Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Yet another 'what router should I get' question  (Read 3516 times)

IGraham

• Just arrived
Yet another 'what router should I get' question
« on: July 04, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »

Hello

A question you'll have read one before  - what router should I get
I've been looking for awhile now and every time I think' this is the one' I'll come across a 'don't buy it's rubbish' review somewhere - my brain is about to retreat into catatonia
I've been using a 2700HGV (£5 of the market) for the last few years with my desktop without problem.
I've recently bought myself a NAS and have set up an (oldish) laptop to access it wirelessly from another room. The laptop is ok receiving web pages and suchlike but accessing files on the NAS is slow and I'm thinking its time to get a better router.
So could someone suggest a asdl2  n router that, will connect and stay connected, will connect wirelessly from more that 3m whilst still giving a good rate, wont die within 3 days, wont need protracted expensive phone calls to get working etc etc etc ......
Yes I know a Billion would do the job but unfortunately after buying the NAS funds are severely diminished, I could (if I switch off the sensible part of the brain) go as high as £50
All suggestions gratefully received

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Yet another 'what router should I get' question
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 03:28:47 PM »

I presume that the laptop is connecting via WiFi, so if I understand you correctly, the only problem is the wireless speed and range. The 2700HGV actually has a rather good wireless performance, so I suspect that the problem may be the way it's set up and not the router itself. The first thing I would do is check out different wireless channels, in case your router may be on the same channel as a neighbour. The other thing to check out is that the wireless interface of the laptop is properly set up.

If these checks don't yield any improvement, a good technical option would be to get a wireless access point and disable the wireless in the 2700HGV.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:50:26 PM »

Continuing along the same path as Eric, would you explain to us in a little more detail why you feel the need to replace the 2Wire 2700HGV, please?

As a robust modem/router/WAP, capable of holding sync on troublesome long lines and eminently usable in ADSL/ADSL2/ADSL2+ modes, a 2Wire 2700HGV or a 2Wire 2701HGV-C should be perfectly capable of performing the tasks you are asking of it.

For about £10-00, you could purchase a brand new 2Wire 2701HGV-C via eBay . . .  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

IGraham

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 08:49:18 PM »

Thanks for the replys
So the 2700HGV is classed as a good wireless router, slightly surprised, I just expected newer routers to be much better - wishful thinking I suppose
Still probably saved me a few £ - I hope

Possibly you could advice me if the settings I have should be changed - other than trying a different frequency
2700HGV is Wifi to the laptop but wired to the desktop (W7)
The settings on the router are - as I didn't know what they should be I guessed as
Wireless Channel: 13 (2472 Mhz )
Authentication: WPA2-PSK
Wireless Mode: 802.11b/g
DTIM Period: 3
Maximum Connection Rate: 54 Mbps
Power Setting: 6

The laptop, Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - I'm a novice regards Ubuntu and still struggling to find anything
Wireless card is Belkin Wireless G Network PCMCIA PC Card 802.11g 2.4GHz F5D7010
Ubuntu detected the card and it just worked, if there's any settings to be set I don't know or how to find them - yet

Any suggestions or advice please

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:11:15 PM »

Please don't think that we are saying the 2Wire devices are consistently better than others, it just seems that one should be able to do what you require of it.

When making the adjustments, please do so via the Ethernet (wired) connection. My suggestions are:

Code: [Select]
Wireless Channel: Auto
Authentication: WPA2-PSK
Wireless Mode: 802.11g
DTIM: <the default value>
Maximum Connection Rate: 54 Mbps
Power Setting: <maximum>

MAC Filtering Enabled

Perhaps Eric will be able to add to that suggestions list?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 10:45:49 PM »

I don't think I've got anything to add, but I would suggest that you leave MAC filtering until everything else is working properly - it adds security of course, but it's also an extra complication which might get in the way of solving the problem in hand.
  Eric