Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Bid for Troubled UK South Yorkshire Digital Region Broadband Network  (Read 5638 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

:o

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2012/07/bt-bid-for-troubled-uk-south-yorkshire-digital-region-broadband-network.html

If BT did bid and were successful where would that leave the ISP's who are already operating under the Digital Region arm,and more to the point what would happen to their existing customers.. ???

I am getting a bit worried now as I was going to ask O2 for a MAC at the end of the week with a view to move over to one of the DR isp's... :-\

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather

At the end of the day UncleUB BT will own the flaming lot once again. They already have most of the market and if they just wait then Digital Region will be theirs. You may well finish up with the company you dislike for a provider as they will be the only one left. I am in the same boat as you. I left BT because of all the bother of over seas phone centers and fault repair was a joke unless it was a phone fault.
I have heard that Telefonica (O2) are having a hard time of it, so don't be surprised if they sell out. All I can say is get what you can where you can.
Good Luck.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

Thanks for your reply Colin  :)

I am going to go ahead and join Origin Broadband.I have been with O2 3 years and tbh they have been good,but through no fault of their own they cannot give me anything faster than 2.5mb due to my line length.Their c/s has been second to none in all the time I have been with them.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project

Oh dear, Uncle. I can understand your concern.

However, as things currently stand, I would suggest that you continue with your migration from O2 to your DR ISP.

Why? I do not think O2, as a viable company, have much time left in this world . . .  :bye:

Assuming that Beatie does end up owning the DR infrastructure, you may find yourself in a similar situation to customers of Orange. You would still be a customer of your chosen DR ISP, they would provide you with support services, etc, just the physical infrastructure would be owned by the Beatie Group plc and managed by Beatie Operate. (Which is a new division within the Evil Empire of Newgate Street, formed to perform the engineering tasks that Openreach no longer perform. As for the distinction / division between Openreach and Operate, we really need Black Sheep to educate us with an insider's view.)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen

Why? I do not think O2, as a viable company, have much time left in this world . . .  :bye:

As one of the most successful and popular mobile phone companies in the country, I don't agree I am afraid.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

As one of the most successful and popular mobile phone companies in the country, I don't agree I am afraid.

Agree or not, please check the financial standing of its Parent Company / Owner. It may remain, in one form or another, as a mobile phone service provider but not as an ISP.

Please let's not hijack Uncle's thread regarding his concerns over Beatie's bid for the DR infrastructure.  :friends:

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather

Not wishing to hijack the thread, but if O2 the phone company sold out to BT then I would be back with the company that I started with.
I wonder if they would call it BTCellnet.

I'm with Burakkucat, UncleUB, change your ISP as it may be an easier transition if and when it does happen that BT acquires Digital Region. You will also have the satisfaction of knowing your poll taxes were well spent. As soon as I know the fiber is up my way I will jump ship for it.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen

However, as things currently stand, I would suggest that you continue with your migration from O2 to your DR ISP.

Assuming that Beatie does end up owning the DR infrastructure, you may find yourself in a similar situation to customers of Orange. You would still be a customer of your chosen DR ISP, they would provide you with support services, etc, just the physical infrastructure would be owned by the Beatie Group plc and managed by Beatie Operate. (Which is a new division within the Evil Empire of Newgate Street, formed to perform the engineering tasks that Openreach no longer perform. As for the distinction / division between Openreach and Operate, we really need Black Sheep to educate us with an insider's view.)

In a nutshell, Operate are mainly Exchange based engineering staff (Obviously as mooted before, they also maintain GEA sites as well). They are responsible for the 'equipment', rather than the network. which as you know is Openreach's domain. This is not just signalling equipment, but also Power equipment as well, such as the back-up SLA's and genny sets, rectification and suite-end power racks. I'm not 100% sure, but think 'Transmission' duties also come under Operate too ??

The problem is we have that many 're-orgs' that no one is sure of anything anymore !! We're literally 3-4 weeks off another massive company re-org.

Regarding Uncle's dilemma, hmmm not sure what would be the best course of action i'm afraid ??

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk

Very quick comment as I don't know much about the other bidders, but in BTs defence on the ISPs they have taken over, they are more or less left to their own devices and continue more or less in the traditional way they did previously.  I think plusnet would be a good example of this.

However here, it mentions a btw rather than btr takeover so there possibly would be an amalgamation of the back haul which could bring both benefits an ddisadvantages.

However the thought crosses my mind thAt buying a Yorkshire based fibre provder sits rather nice with a certain other Yorkshire based ISP.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

However the thought crosses my mind thAt buying a Yorkshire based fibre provder sits rather nice with a certain other Yorkshire based ISP.

;)

Could be possible.

I shall be asking for a MAC off O2 first thing Monday morning..........watch this space  ;D

openreach dude

'Transmission' duties also come under Operate too ??

Black sheep is correct, the trasmission side is BT operate, i was working on the sdh before i wet to OR engineering.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project

Black sheep is correct, the trasmission side is BT operate, i was working on the sdh before i wet to OR engineering.

:thumbs: