Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: MAC Advice  (Read 25136 times)

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
MAC Advice
« on: June 17, 2012, 07:53:30 AM »

Hi all.

My O2 contract with O2 LLU expires 18th July and I am leaving to go with a Digital Region isp who can offer me FTTC.When would be the best/correct time to acquire a MAC from O2.
I pay my line rental to BT by the way.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
Re: MAC Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »

Hi UncleUB, no doubt the best person(s) to answer would be one of the isp reps that frequent the forums. However I would suggest request the MAC 18th July. Just be aware that some ISP's renew your contract automatically, O2 is not one of them in my experience.
My contract expired in May 2010 and as at this moment I don't have a contract with them.
As far as I remember one has to use the MAC in ten days of acquiring it, at least it was the last time I got one.
I would say do not request the MAC before the end of the contract as they may try and get some money out of you for doing so.

Good Luck.
Colin II : It's no good being a pessimist, it wouldn't work anyway.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 09:28:08 AM »

As far as I remember one has to use the MAC in ten days of acquiring it,

I think it is 30 days now... ???

I also think (although could be wrong) O2 want their router back or they will charge you.  ???

And according to this thread they will charge you if you use the supplied MAC code within 7 days of issuing it  ???

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/o2/4100876-o2-mac-code.html

Looks like it is better to wait until your contract has expired... :hmm:

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 10:27:30 AM »

11 July.......then give the MAC to the new ISP on 18 July.

This will keep you in compliance with the 7 days notice period for O2 contracts. When O2 give you the MAC, they will tell you not to use it for 7 days.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »

Thanks Oranged  :)

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 11:10:56 AM »

How times have changed :o
If I may just elbow my way in a little bit please?

How would I go on, seeing as I don't have a contract?
Thank you in advance.

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 01:08:07 PM »

Just been reading all about it on the tbb forum where it seems a number of familiar names seem to hang out.
Question has been answered.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 04:15:08 PM »

Just been reading all about it on the tbb forum where it seems a number of familiar names seem to hang out.
And what a shady bunch of characters they look  :D

silversurfer44

• Kitizen
  • Lord Muck
    • Ben Novice Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »

And some of them get all over the place. I bumped into one in the Squatters Arms not long ago. ;D

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 04:48:35 PM »

And some of them get all over the place. I bumped into one in the Squatters Arms not long ago. ;D

;)

Didn't know you used that den of iniquity Colin  :D

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »

My question is: Can they legally charge you? and then, Should they charge you if you use your MAC within 7days?
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.

UncleUB

• Helpful
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »

My question is: Can they legally charge you? and then, Should they charge you if you use your MAC within 7days?

Hi Azzaka.......I haven't a clue tbh.Its something I haven't heard before.  :shrug2:

bbnovice

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 08:53:59 PM »

I went through all this when I migrated from Virgin ADSL to BT FTTC. Virgin gave me nothing but grief and tried (but failed) to charge me but they are NOT allowed to do this according to OFCOM. The latest OFCOM rules are shown below (see site maccode.org.uk for further details). But do not confuse the issue of issuing a MAC with the notice period that your current ISP may be entitled to. They are totally different issues and involve seperate financial obligations.

New Rules by Ofcom on switching

With the introduction of new rules, OFCOM has curtailed the rogue practices by some ISPs who effectively prevented customers from migrating to new ISPs by not issuing MAC code. The following are the salient points of the new rules:

1 The existing broadband provider must supply a MAC on request by the customer within five working days, along with its expiry date, and must not charge for this service
2 The new provider must accept a valid MAC.
3 The existing provider cannot withhold a MAC for any reason like debt collection, or for contractual reasons
4 If the customer requests for a MAC inside the minimum contract period the customer will still be liable for any contractual obligations (including paying subscription charges for the minimum contract period, etc)
5 The provider must explain the reasons to the customer if a MAC cannot be issued.
6 Providers should offer the customer reasonable assistance in migrating from or to another provider
7 The provider must not disconnect a customer’s service if a MAC is requested
8 The provider must provide two different ways to obtain a MAC (e.g. by phone, post, website, etc)
9 A provider must re-issue a MAC on subsequent requests if the previous MAC has expired
10 The new provider can still refuse to supply a service for business reasons including credit worthiness
11 It is only compulsory for an ISP to provide a MAC for home consumers and small businesses (with fewer than ten employees).

Oranged

• Reg Member
    • The Mobile Help Forum
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 09:50:01 AM »

If you cancel/migrate during a rolling 30 day contract period without giving the 7 days notice period this contract term applies:

7.7. If you're leaving home broadband, we'll give you a MAC code. Or you can call and tell us the
date you want to leave us, as you're not keeping broadband (or you're going to cable). You‟ll
be charged until your broadband is connected to your new supplier, or until your service with
us ends. Make sure you give us 7 days notice to avoid any additional charges.

Azzaka

• Reg Member
  • SysAdmin
    • A Designers Work in Progress
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »

Ahh Thanks Oranged.
I Sync', I Auth', therefore I am.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

anything