Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Visitors to my garden  (Read 15437 times)

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
Re: Visitors to my garden
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2013, 08:09:02 PM »

A new year bump to this thread, as I've just updated the GardenCam site.  I've made a time-lapse movie from still pictures, taken every hour from mid-May 2012 until Mid January 2013.

This will take you to the time lapse movie : http://sheddyian.hopto.org/movie.shtml

As you'll see, although it was wonderful seeing the Foxes visit the garden, they did rather trash it and flattened a great deal.  The bad weather didn't help, of course.  Ironic that, although it was the 6th year I've planted a wildflower meadow there, the 1st year I try a webcam on it I get the worst flower growth/coverage/variety!

Still, onwards and upwards, as they say on Gardeners Question Time.  Once the ground dries out a bit, I'll dig it over and start again.  Might not put fox food out this year though!

Ian

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2013, 10:05:36 PM »

Wonderful idea both with the camera and I really like the wild garden.

I miss the number of birds you see in the UK. It's marked how low the bird population is here in the US where I've been so far. It's mainly the North American Robin which is a red breasted thrush. Although at the moment there are hundreds and hundreds of geese in multiple V formations Looking more like a WW11 bomber scene.

I went on a elementary school field trip as a Volenteer. The Local Raptor group brought 4 Raptors for the kids to see at the local library  :)

One of the great bonuses of being a BT engineer is the amount of wildlife you get to see. Like an Owl casualy flying past staring right at you as if its thinking 'What on earth is a human doing up that pole, weird !' I didn't like it when the berries were in season. One pole in the centre of Wymondham looked as if it where painted at the top bright pink. It was like a thick hot pink greese. I then asked through the kitchen window for the customer to check their line as let's just say, a blue uniform wasn't exactly subtle with what I was coated in so I wasn't going inside any customers house.

Keep up the web cam, What a fantastic use for the web. Maby if you still have the old one, perhaps rig that one up for an alternate angle ?

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2013, 10:16:38 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement.  I'll keep it going, hoping that the flowers will do better this year and not get trampled by foxes!

The new thing is the improvised bird table, but the motion capture I was trying out isn't working too well - I hoped to get a picture every time a bird landed on the table, but it seems to trigger almost randomly, despite a lot of tweaking to filter out plants moving in the breeze.

The old webcam really was terrible, so I probably wouldn't re-use it.  IN any case, I gave it to a friend, but I might get a 2nd one if I can easily add it to the site.

Some months back I ordered a remote controlled one from Amazon, poor resolution (640x480 I think) butyou could pan and tilt it remotely by it's own web interace, and it was about £7.  The thing never arrived, later realised I hadn't been billed for it either so I reckon it had been a mistake or they'd all gone very quickly. 

It had been my plan to try that out in or near the garden as well.

Ian

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 01:32:47 AM »

Ironic that, although it was the 6th year I've planted a wildflower meadow there, the 1st year I try a webcam on it I get the worst flower growth/coverage/variety!

You probably are aware of the fact but, just in case not, for the best wildflower meadow the ground really needs to be quite impoverished.

Have you thought about just strimming it over and removing all the cuttings, then covering the ground with coke-ash and cinders?

Now having viewed the time-lapse movie, I was rather started by what I saw at around 3m 12s . . . a greater-checked sheddybum!  :swoon: 

Screen-scrape attached, below.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:28:23 AM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2013, 11:01:36 AM »

You probably are aware of the fact but, just in case not, for the best wildflower meadow the ground really needs to be quite impoverished.

Have you thought about just strimming it over and removing all the cuttings, then covering the ground with coke-ash and cinders?

Yep, I am aware that wildflowers prefer poor soil.  I wonder how poor though?

Prior to the 1st year, the ground had been covered with brambles for a long time.  After I cleared it and dug it over, I planted the wildflower seed far too densely as far as the sowing guide on the tub was concerned.  After some weeks and very little to show, I panicked a bit and watered it with a solution of Phostrogen or similar.  (I was regularly watering it anyway)

Interestingly, that year was the best year - unbelievable mix of plants and flowers.

Subsequent years I've still sown the seed more densely than advised, and it's largely worked, but not been so good, culminating with last year which was the worst show ever.

My thoughts are :

The fertilizer actually helped, despite the "poor soil for wildflower" theory.
The self-seeded stuff overwhelmed the garden in subsequent years before the freshly sown seed had chance to get going
The fallow soil, being freshly dug, was preferred by the seed.

I redig it each year, so there aren't any perennials but it does mean that self seeded and freshly sown seed should get an equal go, since I'm sowing onto bare soil.

This year I think I'll water with a bit of phostrogen or growmore and see what happens, or see if I can find enough compost/manure to cover the ground before I dig it over.

Now having viewed the time-lapse movie, I was rather started by what I saw at around 3m 12s . . . a greater-checked sheddybum!  :swoon: 

Oops!

:-[

Ian

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2015, 10:46:52 PM »

I'm hoping this isn't bad etiquette , but I'm bumping my own thread from June 2012 [!] to announce that my largely-pointless garden webcam is now entirely hosted on a solar-powered Raspberry Pi

http://sheddyian.hopto.org

It used to run on an old laptop running Windows XP and IIS, which consumed around 70 watts of electricity 24/7, so I'm quite pleased to finally move to the solar powered Pi.  The batteries might need an occasional mains top-up, but it's been doing ok so far.

The webcam isn't too exciting this time of year, currently, there's nothing much to see, but I hope to dig it over and plant fresh wildflower seed in a day or two.

Right now as I type this, it's dark, so you will see very little, though I've added a night vision mode to the website which picks out a little more in low light conditions.

Last few years have been poor in the wild-flower garden, hoping for better this year.  Lets see!

Ian

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2015, 07:12:29 AM »

That's very impressive! :)
  Eric

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2015, 12:16:49 PM »

I landed on the static page & thought "how the hell has he got all that growing now?"  ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]