Computer Software > Security

WARNING - Very convincing PayPal phishing scam

(1/4) > >>

kitz:
I dont normally warn about these because most of the time they are obvious if you use a bit of nouse or phising filters will pick them up.
However Ive just received what is the most convincing phising scam that I have ever seen so far.

Anyone with a paypay account may know that to login you use the url www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=login

This particular scam sends you to www.paypal.com.cmd-login.com/cgi-bin/

Once there you see a practical replica of the real PayPal site.  All the images and links are either hosted on or will take you to the real paypal site - aside from that one log-in button.

The trick theyve used for this is to purchase the domain cmd-login.com and then hosted it on a server in Bulgaria to make it difficult to get the site taken down.

Looking at both sites side by side I cant tell which is which...  unless you are astute enough to notice the real domain and not be fooled by the www.paypal.com which in this case is a subdomain not the real paypal.com.

Copy of the Mail

--- Quote ---

This email confirms that Andrew Jackson has sent you 85.00 EUR with PayPal.

To complete this payment, you must accept or refuse it within 30 days by clicking here.

If you do not accept or refuse this payment within 30 days, it will be cancelled and the funds will be returned to Andrew Jackson's account.

-----------------------------------
Payment Details
-----------------------------------

Amount: 85.00 EUR

Transaction ID: 9D373306GD4453236

View the details of this transaction online

This payment is pending because it was sent in a currency in which you do not currently hold a balance.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal Team

----------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright © 1999-2007 PayPal. All rights reserved. PayPal (Europe) Limited is authorised and regulated
by the Financial Services Authority in the United Kingdom as an electronic money institution. PayPal FSA Register Number: 226056.
PayPal Email ID PP2765

--- End quote ---

[edited to make sure the urls didnt accidentally take someone where they may not want to go]

kitz:
and just as I typed that out -
I received the exact same mail to another mailbox I have. :/

Astral:
Thanks for the warning. :)

I have to say that my spam seems to have diminished lately but I expect having said that out loud I'll be deluged! :no:

kitz:
I got 5 in the end on different accounts.
However Ive just noticed that the site it sent you to is now either busy - or its been pulled.

Hopefully its the later rather than the former.

roseway:
Thanks for the warning. These things are evil, and will take in a lot of people.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version