Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: E-Side Pressure (how does it work?)  (Read 16201 times)

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: E-Side Pressure (how does it work?)
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 10:51:31 PM »

you would have thought in this day & age their would be something better, cheaper and less work than pressurizing air down the cables to keep 'HALF' (up to PCP) the phone lines dry hehe...A-mazing!

I believe that air pressure isnt the only method in use..   but I do seem to recall being told that sometime in the dim and distant past it was a major undertaking for BT to update + pressurise all the e-side cables.   Many of these cables had been in the ground since the year dot so it was no easy feat for BT to protect all the e-side cables.  I also recall the engineer mentioning that e-sides are seldom, if ever touched.  It was probably the best method available at the time, and newer methods used as and when.

-------

Added

I tried to do a quick google to see if I could find out which year BT started pressurising the e-sides..  I didnt find a date..  but I did find this which discusses the local loop and cost of upgrading it which you may get some interesting snippets from.

In it theres a lil bit of info about the cables... unfortunately I dont seem to be able to copy the text but look at the end of page 10 and you will see that it states there are also some esides which are gel filled.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2012, 11:36:39 PM »

wicked find there kitz!! :)

hey, just thought...FTTC, will that remove the need for these compressed air cables?, is the copper replaced with fibre or is it an add-in?
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2012, 11:39:53 PM »

Allow me to perform the copy/paste of that section of text . . .

Each PCP is served from the exchange by large cables, typically 500 or 1000 or more
copper pairs. These cables sometimes use pressurised air (supplied at the exchange) as a
means of keeping the cables dry, though there are a variety of alternative technologies too
(e.g. gel-filled cables); pressurised air cables are the option we have costed. These E-side
cables are laid in the E-side duct.

This architecture is illustrated in Exhibit 2.1 below, which shows examples of the cable,
joints, and duct provided.

:)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2012, 11:43:28 PM »

hey, just thought...FTTC, will that remove the need for these compressed air cables?, is the copper replaced with fibre or is it an add-in?

:no:  No, with FTTC both the D-side & E-side cables are used for telephony and the D-side & FO cables are used for the Internet access.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2012, 11:45:33 PM »

haha i was gunna post a screenshot of that diagram...you beat me to it!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »

haha i was gunna post a screenshot of that diagram...you beat me to it!

Meow!  :P

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 08:36:05 PM »

Don't know why, but have only just spotted this thread ???

I think over the course of the input here, you've more or less covered it. Just my own thoughts though ......... Equipment Cable Pressure (ECP) racks are designed to pressurise the E-side cables to the Cabinet only. If the Exchange area doesn't have any cabinets, then there will still be a certain section of cable leaving the Exchange that will still be under pressure, and where this then connects to what I'll call the D-side cables, there will be an 'Air block' fitted.

D-side cables are not 'under pressure' (unlike the engineering fraternity  ;)), but are grease filled to keep out moisture as much as possible.

The actual compressor can be fitted anywhere within the Exchange, but the read-out dials will be in an equipment room in order to be easily read. The compressors generally have two 'beds', so that whilst one is drying the other is dormant. When they change over 'beds' you know about it, as it's like being stood next to an Articulated Tractor Unit when he applies his air-brakes ....... loud !!!!

I think it was Kitz who mentioned a dark dingy room underneath the Exchange ?? This is called the Cable Chamber and is where all the cables entering the Exchange are neatly formed and presented onto the Main Distribution Frame (MDF) in a neat and orederly fashion. You can imagine how many cables enter our Exchanges, even the smaller ones.

Somebody else commented about pressure gauges in Cabinets (c6em I think ?), which was true. Part of our undertakings when working in a Cabinet, was to view the gauges and report them to the 'Pressure gang' if they were low. They should 'alarm' automatically but hey !! Nowadays they've been replaced by some yellow sealed boxes that I can only assume are telemetry-style devices?? I've no idea how they work or if my observations are correct.

Finally, B*Cat, your memory is damned impressive pal !! You're correct about my dealings with a re-sited ECP rack and the subsequent disaster that ensued. Not my finest hour I can assure you.  :-[

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 11:46:34 PM »

Finally, B*Cat, your memory is damned impressive pal !! You're correct about my dealings with a re-sited ECP rack and the subsequent disaster that ensued. Not my finest hour I can assure you.  :-[

Wasn't your supervising TO deemed to be responsible for that mishap?  ???

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 07:21:26 AM »

He was the one held responsible, as it was deemed he should have been supervising us plebs better. But it was carelessness on us T2B's behalf that the incident occured. Should have covered the Wet Lead Acid cells with cardboard, and that would have prevented the accident. One surely does liveth and learneth. :-[

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 10:35:20 AM »

For any easily confused, this is a pressurised duck

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 11:11:18 PM »

Don't know why, but have only just spotted this thread ???

I think over the course of the input here, you've more or less covered it. Just my own thoughts though ......... Equipment Cable Pressure (ECP) racks are designed to pressurise the E-side cables to the Cabinet only. If the Exchange area doesn't have any cabinets, then there will still be a certain section of cable leaving the Exchange that will still be under pressure, and where this then connects to what I'll call the D-side cables, there will be an 'Air block' fitted.

D-side cables are not 'under pressure' (unlike the engineering fraternity  ;)), but are grease filled to keep out moisture as much as possible.

The actual compressor can be fitted anywhere within the Exchange, but the read-out dials will be in an equipment room in order to be easily read. The compressors generally have two 'beds', so that whilst one is drying the other is dormant. When they change over 'beds' you know about it, as it's like being stood next to an Articulated Tractor Unit when he applies his air-brakes ....... loud !!!!

I think it was Kitz who mentioned a dark dingy room underneath the Exchange ?? This is called the Cable Chamber and is where all the cables entering the Exchange are neatly formed and presented onto the Main Distribution Frame (MDF) in a neat and orederly fashion. You can imagine how many cables enter our Exchanges, even the smaller ones.

Somebody else commented about pressure gauges in Cabinets (c6em I think ?), which was true. Part of our undertakings when working in a Cabinet, was to view the gauges and report them to the 'Pressure gang' if they were low. They should 'alarm' automatically but hey !! Nowadays they've been replaced by some yellow sealed boxes that I can only assume are telemetry-style devices?? I've no idea how they work or if my observations are correct.

thanks for the insight BS, mucho appreciated :)
Pages: 1 [2]