Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Visitors to my garden  (Read 15439 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Visitors to my garden
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 10:54:21 PM »

:doh:  D'oh!  I knew I had forgotten to do something -- eat!

^-^ food -- feed me!

Yes, it's also one of those days in TheCattery:help:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 12:03:18 AM »

hah... Im glad its not just me then.   Best go eat something kitteh kat.  :D

I cant find one of the curtain tie backs.. so curtains back up minus one tie which looks stupid.  Hoping it will turn up when Ive managed to clear some of the mess Ive made today.

Oh well house still looks like a bomb site... but Ive got to be up and out earlyish tomorrow..  so best start thinking about getting ready for bed and try turn a blind eye to all the mess.
G'nite all.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 10:32:30 AM »

Heh gulls are tame friendly creatures compared to Skuas. You're lucky you don't get them this far south.

Skuas quite happily attack gulls, gannets and pretty much anything else that annoys/irritates it or looks like they have a nicer meal. They also fly straight at your head (at high speed) veering to one side at the last second and pecking/clawing as they pass - if you ever get near one of their nests then you are in for an "interesting" experience. Arctic Skuas are scarier (much faster) but Great Skuas do a lot more damage to your skull - http://www.handaskuas.org/gallery/skuas_attack/ :D

Seagulls - pah :P
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:34:42 AM by rizla »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 09:40:16 PM »

Doh just got in and hope id perhaps maybe catch something..   Its still light here.. but your garden is pitch black.

Maybe one day I will be on time to see them
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

sheddyian

• Kitizen
    • My Shed Blog
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 09:53:06 PM »

Doh just got in and hope id perhaps maybe catch something..   Its still light here.. but your garden is pitch black.

Maybe one day I will be on time to see them

It's raining here, and overcast, so seemed darker earlier.  Foxes were about earlier tonight as well, appeared around 7pm, though I didn't feed them until about 8:30pm.  They weren't so visible today, perhaps they don't like the rain either!

There's now a slideshow of their antics from a few nights ago, which is almost as good as watching them live, look for the "slideshow" link on the right hand side of the page.  Might take 10 - 30 seconds to load all the images before the "play" button appears, bear with it.  You should see the old kit it's all running on :)

Ian

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 09:57:59 PM »

>> Seagulls - pah

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression by using the term "sea gull",  the seagulls around here are herring gulls and blackbacks. Over 1/3rd of the total UK population of blackbacks reside within a 10 mile radius of here. :/

Both are massive gulls about twice the size of normal cute seagull, and known for their ferocious nature. we dont have any cute seagulls because these larger and more aggressive gulls have driven them all away. These gull types are scary and they can and do attack people and animals... and they go for the head in exactly the same manner as the skua and they do draw blood.

If youve ever experienced a herring gull attack or you would know just how frightening it is.. and how vicious they are. :'(   They dont just do sole attacks, most often they will send out an call when they launch an attack and within seconds a whole flock of gulls can be attacking a target. :(
Its easy to avoid a skua attack by keeping away from their nest site.  Because herring gulls now nest in residential areas ie house roofs, during fledgling period, its very easy for us to inadvertently wander into their attack zone, so they will attack people just going to their own front doors, or walking down the pavement.

Despite numerous complaints, the council shirks responsibility because the herring gull is now listed as endangered in the UK, but unfortunately for local residents, here they are thriving and live in huge colonies around the port.  There's so many of them that they have now moved to residential areas to build their nests on the roof of chimneys.   This in turn brings them in very close proximity with humans and when the fledglings are young they go into protective mode and will attack anything that comes within a certain distance of the nest.

Around here it has a big impact, kids cant play on a designated council play area.  You cant walk you dog there and my cats knew that it was a no go area.  Im not talking my current cat cause he's a wuss anyhow, but even Chaz who would stand his ground against Alsations knew the gulls were something to be feared... and yes they have even attacked and killed a dog.

During this time of year it disrupts many things.. roofers cant work in the area, postmen refuse to deliver, kids cant play in the street, people are afraid to walk down their drives or go into their gardens.   The guy next door is a big strapping tough guy, but even he ducks when walking down his drive. I've seen some people don hard hats.

