Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Some animals** are more equal than others  (Read 1776 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Some animals** are more equal than others
« on: June 14, 2012, 02:31:06 PM »

Gentlefolk,

** with apologies to George Orwell's Animal Farm

Can anybody explain to me how a BT press announcement (see http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11076.msg215779.html#msg215779
...Due to the current network topography, and the economics of deployment, it is likely that some premises within the selected exchange areas will not initially be able to access fibre-based broadband. However, Openreach is actively looking at alternative solutions for these locations.
I.e. That parts of the BT network are already not fit for broadband purpose and yet now we are being encouraged to believe that From 15 Mbps "Up to 80 Mbps" is sufficient ?
(They've forgotten the recent Ofcom ruling that it should be 76 Mbps)

.... as FTTC and other copper-based technologies have sufficient capacity for the future.

"[FTTC] is far from being at its limit. We will be able to deliver far higher speeds over FTTC," he said at a House of Lords Select Committee meeting on Tuesday.

The ability to generate higher speeds doesn't solely rest with infrastructure providers, Williams added.

"Once you put an 80Mbps FTTC service into the premises the broadband network is no longer the speed bottleneck. The home Wi-Fi or devices can't cope with the speeds, or at the other end, the servers serving communications can't deliver the speed."

See http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/networking/2012/06/13/bt-not-all-of-the-uk-needs-full-fibre-broadband-40155379/?s_cid=118

I do wonder what BS might make of being instructed to get even more blood from his (creaking aluminium & copper) stone network ?
Perhaps he's able to relax and watch selected football matches ?

Kind regards,
Walter

Re: Some animals** are more equal than others
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 02:42:08 PM »

Our exchange is unlikely to even be considered for FTTC until 2015 at the earliest.

Swings and roundabouts on that one - means the backhaul on Sky is unlikely to ever reach saturation point at this exchange and we're not daisychained to death like Be/O2 are.

It also means that maybe by 2015 BT might have dropped the lunacy that is FTTC and gone to FTTP. I realise the access/installation problems are real with FTTP,  however FTTC is simply going to be a stopgap solution which will make little economic sense in a decade. The cabinets are neither cheap to run or cheap to maintain - ask Virgin about that, they get enough broken into/burned/etc each year :D

So I don't much care about FTTx at the moment. I'm sure I would if I didn't have a decent ADSL connection which always runs at linespeed but for now I'd rather not be on the "bleeding edge" :)