Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: main bt box  (Read 3241 times)

dajo4

• Just arrived
main bt box
« on: June 15, 2012, 04:11:56 PM »

hi
after plugging in my hub3 lead into the test socket (which improved my broadband speed to 2.9 mbps) I have lost my phone !! can anyone offer an explanation and a solution please??
dajo4

Re: main bt box
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »

When you unplug the lower cover of the faceplate then you disconnect all the internal phone wiring/extensions. That's why your phone doesn't work and also why its called a "test socket" - its meant to only test the BT side of the wiring, everything else in the house/flat is down to the owner.

In general if you plug into the test socket and your ADSL connection improves then the problem is with the wiring in your house. BT won't fix this unless you pay them (£138+VAT I think is the minimum charge) so its generally better to fix it yourself or get a sparky in who knows about ADSL.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 06:01:52 PM by rizla »

dajo4

• Just arrived
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »

hi again,
thanks for your reply.I thought that was the case but when I put the cover back the phone came back but I could'nt connect to the internet allthough all lights were blue on my hub!! as soon as I took the cover off my computer connected!!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 10:36:20 PM »

It does read as if you have an internal wiring problem.

Would you be able to take a photograph of the rear of the lower faceplate, showing your internal wiring connections, please?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

dajo4

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 08:43:17 AM »

hi
sorry no photo possible but bank of three connectors 2.3.5. on 5 wire white and blue,3 conn orange and white .2 conn looks like faded green and white

hope this helps
dajo

dajo4

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 09:28:00 AM »

whi

solved!!!before changing my box I closed down both computers then rebooted and phone now works speed is of course slower than with test socket but thanks for your help

dajo4

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »

sorry no photo possible but bank of three connectors 2.3.5. on 5 wire white and blue,3 conn orange and white .2 conn looks like faded green and white

Just gently pull out the orange with white striped wire from connector number 3. That will disconnect the (unnecessary) "ring" wire and give you back most of the speed which was obtainable when the modem/router was connected into the test socket.

Only two wires are now required with modern telephones. They are the ones connected to terminals 2 and 5. If you look closely at the colours, I hope you will find that you have a blue with white striped wire connected to IDC2 and a white with blue striped wire connected to IDC5.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.