They have no fear of size, one gull attacking is bad enough, but once that call goes out to the rest of the flock.. you are in for one hell of a scary time believe me.

Fantastic pic of a herring gull attacking an eagle.. and more info on their aggressive behaviour.

http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2011/11/see-gull-take-on-eagle-in-mid-.html

(pic is true - run though foto forensics and showing edit of the background being cut out and some possible colour balancing/sharpening)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:00:29 PM by kitz »
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 10:05:29 PM »

There's now a slideshow of their antics from a few nights ago, which is almost as good as watching them live, look for the "slideshow" link on the right hand side of the page.  Might take 10 - 30 seconds to load all the images before the "play" button appears, bear with it.  You should see the old kit it's all running on :)

Ian

Oh wow...  thank you...  fantastic pics :D
-----

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 11:44:20 PM »

Fantastic pic of a herring gull attacking an eagle..

That explains how Bald_Eagle1 became bald.  :lol:
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 12:05:12 AM »

Wow, that picture of gull attacking Eagle... I'm tempted to re-use the word 'thug' even at risk of offending Eric.   :P

Seriously, around here it's a common sight to see the rooks, or even just one rook, mobbing a kite and seeing it off.  I used to think the kites were wimps for not fighting back, til somebody explained they've too much to lose from an airborne fight... one bent tail feather and they lose their agility and ability to attack, and hence their families starve.  Not sure if it's true, but theory makes sense.

I do hope Sheddyian doesn't the veering from topic, it's his own fault... the webcamics were so darned good it's got us all thinking :)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 07:50:57 AM »

Not thuggery, fighting off a predator. :oldman:

Birds can be amazingly brave when their territory is invaded by something dangerous to them. I've seen blackbirds do this with cats for example, and it's the cat which ends up accepting defeat. There, I've probably offended cat lovers now. :silly:
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 12:17:14 PM »

Just as it's natural for a primitive species, such as the birds, to use violence to defend their young or when their food chain is threatened, I suppose that I could argue that it's entirely natural, as a species evolves to the point where it has advanced weapons and armaments, to unleash these weapons on things that threaten it (or steal it's ice cream cones).    :graduate:

I must admit, had I had an RPG launcher handy, them 'gulls at Teignmouth might have learned a lesson worth passing on to their offspring   >:D

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 12:39:51 PM »

around here it's a common sight to see the rooks, or even just one rook, mobbing a kite and seeing it off.
What sort of Kite, that sounds a bit odd as most eat mainly carrion?

We have loads of Red Kites around us, but they're mostly scavengers (like vultures really) so at worst they're competing with other scavengers over "dead meat".

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 12:48:27 PM »

around here it's a common sight to see the rooks, or even just one rook, mobbing a kite and seeing it off.
What sort of Kite, that sounds a bit odd as most eat mainly carrion?

We have loads of Red Kites around us, but they're mostly scavengers (like vultures really) so at worst they're competing with other scavengers over "dead meat".

I refer to the common red kites.  I have no idea why the rooks dislike them so, but around here they do, it's a common site.

PS: http://www.flickr.com/photos/debraemm/5817088581/

edit: added PS.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:55:12 PM by sevenlayermuddle »

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 01:38:48 PM »

I'll keep my eyes open then. I can often see a half dozen or more circling high above our garden.

When it's not raining that is.................. :lol:

« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2012, 04:33:37 PM »

We have two pairs of ravens here on the street - along with 2 or 3 pairs of magpies.

One day last month I saw a cat on a lean-to roof looking in the bedroom window of that house - obviously looking to get in. Came back about ten minutes later and a raven was on the roof with the cat, maybe 2 feet away from the cat. I figured the cat had a go at the raven and it couldn't fly.

Couldn't have been more wrong. The raven was moving the cat into the corner bit by bit. When the cat looked reasonably trapped then the second raven came in and they went for the cat. The cat was chased across 3 roofs (jumping the gap between), onto a fence and then eventually hid under a car. The ravens stalked around the car for maybe 15 minutes before flying off.

I wish I'd had something to film/photograph this with. Was very funny and quite odd to watch.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4