Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: TV Aerial Sockets  (Read 3031 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
TV Aerial Sockets
« on: June 20, 2012, 11:10:04 AM »

TV Aerial Sockets .

I my new hobby room I would like to have more than one TV aerial outlets, From an old post I put on here I know I wired the others in the house wrong (Some rooms I put one cable from the pre-amp and three aerial sockets in parallel).

Whats the best way to have more than one outlet ? (Only one will be use at a time, its so can move the tv without a long aerial lead  :'()
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: TV Aerial Sockets
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 11:45:16 AM »

Ideally you would use a distribution amplifier, but if you're only ever going to have one socket used at a time, then you might as well just daisy-chain them.
  Eric

tonyappuk

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 12:14:30 PM »

If you have plenty of signal a resistive splitter (or two) would probably do the job otherwise you would need an active distribution/pre-amp to provide isolation. This last is the optimum solution. I would go with a long lead to one socket. If the runs between the sockets approaches a multiple of a 1/4 wavelength at the operating frequency you will probably lose some channels if you wire in parallel. You could use double sockets and bridge between the unused sockets with a short coax link leaving the last socket in the chain unconnected. Then make sure all the unused sockets are bridged. I tried to make a drawing but failed miserably. If I've not been clear above I'll try again.
PS As usual Roseway has been far more succinct but I'll leave my post to emphasise the need to bridge the unused sockets.
Tony

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »

Now that analogue is pretty much switched off the increased digital signal (DVB-T) is probably overloading a lot of set-top boxes. Lots of people got huge aerials and/or "signal boosters" which are now probably doing more harm than good.

Get a cheap aerial splitter (its just an adaptor shaped like a Y) from B&Q/wherever and put a receiver on each output. See what it's like and then decide the best route. Should cost you pennies to test out.

Edit - if you put multiple sockets in then sooner or later you'll find a "reason" to use them. That's my experience with sockets of all sorts. Also it'll be a pain for whoever lives in the house next as they will assume you can use both sockets simultaneously.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 01:37:31 PM by rizla »

anything