Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: ca/vnu.net forum  (Read 19527 times)

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
ca/vnu.net forum
« on: November 24, 2007, 07:12:20 PM »

I hesitate to use the words contained in the subject line on this august forum, but has anyone else been trying to get onto that "other place" forum today ?

I've been trying all day, through various routes, and it is just not opening. (Don't know whether to be glad or sad about that).

Is it me, or is it like that for all ?? 

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
Re: ca/vnu.net forum
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 07:59:11 PM »

I just tried and can't get in.
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Achilles Last Stand

• Kitizen
  • http://www.saveplanetrock.co.uk/ Save Planet Rock!
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 08:30:31 PM »

It's been playing up all day... apparently if you disable javascript for that site it works - but is it really worth the faff?

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 09:50:46 PM »

Crikey!
If Peter cannot get on, he will have nothing else to do, so by the time it's back on line he may be really blathered on his Ovaltine.  ??? ???
Best to stay clear of the danger area for a while.  :no:
dave

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2007, 09:43:37 AM »

I only pop in there these days when I'm completely bored, and have absolutely nothing else better to do.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 11:09:56 AM »

I posted something on there yesterday.

I dont know exactly whats happened but it looks like someone has either deleted or moved some pages around on the server.  Some of the javascript files that are needed to display the page are missing.
For eg http://tools.vnu.net/resources/javascript/en/v7_en_search.js

Some other files also needed to display the pages such as the CSS are returning a bad gateway error saying theres a problem with the upstream server.

If you turn off javascript it stops the pages from calling these files hence why you can then view the site.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tuftedduck

• Senior Kitizen
  • Router Luvvin Duck
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 11:42:32 AM »

Morning, and ta for the responses.

Not worth the faffing about to fiddle with javascript, will just have to wait.

Frustrating as my neighbour is having a prob with her PC and bighearted Tuftedduck says "don't worry I can sort it out in a jiffy" knowing full well that he had just read the answer to the same prob on CA.

Now he can't get back to the solution and is looking a right fool in front of her next door.  :-[

That'll teach me !!

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 02:08:22 PM »

For something which should be a flagship site for the magazine it's little more than a pile of pooh these days.

Anne r

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 03:00:16 PM »

Vnunet forums have been "slow loading" since around midnight Friday (I was posting on there when it went down).
The content is all set out wrong when the page does load, obvously due to the problems Kitz has pointed out.

It is the users who have been desperatley waiting for replies to their problems who I feel sorry for.  :(

maxping

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 03:38:42 PM »

For something which should be a flagship site for the magazine it's little more than a pile of pooh these days.

They should have allowed a couple of the trusted members to become moderators as was suggested months ago,they were not interested and ignored several members private messages requesting this,its their loss.

dave.m

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007, 06:35:09 PM »

Just checked with William Hills and the best odds that I could get were 500/1 that CA offer an apology and explanation when they get it back up and working.
Obviously I did not even risk a £1 on that.  :no:
dave

paul-49

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007, 07:03:27 PM »

In my opinion C/A went down hill a long time ago, A lot of good people have left over the years, some do pop back from time to time, problem is C/A won't listen, we have told them time and time again what is needed but it falls on deaf ears. whats the new forum, Accounting Technology, yes really just whats needed, not

Floydoid

• Addicted Kitizen
  • Prog Rock Fan
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007, 07:47:40 PM »

They should have allowed a couple of the trusted members to become moderators as was suggested months ago,they were not interested and ignored several members private messages requesting this,its their loss.

I was always an advocate for letting the respected members run the forum as moderators, the current system, i.e. having to hunt in packs to hound out the idiots is far from satisfactory, plus the fact that any appointed VNU staff seem to see the job as a low priority.

maxping

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007, 08:01:01 PM »

I was always an advocate for letting the respected members run the forum as moderators, the current system, i.e. having to hunt in packs to hound out the idiots is far from satisfactory, plus the fact that any appointed VNU staff seem to see the job as a low priority.

I heard they drew straws and the loser got the job of moderator.  :lol:

ianrj

• Just arrived
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007, 11:32:55 PM »

Frustrating as my neighbour is having a prob with her PC and bighearted Tuftedduck says "don't worry I can sort it out in a jiffy" knowing full well that he had just read the answer to the same prob on CA.

What's the problem tuftedduck?  All the experts are here and just desperate to help you. Come on, get posting.
Pages: [1] 2 3