Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: E-Side Pressure (how does it work?)  (Read 16202 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
E-Side Pressure (how does it work?)
« on: June 25, 2012, 12:11:36 PM »

I wondered if anyone could/would offer up some explanation as to how the E-Side wiring works, I recall BS saying something along the lines about them being kept under vast amounts of water...my memory is vague and I cant find the post, but I found this image someone took of the E-Side Pressure Gauges

hopefully my main man BS will explain when he is not busy :)

thanks
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

c6em

• Reg Member
Re: E-Side Pressure (how does it work?)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 12:47:13 PM »

As I understand it
They are pressurised under air pressure (?9 lbs/sq inch?)
Helps keep out moisture from getting into the cable and will act as advance warning of impending failure if the normal leak rate suddenly increases substantially.

More than that I know nothing - we await BS to add to our knowledge.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »

thanks c6em - so they are pressurized in the exchange?
what about the e-side along to the cab? surely that can get 'moist'...?

guess we will have to wait for BS to shed some light on it

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 02:22:23 PM »

argh.. just lost my long post whilst trying to insert an ascii char and ended up using the back key instead  :-X  :(
Starts again, but doubts it will be as long.

>>>> Helps keep out moisture from getting into the cable and will act as advance warning of impending failure if the normal leak rate suddenly increases substantially.

Thats my understanding too.

>>> so they are pressurized in the exchange?

I believe so, its a while since I was in the exchange and my memory is hazy on this as I was more interested in the stuff like MSANs...  but the cables were pressurised in a dark and dingy dungeon underneath the exchange by a large compressor.   TBH its not somewhere to loiter and I seem to recall the engineer saying something about Health and Safety due to the air/gas condition so we only got the briefest of peaks.

>>> what about the e-side along to the cab?

They are pressurised by the equipment in the exchange..  and although the compressor was located in the basement, the monitor dials were in a more easily accessible location, so that any problems could easily be spotted.. ie loss of pressure indicating damage to the cable.

cab <-> e-side cable < -> dungeon where the e-sides are pressurised < -> MDF
                                     ↓                      ↓                             ↓  < - > Pressure gauges for monitoring purposes.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 03:06:49 PM »

oh - just found this which helps explain it

http://www.airtalk.com/primer2.html

The cable, although filled with individual conductors and associated insulation, is much like a long garden hose carrying air pressure instead of water. The pressure comes from a mechanical air compressor and dryer, located somewhere near the telephone company cable vault. The compressor supplies the air at approximately 10 PSI, while the dryer removes the residual moisture. Essentially, this means that air with very low humidity is forced into the cables.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:26:35 PM »

It also means the E-side must be terminated in some 'proper manner' in the PCP with sealing glands at the end to achieve as best as possible air tight seal. 
I have hazy recollections something about some PCP's having air pressure guages in them to enable BT engineers to observe the pressure in the E-sides that terminate at that cabinet.

In the exchange as well as the pressurisation connection/sealing gland gubbins on the cable whatever there must be some sort of 'splitter plates' where the 100's of lines in a single E-side cable are progressively split down off the cable into the sub groups of ?25? which are then taken off and further split down before going off to the terminations and spares for future use.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:22:17 PM »

so the cable with the pairs in all the way up to the cab is full of pressurized air?  eeh well I never!!!

coolsnakeman

• Reg Member
    • IT Support Belfast
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 04:27:46 PM »

That looks like a picture from telephone house in belfast lol

Gary

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »

Yes, the E-side cables are pressurised from the exchange all the way to each PCP. I am not sure if every PCP will have a pressure gauge fitted to each E-side cable that terminates there but certainly some PCPs, into which I've looked, have had one or two pressure gauges.

I seem to recall Black Sheep (under his previous ID of razpag) posting the story of how he was a member of a building maintenance team who were responsible for inadvertently taking an entire telephone exchange off the network!  ::)  They were tasked with running a new copper supply pipe from the air-compressors to the ECP rack and somehow managed to short-circuit the exchange 50 V battery of lead-acid cells, resulting in a bright flash, a loud bang and a totally inactive, silent Strowger exchange.

Ah, I've just found the relevant story. It appears part-way through relatively short thread [1] that had been started by Walter.

[1] http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,9499.msg193292
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 05:42:28 PM by burakkucat »
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 05:38:58 PM »

so the cable with the pairs in all the way up to the cab is full of pressurized air?  eeh well I never!!!

How do you think telephones (never mind ADSL) keep working when the drains flood? ;)

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 05:31:48 PM »

How do you think telephones (never mind ADSL) keep working when the drains flood? ;)

@ B'kat - hahaha

seems a bit of an old 'odd' way to ensure cracks in cable sheath dont get worse and keep water out, isnt there some new super strong, super water-tight compound they can use to sheath the cable in..?  also... what about the cables from PCP to Ducts and from there to JB's..? seems like "half-a-job" or is a duct also pressurized? theres a good 200m run from the duct to the PCP Iam connected too

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 05:33:31 PM »

There is one rule with water snadge and one rule only.

IT ALWAYS WINS.

:)

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 06:23:39 PM »

I've also heard that any duct eventually fills with water.

The positive pressure differential to prevent leakage is used in all sorts of applications as well as cables.
A typical  example would be hazardeous process of some form where leakage to the outside environment is not allowed under any circumstances and the process is carried out in a sealed cell.  So the inside of the process area is kept at a lower pressure than atmospheric and entry/exit controlled by an air lock.  This ensures than any air leakage through any joint is always inwards and not outwards, so no contaminated internal air can ever leak out.
Typical applications are radioactive work and medical/virus research. 
You want the opposite in a computer chip assembly clean room environment where the air inside has been highly filtered to ensure it is totally dust etc free.  In this case the air pressure in the clean room needs to be higher than external to ensure that no external dirty air can get in but you are no so bothered about the clean air leaking out.

Trying to pressurise a D side set would be too complex.
You would need to run a totally seperate large air line out to each PCP from the exchange to supply the D sides.
There would have to be lots of glands/sealing stuff at the PCP to connect everything up.  A PCP may have only have a couple of E sides but lots and lots of D sides.
the D sides have multiple sequential joints in them at each junction box/D.Point....how to seal each of these joints..and continue the air path across the joint. The whole thing would leak like a sieve.
All very messy and complex and taking up a lot of space.
Can you imagine mending a fault - you would need to depressurise the D side,mend the fault at the joint box then try and get a re-seal pressure to hold. You'd be there all day+.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2012, 07:16:42 PM »

Snadge -- I've just hunted through a collection of pictures that Walter has kindly provided (over numerous months) and have found a nice example of a PCP with multiple E-side pressure gauges. (If you are really interested, it is PCP number 86 of the Chilworth, Surrey, exchange!)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 09:38:37 PM »

@ c6em - thanks for the explanation - appreciated, I see your point, you would have thought in this day & age their would be something better, cheaper and less work than pressurizing air down the cables to keep 'HALF' (up to PCP) the phone lines dry hehe...A-mazing!

@ B'Kat - thanks for trawling out the pic... aye i see, hey amazing like...
Pages: [1] 2