Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Master Socket Relocation  (Read 5461 times)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Master Socket Relocation
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:02:32 PM »

A number of years ago when I had two telephone lines in my house, one of the lines terminated in a small upstairs study/bedroom. When I became somewhat independent I no longer needed the two lines because all and sundry had departed, so the downstairs telephone line was disconnected. Because I was using broadband in the upstairs room and spent most of my days there I had a flashy dual socket installed.  Not the OR version but a BT version. Anyway I had visions of not being able to waltz up and down the wooden hill for the rest of my days I asked if the engineer would leave a little spare in the incoming cable. He was very obliging, the pot of tea might have had some influence. Little did I realize he would leave enough to do a return run to the telegraph pole  ???

My question is, Tada, I want the master socket relocating to a downstairs room now , as the days are upon me when the climbing of the stairs needs to be at a minimum.

There is quite sufficient thick black outside cable to do a small run outside the house and back in through the wall to where I want it. I do have a good neighbour willing to drill the wall, as it will require a ladder, and I am more than capable of relocating the socket, I've had great experience in such things. Should I take the bull by the horns and do it or will I have to pay the ones that have more money than I have to come and do the job?
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: Master Socket Relocation
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 04:27:09 PM »

Why not just do it legally?
i.e. Take an extension (using just 2 cores) from the correct terminals on the existing master to a new "main" (extension) socket at a convenient location downstairs.

If you do need/want to run it outside then weatherproof cable would be ideal as you already have some, but I ran lengthy phone extensions routed outside for many years using "internal" cable until the advent of cordless phones allowed me to remove them.

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 05:03:29 PM »

Its the BT ADSL v1.0 faceplate I bet, when engineer-install was compulsory for ADSL.

It was very common for BT engineers to run an extension back from the filtered side to what was previously the master socket (engineer-install allowed for a move due to froggie) via the same 4-wire cable

If that wiring is still in place then you probably don't need to drill anything. You may just need to change the pairs around and fit a filter/faceplate to the old master.

You aren't allowed to do this BTW, but I guess you know that anything past NTE costs money.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »

I think we need to know exactly what a "flashy dual socket" is.....

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:24:24 PM »

I think we need to know exactly what a "flashy dual socket" is.....

Indeed. I bet it says ADSL v1.0 on it ;)

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 06:12:08 PM »

No problem.
I don't think that version has unfiltered outlets on the back though so will in all likelihood become redundant.

I would:
1. Put back the "standard" lower (flush) telephone faceplate.
2. Run an extension (NO bell wire) from that to the required location (100% legal).
3. Install a suitable socket at that location. (see below)

Telephone extension sockets are typically smaller than the master (NTE5A) but it is easy to acquire suitable filtered faceplates for them.
e.g. http://www.adslnation.com/products/xtf.php available in either common size  ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 06:47:35 PM »

I think that it will come as no surprise as to what b*cat would do . . . the same as Walter:D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 07:12:32 PM »

Thanks for the replies and cautions of course.

The roll your own guy has it spot on
Its the BT ADSL v1.0 faceplate I bet, when engineer-install was compulsory for ADSL.

I do realize about doing this internally, in fact I have rather long shielded adsl lead somewhere that I used a while back, but since then I have done a lot of decorating and didn't want to start running things all over the place.

The only reason I thought of running the cable outside is because there is quit a long length which at the moment is in a loose roll, not a tight coil as it was left. Thinking it might act as an Ariel or something.

I think I get the picture b*cat.

If you hear of someone taking a telephone exchange down, it wasn't me honest guv. ;D
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 07:39:36 PM »

I think I get the picture b*cat.

If you hear of someone taking a telephone exchange down, it wasn't me honest guv. ;D

If you want a job doing just purrfect . . .  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 06:56:16 PM »

No problem.
I don't think that version has unfiltered outlets on the back though so will in all likelihood become redundant.

It doesn't, but is frequently backwired via the cabling to where the old master used to be (and in fact usually still is - NTE5 I mean). Hence the suggestion to swap the wires over.

anything