Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: FTTC Cab checker  (Read 5786 times)

snadge

• Kitizen
FTTC Cab checker
« on: June 27, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »

http://fttc-check.alc.im/

I found this on PC Pro - it apparently tells you if and when your local cab is being upgraded to FTTC, I dont have FTTC in my exchange so cant verify if it works
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: FTTC Cab checker
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:32:00 AM »

It works! ;)

According to Sam Knows he knows that the service should be available from 30th June. Approx.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 11:35:34 AM »

SamKnows? according to the source it uses the BT google doc thats doing the rounds that has dates for cab upgrades etc ...?

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »

I believe it uses a leaked confidential BT spreadsheet showing details about which post codes are fed from which cabinets. It only covers those areas which have been announced for FTTC upgrades.
Some postcodes are obviously fed from two cabinets.
The data on this spreadsheet is anyway around 6 months+ out of date...unless a newer version has been likewise leaked.
I would suspect BT will reduce the ciruclation list of any futher editions of the document to reduce further leaks of it.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »

@ c6em - that is correct :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 12:29:34 PM »

I was always told that Sam knows all there is to know about these things. ;)
Anyway the link that Snadge gave us confirmed the cab number that I am connected to.
One of them green cabinets sprung up near my house not long ago, highly unusual but I saw some workers working on and around said cabinet. With three OR vans in support. No doubt one would be the canteen.  >:D
I thinks to myself  :hmm: something is happening here.

All in all putting the link with what Sam thinks he knows, well he may know after all.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 02:39:40 PM »

I was thinking about coding something from the leaked csv..  but theres so many exchanges not covered and since its last dec, I wasnt sure how useful it would be for the work involved.   If I had one for all exchanges..  now that could be interesting and could perhaps be integrated with the adslchecker.

Because of the widespread mention of it across lots of sites, I doubt BT will let anything with all info get into our mits again.. its harder to get a few things now from the BTw site:/
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 03:12:28 PM »

I note our exchange is now on the "to-do" list for 2013.

BT enabled the "next-door" exchange which I found interesting as the vast majority of the lines served by that exchange are to a sink council estate (New Parks if anyone knows Leicester).

Half of the lines from our exchange serve the worst area of that sink estate (Aikman Avenue etc) and the other half go to county residents who don't live in social housing. From that I reckon Sky are the prime drivers for provisioning those areas (Leics city council provide communal Sky feeds, which were apparently subsidised until recently).

I don't give much for the chances of cabinets in those areas though, lost count of how many times I saw NTL/Virgin Scientific Atlanta kit strewn over the pavements.

I can see from the other newly announced Leics exchanges that there must be a major price cut or something coming in 2013 as the areas concerned are hardly "salubrious". They are places where most people don't have a work visa for the UK and nobody speaks anything but Urdu/Hindi - I guess saying that "out loud" probably marks me down as a "racist". If so then so be it, however its the truth in Leicester anyway.

tl;dr - there's some sort of change in service/price coming in 2013 for FTTC/FTTP (my bet is self-install and a big drop in base price/introduction of traffic-based charging). Even with BTs lunatic purchase of EPL games (likely to lose them £250m/year) enabling some of these exchanges makes no sense, nor are they part funded by taxpayers via whatever lunatic scheme the govt of the day has going.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 03:17:40 PM by rizla »

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 03:16:58 PM »

You don't suppose they let it slip on purpose then? ::)

If they can keep secrets better than the Govt departments then they stand a chance. ;D

I'm sure some-one will help you out Kitz.