Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: would BT Replace 1Km of alu with copper cos 17Mbps wasnt enough???  (Read 17105 times)

snadge

• Kitizen

I couldnt believe what I read and wanted to see if it could be true....

this person on Sky Forums MOANED that he had ALU on his line that caused his FTTC to run at 17Mbps...  after dis-aggreeing with members he came back 1 month later to say that BT/SKY replaced over 1Km of Alu cable with Copper just because he wasnt happy with 17Mbps and he now gets 31Mbps..he tells the rest of the threads posters to "blow it out their pants" for telling him there was nothing he could do...

i think he is talking rubbish... is he?

http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Fibre-Unlimited/Aluminium-cables/m-p/423771/message-uid/423771#U423771

I said:

i find it staggeringly hard to believe that BTo or Sky would absorb the cost of replacing 1Km of Aluminium cable with Copper just because you were getting 17Mbps speeds and weren't happy - they MAY only do so if you had said speeds previously and can show/prove/convince them a fault has caused it too lower...

there is no way BTo would do that when your getting 17Mbps...

"we do NOT guarantee speeds over the network" - is a BT Openreach (LL14) Broadband Engineer's favourite qoute! and theres no way a BTo Manager/Supervisor would OK that kind of work for 1 customer (unless sky said they would foot the entire bill, which i dont think they did)

Anyone else care to comment on this....lol... I may point some BTo engineers to this comment and see what they have too say...

I mean if Iam wrong then great!! but I just find it hard to believe...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:03:00 AM by snadge »
Aquiss - 900/110/16ms - TP-Link AR73

c6em

• Reg Member
Re: would BT Replace 1Km of alu with copper cos 17Mbps wasnt enough???
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 09:37:34 AM »

Sounds like a clearly worded email to sky is needed by a sky subscriber requesting:

1. Clarification as to whether or not this occured or whether only parts were done.
2. If so, the circumstances that led to the decision and the criterion that deemed replacement was required.
3. Who paid for it.

Making clear that the email is a formal request - and not a rant.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:07 PM »

thanks c6em for your reply

it could well be the newer copper was already there and he hadnt been put onto it... but now he has (Pair Swap)..

his words were "they ripped out the old alu and replaced it with over 1Km of copper wire" lol... hey I may be wrong but its kinda hard to believe they would do that cos he was getting 17Mbps on FTTC 40Mbps product

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 02:45:04 AM »

I certainly can't see that happening, especially the way it has been worded.  :no:

I notice a slight whiff of male bovine excrement in the air!  :-X
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 12:11:00 PM »

me too... poo it smells!!!  (watch him totally prove me wrong here lol)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 01:44:30 PM »

me too... poo it smells!!!  (watch him totally prove me wrong here lol)

In the incredibly unlikely event that he does prove you wrong, please forward his contact details to me.
He could act as my agent in getting my "up to" 1km line completely replaced with shiny new copper cabling.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 01:51:59 PM »

There is a chance it was a d-side swap.

That would be my guess.   BT ripping out alu and replacing 1km in just a few weeks seems highly unlikely on the back of one complaint. 

It took them years (iirc about 4) to plan and replace about a 1km stretch of alu near here so that a large size housing estate could just get adsl1, nvm a speed increase.  Depends on exact location but ripping out alu can often involve road works.. and even local council planning permission..  which increases delay.*  But most alu replacements Ive heard of seem to take a long time - how many estates around the UK had to wait years for something to happen.. and how many are still waiting?
Perhaps BlackSheep could comment.

*Which I believe was the case around here because both B'pl BC and B'pl Transport had their say in it too.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 02:19:33 PM »

There is a chance it was a d-side swap.

That would be my guess.   BT ripping out alu and replacing 1km in just a few weeks seems highly unlikely on the back of one complaint. 

It took them years (iirc about 4) to plan and replace about a 1km stretch of alu near here so that a large size housing estate could just get adsl1, nvm a speed increase.  Depends on exact location but ripping out alu can often involve road works.. and even local council planning permission..  which increases delay.*  But most alu replacements Ive heard of seem to take a long time - how many estates around the UK had to wait years for something to happen.. and how many are still waiting?
Perhaps BlackSheep could comment.

*Which I believe was the case around here because both B'pl BC and B'pl Transport had their say in it too.

Just for Kitz, as I was keeping out of this one due to the ambiguity of the claim, and I have too much to do to be bothered to read the link that snadge has supplied.

In a nutshell, I'd be absolutely gob-smacked if OR (can't comment as to whether SKY have contributed or not ??), would replace 1Km of any type of cable, regardless of numbers of complainants.

Our planning department are so restricted in what they can and cant allow, it's unbelievable !! We have to beg, borrow and steal in order to get a simple 33mtr length of 5-pr cable supplied as a 'Garden-leader' (IE- from nearest underground box to EU's premises), when the original cable has gone faulty.

We do have a FVR programme (Fault Volume Reduction) running, that has a few hundred grand as a budget. But, there is extreme ammounts of analysis carried out before any money is alloted. It usually entails a historically high fault volume 100-pr cable node leaving a cabinet, feeding 'x' ammount of DP's. The FVR lads will 'walk the node' (lift every single UG box lid) and get to the crux  of which section of cable is faulty (ie: from box to box) and then put in new cable.

There is no way IMHO that one whole kilometre of cable has been replaced, more-so on a single 'low speed complaint'. But even if the entire ammount of EU's, who's circuit was in the said cable complained, they'd only replace the faulty section ...... ie: box to box.

HTH.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 02:39:57 PM »

Thanks BS.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

snadge

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 06:40:38 PM »

thanks BS.... much appreciated!!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 11:51:30 PM »

He could act as my agent in getting my "up to" 1km line completely replaced with shiny new copper cabling.

Copper? No, you need 1 mm diameter silver, in one contiguous length, from your NTE5/A to the FFTC DSLAM;D
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 06:36:37 AM »

Copper? No, you need 1 mm diameter silver, in one contiguous length, from your NTE5/A to the FFTC DSLAM;D

Cheers b*cat.

I'll have a word with Alex at Plusnet  :lol:

If I ever move house, I wonder which order these would be in:-

Location, location, FTTC cabinet location.

renluop

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 06:51:13 AM »

Perhaps BB in all aspects should be included in "enquiries before contract". Lawyers would love the litigation prospects.  >:D ::)

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 09:02:03 AM »

You may joke but BB status is already starting to emerge as a selling/renting issue - particularly where a property cannot get access to broadband at all.

As regards the silver - is not silver used albeit a few microns thick as a coating conductor around a cheaper core on ultra high frequency applications?  The 'skin effect' at these ultra frequencies means that the current only flows in the outer few microns of any conductor anyway and not throughout the entire core area.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 09:31:14 AM »

I believe that to be true also c6em. In laymans terms, DSL (Broadband) frequencies only use the outer layer of the conductor.
Pages: [1] 2

anything