Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Will a 3rd party router work on TalkTalk FTTC?  (Read 4472 times)

yorkie98

• Just arrived
Will a 3rd party router work on TalkTalk FTTC?
« on: June 19, 2012, 02:40:09 PM »

Hi,
I'm due to have TalkTalk Fibre2 installed in 2 days, I have been sent a Huawei Echolife HG532 which appears to be an ADSL modem/router (which seems a little pointless). I gather that BT will come and fit me a modem, (either a Huawei or ECI) and this router connects to the modem and it works fine. Don't get me started at how I NEED all 4 ports on the router, thats another issue..
I do however have an old Linksys WRT54GS which I'm considering flashing with either Tomato or DD-WRT.
Will this router work in place of the supplied router or will there be config needed (assuming the Linksys is on defaults)?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Will a 3rd party router work on TalkTalk FTTC?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »

Yes, any normal router will work, but not all modem/routers (only those which have a designated port for connecting to a modem).
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:39 PM »

I have been sent a Huawei Echolife HG532 which appears to be an ADSL modem/router (which seems a little pointless).

Or maybe not. As I don't know the HG532, I'll just ask if it has an RJ-11 socket for an xDSL connection and an RJ-45 socket for the Ethernet WAN connection?  :-\

For example, the current BT HomeHub or BT BusinessHub both have the means of connection either via xDSL or Ethernet (the former being to a telephone line, the latter to a separate modem).

Essentially, what you will be doing is using a "cable" router. You will need to configure the router to establish a PPPoE session, using the credentials from the HG532 (login and password).
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »

I have been sent a Huawei Echolife HG532 which appears to be an ADSL modem/router (which seems a little pointless).

Or maybe not. As I don't know the HG532, I'll just ask if it has an RJ-11 socket for an xDSL connection and an RJ-45 socket for the Ethernet WAN connection?  :-\

FWIW, I believe BlackEagle uses or used a HG532 on his FTTC connection:-

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,10968.msg214823.html#msg214823

yorkie98

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 10:16:14 PM »

There is a normal RJ11 ADSL port and four Lan ports. None are marked Modem or WAN but looking elsewhere, it appears that the xDSL stats will just all sit at 0 but one (or maybe all) of the Lan ports can work as a WAN port. I have also read reports that this router is not at all good.
I suspect the Linksys will be getting dusted off on Thursday afternoon..

Now where do I get a copy of the English translation of the Dual Wan version of Tomato?? This file is extremely elusive.

anything