Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Figures, and what they mean.......  (Read 2275 times)

Wakou

• Just arrived
Figures, and what they mean.......
« on: November 23, 2007, 07:41:19 PM »

Could one of you experts have a look at these figures for me please? It would seem that my router has died, it cannot "train" to a DSL signal, so I have gone back to my old BT voyager 105 Modem. Expecting an engineer's visit today after six weeks of problems I was astonished to find that a speed test returned reasonable figures of about 4800. This went on for an hour or two, and then back to the speeds you see on these screen shots. The engineer did not turn up. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Figures, and what they mean.......
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:48:26 AM »

Hi from what I can see there your actual physical connection looks fine
You are connecting at 6112 so therefore in an ideal situation your speeds should be somewhere around 5Mbps.

Although saying that I notice your attenuation is 23.5 and I would expect you to be able to sync higher than you are doing.
I cant see what your SNR Margin is as it is possibly just under the attenuation figures.  There is the chance that you have some spare SNR to play with.
or it could be that youve has a bout of bad syncs which could have increased your target SNR

I'm not sure who your ISP is but can you try doing a BTw Performance test please and paste the results (minus your phone no).
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwperformancetest.htm

That throughput is exceedingly slow compared to what your router stats are showing.. Im wondering if you have a low IP profile which the above test should clarify.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

oldfogy

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
  • If it ain't broke....... I'll soon fix it.
Re: Figures, and what they mean.......
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:24:34 AM »

Just as a matter of interest curiosity (as this is not my field whatsoever)

If your speed test is showing pretty good, what is it that is giving you a slow download figure, is it anything like P2P/torrents?

Also I notice you have my old friend (well ex friend really) Norton installed, have you checked any settings there to make sure it is not blocking your router?