Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bad hair days for BT - Major outages  (Read 5610 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Bad hair days for BT - Major outages
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:03:56 PM »

My broadband service (Infinity) was unavailable from around midday yesterday to approx 9 pm. Major outage which affected London and the South East - according to BT my exchange was not impacted, but it palpably was. 

The outage across London and the SE has recurred today 11:00 am and as at the time of writing is reported by BT as being "ongoing".  Luckily my Infinity service has just come back on line but I'm aware of others who are not yet so fortunate.

BT had a number of major broadband failures (some of which were protracted) across the whole country yesterday, and some of them are persisting today. 

I cannot find out the cause of these outages - BT just say "equipment failure"  but I find it odd that the outages are so widespread nationally and also so protracted.

Anybody have any further information?

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Re: Bad hair days for BT - Major outages
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »

Thats very interesting UncleUB, but I'm talking about complete loss of service rather than slow speeds.

http://www.computerweekly.com/news/2240158456/BT-suffers-broadband-outages-thanks-to-equipment-failures

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 11:24:49 PM »

i saw several SS reports, but nothing that actually explained what the problem was.... nor if they were even related.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 05:26:42 PM »

The Faraday "failure" seems to be having an impact on Sky customers in Kent (forum moans are through the roof) so it'll be interesting to see what that was. Sky had a "major" BB issue listed yesterday at 07:20, no longer listed but still causing problems it appears.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 11:14:37 PM »

Seems like the the Faraday incident was unrelated to the others (equipment failure at Sheffield).

Still no hard facts as to the cause of the Faraday outage other than it appears to have been an edge router according to this..
erm redundancy??
http://status.aa.net.uk/apost.cgi?incident=1551

Details
Thursday 16:08:17    

Multiple 21CN lines dropped sync at around 10:55 this morning BT are still trying to to track down the issue.
View this post only >>
Update
Thursday 16:33:24    

Investigations are focussing on BRAS and SVLANS associated with Faraday. Support teams are currently working through multiple network elements to restore service.
Update
Thursday 20:43:59    

Update from BT at 18:30:

Service being re-routed for 33 vlans. 4 completed at this time. Each vlan carries a maximum of 1000 end users.
Update
Thursday 22:08:07    

Latest from BT:

Support teams have applied a fix to the network equipment and we are now able to confirm that full broadband services have been restored to all of our customers. Extensive monitoring will continue and this is to ensure stability of the service.
Update
Yesterday 10:14:43    

Loss of internet services for 8773 Broadband end users. Service fully restored at 04:40 after equipment restored at Faraday
Closed
Yesterday 10:13:35    

Service restored to EDGE ROUTE SWITCH
Cause    BT
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker