers 3, 5 & 6 are of FTTCs, whilst numbers 1, 2, 4, 7, 8 & 9 are examples of typical PCPs.

Finally as {LSCTFD}{P53} is already "fibre active", it should have its FTTC twin fairly close by. So you should be particularly interested in any two green cabinets that are within 100 metres of each other.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2012, 07:17:40 PM »

Yes, thank you for the links Happy37.

I hope you can cope with the membership of Kitz Forum coming round for a garden party. ;D

Why is part of your house blocked out of the google map?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

happy37

• Reg Member
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2012, 09:12:03 PM »

I hope you can cope with the membership of Kitz Forum coming round for a garden party. ;D

Yes, why not - the Kitz fora/forum members are all most welcome.  :)

Why is part of your house blocked out of the google map?

Huh? - you totally lost me there?! Which picture and what bit are you looking at and referring to?

Thanks again.

Any more news with your new fibre install then? Unless I missed it, who are you having this installed from, and what product are going for?

Good luck!    :)  ;)  :D  ;D

Regards

happy37

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2012, 09:27:08 PM »

I've just had another look Happy37 and the blocked out bit has shown up this time.
Must have been a bit not showing up.

Although I have changed modem for the Netgear GT which i s a bit faster.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 02:20:58 PM »

Just received my new router from Origin,a TP Link TL-WR740N,looks a right bit of cheap kit ...........£11 on Amazon  :-X

I hope it preforms better than it looks,its as light as a feather,I wonder if there anything actually inside it... ;D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 02:40:21 PM »

There seems to be a few decent reviews for your router UncleUB.
I've had my BTHH3 type A since the 19th. Not many good reviews about that one. :(
Still when I've had it a while there's plenty of postings about it on here.

I hope yours is a good 'un.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 02:52:56 PM »

There seems to be a few decent reviews for your router UncleUB.
I've had my BTHH3 type A since the 19th. Not many good reviews about that one. :(
Still when I've had it a while there's plenty of postings about it on here.

I hope yours is a good 'un.

Perhaps I am jumping the gun Colin,and you can't judge a book by its cover.

I also will be getting a Cellpipe bridging modem,this connects to the router.The router is from the isp(Origin) and the Cellpipe modem is from Thales (who are running the Digital Region project)

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 03:55:04 PM »

If DR is using the Alcatel Cellpipe 7130 then inside it is much the same as the Huawei HG612 (BCM6368-based).  i.e. should perform the same. The same modem is used by Telus in North America.

http://peterkieser.com/2011/03/17/telus-vdsl2-modems-deployed-in-the-field/

cheers, a

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »

Some Digital Region users have switched from using the Cellpipe modem to an unlocked Huawei EchoLife HG612 Home Gateway, so as to be able to gather their VDSL2 statistics using Baldy_Bird's scripts.  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2012, 04:28:44 PM »

I see the Linux kernel is in there. :thumbs:

asbokid

• Kitizen
    • Hacking the 2Wire
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 06:02:34 PM »

I see the Linux kernel is in there. :thumbs:

Yup, 2.6.21.5 is the very same Linux kernel version found in the Huawei HG612, one model of VDSL2 modem supplied by BT Openreach!  [1]

The development toolchain for yet another series of BCM6368 devices - the Actiontec 1000 range - is pre-built and ready to use.  Peter Kieser is very graciously hosting those toolchain files. [2]

The toolchain contains a cross-compiler, assembler, linker, and embedded C libraries for the MIPS32 cores in these modems.  In the absence of an official Alcatel toolchain for the Cellpipe 7130, the Actiontec tools could be an easy route for hacking the 7130.

The toolchain released by Huawei for the HG612 now needs tweaking. The team who developed it - buildroot [3] - have moved things around on their website.  And the makefile scripts for the toolchain only download what is needed for the build.  Since that "spring clean" at buildroot.org, the scripts are now broken.  Patching them is a possibility though.

Has the purpose for the mini-DIN(?)  socket on the Cellpipe 7130 front-panel been established yet? [4]   Maybe a few photos of the Cellpipe PCB would clarify its role?

Rather than being a console serial port, it might be a battery backup (BBU) socket*. Apparently in some US states,  BBU on residential gateways with VOIP is obligatory. State laws say that it is must be possible to call 911 at all times, even during power outages, etc.    So the socket on the Cellpipe 7310 provided by Digital Region might be a throw-back to that?

cheers, a

* Maybe still an RS232 interface but using a proprietary serial protocol instead of a shell listening on it..

[1] http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/what-is-different-between-the-sp06-and-the-sp10-firmware/
[2] http://peterkieser.com/2011/09/24/actiontec-releases-removed-from-open-source-download-area/
[3] http://buildroot.uclibc.org/about.html
[4] http://drlforum.co.uk/showthread.php?tid=222
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 06:30:20 PM by asbokid »
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything